Storz
Storz SuperDork
5/5/16 7:51 a.m.

2012 Jetta TDI, 68k miles. Obvious buyback coming in the next months...

Yesterday the check engine light comes on along with a flashing glow plug light. I pop my little scan tool on it and the code comes back as P246E "Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor #4"

As you can imagine, I don't want to put any money into this thing.

I have an appointment tomorrow morning at the local dealership to get it officially diagnosed, going to try to get it warrantied, but if they refuse to cover it what are my options? I certainly don't want to have a big failure of the DPF system because it is not doing regen cycles (caused by not having a functioning EGT sensor)

Wish I could just park it, but I need to get to work...

gearheadmb
gearheadmb HalfDork
5/5/16 7:57 a.m.

Not enough info to decide yet. Wait and see what the dealer says. Maybe they warranty, problem solved. Maybe they don't, but it's not too expensive, no big deal. Maybe it's a repair you can handle. So yeah, wait and see, report back.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
5/5/16 10:40 a.m.

I would just see what the dealer says and then go from there..

TGMF
TGMF Reader
5/5/16 11:15 a.m.

can you limp by as is? If there is a pending buy back, going to the dealer to diagnose a potential costly repair might lower VW's buy back offer no? I'd be tempted to limit driving it as much as possible, and reset it before bringing it in for buy back inspection.

Storz
Storz SuperDork
5/5/16 11:19 a.m.
TGMF wrote: can you limp by as is? If there is a pending buy back, going to the dealer to diagnose a potential costly repair might lower VW's buy back offer no? I'd be tempted to limit driving it as much as possible, and reset it before bringing it in for buy back inspection.

My scan tool won't reset it.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
5/5/16 12:09 p.m.
Storz wrote:
TGMF wrote: can you limp by as is? If there is a pending buy back, going to the dealer to diagnose a potential costly repair might lower VW's buy back offer no? I'd be tempted to limit driving it as much as possible, and reset it before bringing it in for buy back inspection.
My scan tool won't reset it.

disconnecting the battery will though

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi New Reader
5/5/16 12:42 p.m.

Did you join the goodwill program? That $500 dealer credit would be nice to use for this.

Storz
Storz SuperDork
5/5/16 12:47 p.m.
Devilsolsi wrote: Did you join the goodwill program? That $500 dealer credit would be nice to use for this.

I did, and that is the plan. When I posted this earlier I didn't realize the DPF was covered under federal warranty for 80k miles. Definitely a relief.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/5/16 2:14 p.m.

In reply to Storz:

Before you go to the dealer, I would take a few minutes to read through the emissions warranty information that came with the owners manual. Even the dealership people don't always know exactly what is covered.

Storz
Storz SuperDork
5/5/16 2:16 p.m.
Danny Shields wrote: In reply to Storz: Before you go to the dealer, I would take a few minutes to read through the emissions warranty information that came with the owners manual. Even the dealership people don't always know exactly what is covered.

Good idea

Storz
Storz SuperDork
5/6/16 6:34 a.m.

Wish me luck, sitting up at the dealership now.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
5/6/16 6:42 a.m.

If it drives fine with the code tripped and the light on, and the dealership/VW will not warranty the repair, I would just drive it as is.

Storz
Storz SuperDork
5/6/16 6:50 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote: If it drives fine with the code tripped and the light on, and the dealership/VW will not warranty the repair, I would just drive it as is.

That's the plan. I am willing to put the $500 VW Goodwill card towards it, but not a penny more

wclark
wclark Reader
5/6/16 7:04 a.m.

In reply to Storz:

You should have an 8/80K emissions warranty. Anything that affects emissions should be covered and that would include the EGT sensors since they are used to control the DPF cycle. Dealers often blow consumers off (not just VW, all brands) so if yours tries to not cover it call VWoA.

Storz
Storz SuperDork
5/6/16 7:09 a.m.
wclark wrote: In reply to Storz: You should have an 8/80K emissions warranty. Anything that affects emissions should be covered and that would include the EGT sensors since they are used to control the DPF cycle. Dealers often blow consumers off (not just VW, all brands) so if yours tries to not cover it call VWoA.

Yep, the service advisor told me that only the DPF itself was covered and not any of the sensors around it.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
5/6/16 7:12 a.m.

Typically if there is an issue with that sensor, the result will be that you won't get any regens for specifically the reason you mention. Too many is worse than not enough, but you would potentially risk face plugging the DPF depending on your drive cycle. Since the code is EGTS4, I'm assuming there are 3 other ones, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Storz
Storz SuperDork
5/6/16 7:15 a.m.
gearheadE30 wrote: Typically if there is an issue with that sensor, the result will be that you won't get any regens for specifically the reason you mention. Too many is worse than not enough, but you would potentially risk face plugging the DPF depending on your drive cycle. Since the code is EGTS4, I'm assuming there are 3 other ones, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Good to know. If it can be covered under warranty or the $500 VW card I'll do the fix, if not then I am just going to ride it out till the buyback.

There was also a recall to reflash the ECU, can't wait to see what a turd it is after that

Oh well, the clock is ticking on this thing....

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
5/6/16 7:35 a.m.

That should be covered. There should be a mechanism to check the part number against any applicable warranty coverage.

I'm cheap. If it is just the sensor, pay them for their time and new part and replace it myself to avoid the reflash.

I too am just waiting on the first day for the buybacks to start... I like the car but damn it's starting to squeak and rattle worse then a mid 80's GM G-body.

Storz
Storz SuperDork
5/6/16 7:37 a.m.

Just got word, it is the EGT sensor. He is sticking with that it's not a warranty issue. $500 to replace and they don't have it in stock.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
5/6/16 7:56 a.m.

Time for his boss.... That crap is normally covered. If O2 sensors are covered on gassers.....

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/6/16 8:02 a.m.

Here's a document that points out what is covered- https://www3.epa.gov/obd/pubs/420f15035.pdf It appears that at 80k, only the catalyst and the computer are covered.

But it also notes that there should be a list in the owners manual that is complete.

Given what is going on, though, the car is already exceeding the legal limits, so waiting until VW buys it back isn't going to change much vs. fixing it now.... (hard to say that, but it is reality)

Storz
Storz SuperDork
5/6/16 8:36 a.m.

I am having them replace the sensor, the Goodwill money is covering it so for me there is no out of pocket costs. I just need the car to last a few more months until the buyback without the DPF failing and I feel like several months of no regens would have been a bad idea

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
5/6/16 8:57 a.m.
Storz wrote: There was also a recall to reflash the ECU, can't wait to see what a turd it is after that Oh well, the clock is ticking on this thing....

You don't have to have it done. I had the Sportwagen in for a door panel rattle, and told them not to reflash the ECU, they said okay. On our previous Jetta there was a filler neck modification recall to keep morons from putting gas nozzles in the filler, I told them not to do that, and they obliged then as well.

Storz
Storz SuperDork
5/6/16 9:04 a.m.
bigdaddylee82 wrote:
Storz wrote: There was also a recall to reflash the ECU, can't wait to see what a turd it is after that Oh well, the clock is ticking on this thing....
You don't have to have it done. I had the Sportwagen in for a door panel rattle, and told them not to reflash the ECU, they said okay. On our previous Jetta there was a filler neck modification recall to keep morons from putting gas nozzles in the filler, I told them not to do that, and they obliged then as well.

At this point I honestly don't really care, they did the reflash and no noticeable performance difference on my way home.

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi New Reader
5/6/16 9:07 a.m.
bigdaddylee82 wrote:

Interesting. The last 3 times I have been to the dealer they have tried to get me to do the same recall that has already been done.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YRHYcGf8MIqCz8UwzDGl3Rrjv1kUl77OGYNNTraoBT9QDEU9OtkL3tDYLFgli0Nq