1 2 3
nepa03focus
nepa03focus HalfDork
10/16/15 7:02 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: i like the Chevette idea, but make sure you find the plainest, most boring 4 door you can find... preferably brown...

It really seems like they were all brown

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/16/15 8:06 p.m.

Some time ago I ran across a thread where a Turbo Solstice drive line was going into a Chevette. Sadly lost track, the guy seemed to know what he was doing. It was a clean early Chevette too.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/16/15 9:21 p.m.

You could buy my Opel Manta and swap it in.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
10/16/15 9:27 p.m.

Id vote for chevy luv truck.

With custom fabbed suspension and box flares.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
10/17/15 10:47 a.m.
nepa03focus wrote:
novaderrik wrote: i like the Chevette idea, but make sure you find the plainest, most boring 4 door you can find... preferably brown...
It really seems like they were all brown

i've seen them in red, blue, and yellow in addition to the various shades of brown that most of them had..

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/15 11:14 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Id vote for chevy luv truck. With custom fabbed suspension and box flares.

Chevy Luv with a flare side box.. You could widen it and people would never notice

NOT A TA
NOT A TA HalfDork
10/17/15 11:52 a.m.

Because we're all enablers here. http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/35479-Project-Chevette-Turbocharged-Ecotec

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
10/17/15 12:24 p.m.

I would put it in a locust or another small kit car.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
10/17/15 12:50 p.m.

I'd go Locost. There are better things to stuff into a chevette.

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
10/17/15 1:32 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: I'd go Locost. There are better things to stuff into a chevette.

Everyone stuffs a smallblock in them. Hell since my friends 4 door didnt sell hes stuffing a gen3 350 in it sometime this winter.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/17/15 2:55 p.m.

Similar to the Chevette idea, but I say Vega. Almost every one I see is a V8 converted roller with no engine so perfect for the swap. Panaports and go.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
10/17/15 4:45 p.m.

Two pages in and no one said Locost? The world is changing.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
10/17/15 4:47 p.m.

In reply to Type Q:

4th post on the 1st page mentioned Locost.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
10/17/15 5:34 p.m.
dropstep wrote:
G_Body_Man wrote: I'd go Locost. There are better things to stuff into a chevette.
Everyone stuffs a smallblock in them. Hell since my friends 4 door didnt sell hes stuffing a gen3 350 in it sometime this winter.

gen3 350?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/17/15 6:36 p.m.

And a turbo!

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
10/17/15 6:39 p.m.
novaderrik wrote:
dropstep wrote:
gen3 350?

98 vortec 5.7, im no chevy guy but i thought that was gen 3.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
10/17/15 7:00 p.m.

THIS

Or just sell it to me cheap. I now have 4 Chevettes and one needs a drivetrain.

egoman
egoman New Reader
10/17/15 7:46 p.m.

The Opel GT idea is as far as this post needed to go, at least until a build thread is started.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
10/17/15 11:15 p.m.

I don't know how anybody could dislike those motors. 200/200 stock, ridiculous HP potential - and they stay together.

Would be nice in a clean first gen S10

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
10/18/15 3:11 a.m.
dropstep wrote:
novaderrik wrote:
dropstep wrote:
gen3 350?
98 vortec 5.7, im no chevy guy but i thought that was gen 3.

more like a gen 1.5 since they are just a regular '87 and newer roller cam small block with better heads and a goofy fuel injection setup, with the LT1/LT4/L99 engines that came out in the 92 Vatte being gen 2 since they had reverse cooling with a timing chain driven water pump and cam driven front mounted distributor..

yeah, they came out in the wrong order, but none of this silly "gen whatever" stuff took hold until the GM marketing people needed a label for the new family of small block replacement engines that were coming out in the all new "C5" Corvette in '97, which is also where the naming scheme for the generations of Corvettes came from and got retroactively applied to the older cars..

the gen 3 and gen 4 are most commonly known as the "LS" engine family, with the new direct injected engines that came out a couple of years ago being the gen 5..

NickD
NickD Reader
10/18/15 6:55 a.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: I don't know how anybody could dislike those motors. 200/200 stock, ridiculous HP potential - and they stay together. Would be nice in a clean first gen S10

The LE5 was only 173hp and 164lb-ft in this application. And the GM Ecotec 4-cylinders don't hold together that well. Most of the 2.4Ls require timing chains by 50K miles (They get rattling like crazy, engine runs poor, break the tensioners, throw CELs), pistons and rings by 70K miles (Start burning oil like they are a 2-stroke) and then usually need timing chains again at 100K miles, despite GM saying that the timing chains are good for life.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
10/18/15 7:12 a.m.

I think you're confused.

NickD
NickD Reader
10/18/15 7:22 a.m.

In reply to Zomby Woof:

Me? No, I work at a GM dealership. And there is at least one 2.4L in every week getting timing chains and/or pistons and rings. There's even bulletins out about the oil consumption.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/18/15 7:46 a.m.

Paging Evan to thre...

EvanB wrote: You could buy my Opel Manta and swap it in.

That.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/18/15 7:50 a.m.
NickD wrote: In reply to Zomby Woof: Me? No, I work at a GM dealership. And there is at least one 2.4L in every week getting timing chains and/or pistons and rings. There's even bulletins out about the oil consumption.

The only time I see that is with people who forget to to get oil changes done. Typically if the engine is over 5k since the last oil change, the oil filter is collapsed in on itself, wasp-waisted. Change the damn oil regularly and they go 200k easily without opening the engine. 5k+ service intervals are wasteful in that they make good cars get scrapped before their time.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7HvsaBTbFkGRlVT8kKdwZHhEyO59X5g78f48eA3T4TK80gPIkN1KmRRFqvDGIPhd