1 2
kanaric
kanaric Reader
6/13/13 1:12 a.m.

that is the nicest one i've seen lol

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/13/13 1:25 a.m.

It does have some rust underneath. Not terminal by any means, but it's there. These old Subarus RUST.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
6/13/13 7:17 a.m.

My 2 cents. Personally I would sell the body kit. Get it running. Take it to the challenge (seems like you could do sub $1000 class). Autocross it some and enjoy it. When you are done, I bet some one here would be interested.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
6/13/13 7:18 a.m.

Screw the history, build something fun.

Ad you already noted, people seem to be interested in preserving history right up to the point where they need to open their wallets. When I got the Wartburg there was a large contingent that wanted it preserved, so I offered to sell it for a reasonable price to anyone who wished to do so. Nothing but the chirping of crickets. After I "destroyed" it the same people are up in arms about it but a) they didnt care enough to pay to stop me and b) destroyed or not its about the only Wartburg that is actually driving the roads of the US these days

Just have fun with it

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
6/13/13 8:03 a.m.

Challenge it. If you need crew, I think I can finaggle some time off this Fall.

SlickDizzy
6/13/13 9:56 a.m.

It is also interesting to note that this car has been passed around like an STD for the past ~5 years, usually swapping hands for triple-digit prices. Nobody has been able to get the thing tuned very well. Subaru engine management sucks the big one; this car has a VF11 turbo, T-Bird intercooler, Delta cams, WRX cat and 3" exhaust, MBC, lightened flywheel, etc so I don't think the stock EFI system is really helping a whole lot. Previous owners have claimed 200HP but I don't buy it one bit, especially on the crap stock downpipe. It's a shame TWE only made ~15 EA82 downpipes, they are unobtainium but with one of those and MegaSquirt I could probably actually develop the car further. I also have my own EA82 unobtainium - a one-off set of Venom injectors - which I may experiment with.

SlickDizzy
6/13/13 10:34 a.m.

Build thread: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/1987-subaru-xt-turbo-monster-wedge/65640/page1/

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/15/13 8:38 p.m.

Screw the history.

One of the most fun cars I've ever driven was an EJ33 powered XT6. Holy crap!!

Had no problem whatsoever eating an NSX for lunch on the Tail of the Dragon.

Find an old SVX with a blown transmission, and the rest of the swap is cake.

It's the car I've always intended to build for the Challenge, but never have.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VLenZFGt25boeInh1f7znd9fBMsThm6mIIcai4TnMGuvyeCY3kLUCGCUaBjUYXaS