1 2 3 4
ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/27/19 9:30 p.m.

April of 2003.  It was a Saturn SW2 with like 230k miles on it.  I think I got 7th overall.  Lol college events.

I later had:

'97 SC2 (STS)

'94 SL2 (STS)

half a season in a '02 2.5RS in STS

Co-drove a '03 WRX in STX for a few years

'06 S2000 in STR (not prepped though)

Co-drove then bought a '94 Miata in STR from a friend

Then took a few years off and then rallyxed an '03 Nissan Sentra SpecV, which is currently sitting in my driveway and hasn't been driven in like 2 years :/

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/27/19 9:34 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

That's the guy. I was on the BOD there in the mid 2000's 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/19 9:37 p.m.

My first autocross car was a 1985 Chevy Cavalier. It was truly awful.

My first gutted race car was a 1979 Civic 1200. I miss that little car.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/27/19 11:35 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

So you probably know all the dudes who literally got me hooked on this Sport. Barnes would have been around then or shortly after and he's the reason I am as overly involved and invested in the SCCA and autox as I am. 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
6/28/19 5:07 a.m.
Grizz said:

No autox or track time yet because poverty but I have sadly settled on the vehicle.

I assume Fred the Dakota will embarrass everyone when he finally gets unleashed on a track.

There we go! My first auto-x must have been in 98 with my pretty much brand new Dakota R/T; it was ridiculous fun. Like John I happened to see them in the parking lot at North Park mall in Davenport and chased them around to find out where next. When I moved to Illinois later that year I sold the RT and ran a diplomat interceptor for a few years while paying off college. Then a 93 Dakota club cab that I put a Mopar Perfomamce 360 in. It was fun but really to long for the technical courses. About 2002 I fell into a free 944 that was a seriously good momentum car and the light went on. I was parting out rabbits at the time so I built a wicked little 83 GTI and enjoyed that. Someone bought it and I found a 84 GTI auto-x car that was being sold due to the new mkv coming out and had that til 2009. I haven’t auto-xed since 2007 though, kids work house wife blah blah blah.

My 84, it was built by driftingti on Vortex and run by a bunch of the old vortex guys between 94 and 04 when I bought it. It was a seriously good car.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
6/28/19 5:33 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

1958 Baker Black Jack Special photograph

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
6/28/19 5:41 a.m.

My first time on a track was at Road America in the car on the right.  Then a  BMW CCA Drivers school in it.  About my third time at RA I hit the kink at the top of fourth in that car it produced a slight four wheel drift.  15 years later I youtubed that corner and just found a bunch of crashes when a drift turned into a slide.

After that was a long break until I got the car in the small picture on the left, 1992 Mustang.  A few hundred laps at Gingerman and Grattan in that car.   Now I'm building a 2008 Mustang and Lemons race an 89 Mustang.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/28/19 7:14 a.m.

Autocrossed my F150 Lightning once in 2005ish. Liked it but the automatic made it very hard to get a good time. So i went and drag raced it.

Got invited years later to try autocross again and took the chance with my beater 2002 Elantra. Had a blast and got hooked. Started to run my 2005 Mustang GT in F stock, then thing spiraled out of control and i got hooked on HPDE's.

Now im building my Fiesta ST for fun weekend fun, auto-x(not classed) and track day use, am building a Chump Car/ Lemons racer and try to hit every event i can.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/28/19 7:19 a.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

Oh yeah. Barnes, The good doctor and his 3 rotor FD, Pedroza and his varying degrees of Miata toys, I co-drove some with Rich Windberg Scirocco at a few national tour events, Greg Ward was the el presidente at the time, Tom Holt and his Z car......Great crew. 

Pedroza lived right around the corner from me for a while and he is the reason I was hooked on V8 miata and finally had to scratch that itch. I'd hear it every day because we lef for work about the same time usually. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
6/28/19 7:23 a.m.
akylekoz said:

In reply to frenchyd :

1958 Baker Black Jack Special photograph

Thank you. Isn’t that out in California after I sold it to Gary Cox? 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
6/28/19 7:29 a.m.

In reply to Don49 :

No pic of the Fiat, but here is the Honda at McGuire in 1972

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/19 8:18 a.m.
ae86andkp61 said:

This was my do-it-all 1985 AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S at trackday sometime in the late-90’s. I autocrossed it, daily drove it, rallycrossed it, drifted it, took it to trackdays,  competed in TSD rally with it, went up into the hills with mountain bikes on the roof rack, moved my stuff with it several times...what fun we had together!

This is why I really like this sort of car, a lightweight and affordable 2+2 sports coupe, you can do everything with it on a small budget. I hope to have a Toyobaru for my next one.

Powar
Powar UltraDork
6/28/19 8:30 a.m.

I started autocrossing in '03 in my '92 Taurus SHO. This photo was taken at my very first event. The expression on my face says it all...

I ran that car for a season then bought a '90 Miata as an 18th birthday present to myself in '04. 

My first (and second) track days were run in my '90 Saab 900S. Here it is at the first one at Nelson Ledges:

Tons of fun. I miss driving fast.

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
6/28/19 9:03 a.m.

Mine was a 93 Camry xle V6. This was back in high school...

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/28/19 9:06 a.m.

I just bought a miata.. It will be my first.  My CRX didn't get onto course despite best wishes and hopes.

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
6/28/19 11:24 a.m.

First autocross in 1996 was in my 1993 Ford Probe GT.

First wheel to wheel race was in a 1985 Toyota MR2 ITA car in 2003.

ggarrard
ggarrard GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/28/19 11:59 a.m.

My first Autocross was sometime around 1975 with a 1969 stock Datsun 510...followed shortly by a 1970 510 with a single Weber 45, header, and BF Goodrich TAs on 13x6 Corsair steel rims.   Eventually wandered away with school and summer jobs,  then late 78 went to watch a CASC regional race and encountered a former competitor running his 510 in GT2.  Ended up crewing for him for the next 4 years in the Ontario and Quebec regional series.  Family and life etc distracted me again until 10 years ago met another former competitor who was resurrecting his 63 MGB to run Vintage with VARAC.  Told him I was game to help and we haven’t looked back....  

Always have had at least one play car thru the years, but don’t bother with any competitive seat time anymore...

Gordon

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
6/28/19 12:04 p.m.

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 in late 2001 or early 2002. A friend I only knew online from Focaljet invited me out. If only I knew where this hobby would take me. 

sergio
sergio Reader
6/28/19 12:33 p.m.

First autocross car a 1971 RX2, first track car 89 Taurus SHO 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
6/28/19 1:08 p.m.

IIRC it was '69. Pic taken on the track by my mom after 1st race. The "track" was a missile silo access road for an old NIKE site in Shelton CT.  Track's gone and it's a recreation center now with football, soccer, baseball, etc.

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/scan%20pics/Scan_Pic0001.jpg.html][/URL]

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/28/19 1:34 p.m.

1986 VW GTi 8v.

But no pictures, so I guess it didn't happen.

And my current "race" car is a 1998 Eclipse GS with blown head gasket.   *sigh*

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
6/28/19 1:41 p.m.

1957 Goliath  multi purpose car.

keithedwards
keithedwards New Reader
6/28/19 7:52 p.m.

My first autocross was in 1981 in NJ, at a Vintage Triumph Register national meet, in my white '62 TR3B.  My first track event was a few years later at Summit Point, WV, driving my yellow and blue '62 TR3B. I autocrossed various Hondas over the years, and ran wheel-to-wheel in an '85 CRX Si in Honda Challenge with NASA for 10 seasons.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/28/19 10:27 p.m.

I posted photos of my autocross cars on page one. I didn't think to mention my first wheel to wheel racing.

One horsepower, in a sulky, Seminole Harness Raceway, about 1980.

I don't have any racing photos due to a house fire, but my avatar is a fast training mile from Pompano Park in about 1982.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
6/29/19 12:42 a.m.
keithedwards said 

I'm so happy the safety chains are hooked up on the trailer. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
55Ikv04xkS3cUViN6VfVox8RbQhc0zZjrRKU5rgih3NgOGyninCGNKEw6oPsPHuZ