Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/23/18 2:38 p.m.

In reply to Byrneon27 :

What were you driving last year?

And you're in an mr2 this year?

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 New Reader
9/23/18 2:48 p.m.

Black miata I'm trying to think what would make it stand out I guess rather than cleaning the orange wheels for the concourse we painted them black. I'd bet it was th only car in challenge history to have a full service history. 

The MR2 is close exhaust/supercharger plumbing and wiring are what we have left. Should know by week's end if its joining us. If not my 318is is just under challenge money. Our B15 SER spec V rallyx car is well under challenge money. There are options many many options. 

daeman
daeman Dork
9/23/18 5:00 p.m.

The whole living on another continent thing is a bit of an obstacle....

But I'd love to make it to the challenge one day as a competitor, hell, even as a spectator it'd be worth it just to see the craziness in the flesh.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
9/23/18 5:15 p.m.
daeman said:

But I'd love to make it to the challenge one day as a competitor, hell, even as a spectator it'd be worth it just to see the craziness in the flesh.

UH, NOT  Ask Fred, aka FreeFred, and where the heck is he, he was from N.Z. not OZ  I think. but still haven't heard since the Challenge Last Year.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/18 5:38 p.m.
GTXVette said:
daeman said:

UH, NOT  Ask Fred, aka FreeFred, and where the heck is he, he was from N.Z. not OZ  I think. but still haven't heard since the Challenge Last Year.

NZ.  I talk to fred on a regular basis, super cool guy. Last year when I told hobiercr to take someone to the Jerk Center(a Jamaican restaurant) Fred chimed in with perfect timing “what is that some kind of mutual masturbation club?”

daeman
daeman Dork
9/23/18 6:06 p.m.

In reply to GTXVette :

I did say a bit of an obstacle, not completely insurmountable, but definitely makes it a little harder. Still, it's on the "to do list"

Does or did Fred at one stage have a Kia 2.0l swapped Mazda b2600? 

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
9/24/18 10:00 a.m.

I would gladly sign up if GRM brought back the carved Roast Beef and the Ham  soiree and those little potatoes and endless salad . 3 kegs of beer one for Thursday /Friday and then Saturday nights and with the challenge entries putting on a craft beer challenge . 

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/24/18 1:58 p.m.

In reply to Karl La Follette :

So in other words, Free Food and Beer. Seems to be a no-brainer...

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/24/18 2:28 p.m.

I'm working like hell to have my entry done by the 6th. It's going to be a close call, and still ugly as hell, if we make it. We're not expecting to win, but we're hoping to have a really good time in the process =)

Make the event fun. You might be at risk of niching down past GRM, and into a group that just wants to argue about roll cages all day. 

There are Hooptiecon and Radwood events all over the damn place...people are going because it looks like a cheap, fun time with cars. Do the craft beer challenge, and hope that guy above with the WTF-bus shows up again. Award extra points for period-correct dress during the consourse preso.  Have some of your friends bring out cool/weird cars they have in their garage. Have a guy there with a welder that can teach me how to weld...or even weld aluminum! Bring a portable rack and teach people how to do DIY string alignments, or how to tweak common suspension setups. Have the professional drivers discuss how they would attack the course.  Set up a spray tent and let people try to lay down a coat of paint using a Harbour Freight compressor and gun, give the setup away to the person that does the best job. Have a DJ, or just leave some guitars, bongo drums and beer laying around (after the race is done, of course).

The editorial stuff about past challenge teams is great too-every one of these builds has it's share of drama, genius, heartbreak and hard work.

Karl La Follette
9/24/18 3:33 p.m.

that guy above with the WTF-bus ?      Mestinks  goth does protest to much 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/24/18 5:49 p.m.

In his defence Karl, WTF was what I said to myself the first time I met you.  In a good way of course.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/24/18 5:55 p.m.

Ha! Definitely meant it as a compliment.

Karl La Follette
9/24/18 7:02 p.m.

Defence       hippohead.com  Go Bucs ! Go Bucs !

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
9/24/18 7:40 p.m.

If Karl put a brass pole on the bus, and brought the entertainment. And burritos. The pole should have a hole cage

Karl La Follette
10/8/20 1:30 p.m.

I think thats the sucka vette

1 ... 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VVuW75kbhqFtB11kPnfMArOq5iAkQSjHjUTZR5ePOsjtD2xJaKUOqtDWjcUzYxsA