RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
10/24/21 8:44 p.m.

Spent some time today sorting the Sprites I bought a while back.
Most are 1275 powered, one is a 1098, and the Mk.II's have no drivetrains.
One of the Mk. II's is JUST a shell with doors.
No suspension beyond the rear 1/4 elliptic springs, no front sheet metal, no windshield or post. But I do have a set of top bows for it.
There is a chance its firewall may be sacrificed to restore a hacked ex-V8 Bugeye.
But if not, what to do with it?

Appears to be pretty much rust free and a Mk. II recently sold on BAT for more than a Bugeye.
Sell it so someone with a rusty Mk. II for a frame up restoration?
Shipping probably spoils that?

I still see it as too good to scrap but I have another that is more complete to possibly make a runner.

So open to suggestions and they may include altering the body shape with no limit on drivetrain beyond not to be Japanese so long as I own it.

It was one of these, looks like the "Modern" version but still uses side-curtains like a Bugeye and is nearly as light.

BRG Sprite Mk. II

matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
10/24/21 8:53 p.m.

Sell is always an option. It would seem to me that anyone looking at the time and expense of fixing a rusty Sprite would look at the cost of shipping a shell as small. If it does not sell, and you need space, chop it into repair panels that can be stored/shipped more easily.

There are always project ideas, but it sounds like anything with this would be further down than third in line, so move it on.

Just my view

JBinMD
JBinMD New Reader
10/24/21 9:30 p.m.

Needs three ingredients:  

1) Miata NB or ND suspension/brakes/diff.  

2) A modern 4 cylinder engine and trans of your choice.  

3) ALL the boost.  

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
10/24/21 9:40 p.m.

Sprite track is around 50", virtually all modern cars are 60".
Not sure how far you can narrow Miata bits, maybe a candidate for big box flares?
I've never built a LBC based Hot-Rod, if I could find a windshield it could happen since I think I may have a spare Buick V6 and know where to get several Buick 215's, but $$$$$ and TIME issue.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/24/21 9:52 p.m.

Find one of these with body damage even if it means shipping all the way from Japan

Swap Midget body on to Capuchino to make an Expresso. Just so happens to have the same wheelbase

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
10/24/21 10:15 p.m.

Vintage racer. Let me know where you are and what you have in total. I'm interested in this.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
10/24/21 11:21 p.m.

Northern Nevada near Reno.
I will have a couple of newer cars to part out but the rear axle housing is different.
Probably not real hard to find but not the same as later cars as the leaf springs are Bugeye type.
Whole shell is the same as a Bugeye from the rear of the doors forward.
Fiberglass Bugeye rear skins are available. devil

I may decide to part with the Midget Mk. 1 too since age is catching up with me and I have a half-dozen projects I MUST finish.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
10/27/21 2:11 p.m.

Dammit. I'm in Davis, about 20 miles west of Sacramento. And by "dammit" I mean, you are too close.  I'm a big spridget guy, and almost regret beginning the engine swap on my 62.  I'd really like a vintage racer after visiting CSRG at Sonoma a few weeks back. I could go with either the Midget Mk1 or the sprite MkII - I'm not a bugeye guy. Let me know what you are thinking price wise, and if I can get either of them in roller form (with engine/trans?). Might be time for a storage unit and start living the dream.  brust(dot)roethler(at)gmail(dot)com

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
10/27/21 3:47 p.m.

For vintage race you need a 948 engine, right?
I will have a set of carbs and rib-case trans that could be included.
Probably a front disc brake setup too.
For a racer you do not need a windshield?

I need to sort the stack of parts but it may be that the only 948 I have will be the one from the Morris Minor. Currently running but obviously not race spec.
I am planning to build and swap in a 1098 so will not really need the 948 anymore.
The car the 1098 is coming out of is bent, so lots of possible parts.

If I've done this right I will have a few 1275's to play with for my Bugeye build, rib-case trans, and a lot of suspension parts.
Early/roadster cars use the 1/4 elliptic springs so the only correct rear axle I have is in the Midget Mk. II.
Not certain if I will need it for the Bugeye.

I've been working on my trailer all morning in an effort to be able to go get the cars and sort them. Also need the trailer to go get the hacked Bugeye that is supposed to make the square-tail cars surplus.
Have to remount my fenders after foolishly loaning the trailer out.
Cannot replace my welding gas until Thursday but I have everything tacked up.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
10/29/21 7:52 p.m.

Got the Midget excavated today.
Disappointed to find it has no rear axle.
But the tub and doors are almost perfectly strait, appears to have never been hit and and so far very rust free. Need to clean out the interior to get a good look at the floors.
Hope to sort out a set of fenders and hood next trip.
Race car seems a good plan for it.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
10/30/21 11:39 a.m.

Found a rear end in Auburn.

Email sent.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
11/9/21 12:13 a.m.

Been off-line a few days due to "System failure" at my ISP.

Needing to resolve what I am doing with the Mk. I Midget.
I've gathered a lot of parts for it so it is potentially pretty complete.
Very restorable in a frame up way. Or, Race Car, minus many of the rare street parts.

Also have the Sprite Mk. II shell, less complete but also restorable, particularly if the Midget goes Race Car.  Or, Race Car the Sprite.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HRZmpKaXJSMIt9iNzGP6yERuzNntDrIEWHAb1zrgLUkChcBAVTGZKClvhq8g9DXo