mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
11/10/18 8:46 p.m.

Hi all,

About a month ago I bought a 2007 Mazda 3, with the 2.3L engine. This is my first car that uses a cartridge style oil filter. The car came with the following filter wrench:

Note on the bottom left that this is supposed to fit 74 to 76mm filter caps. When I tried using this wrench to remove the filter cartridge, it didn't fit very snug, and the wrench just spun without turning the cartridge cap. Short of buying a dealer tool from Mazda ($$$), can you recommend me a good fitting one to buy? 

Thanks!

AutoOccultist
AutoOccultist Reader
11/10/18 9:14 p.m.

I dealt with this for years over 3 different mazda 3s and one mazda 5. You need to buy a wrench for the exact size of the filter. Its Something like 75.6mm. search for Mazda 3 filter wrench. I bought one a few months before i got rid of my last mzr and it made oil changes much easier. Before that I was using a wrench like you have and stuffing paper towels between it and the filter then banging it on with a rubber mallet. 

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
11/10/18 9:17 p.m.

I use a multi size plastic filter wrench on my 5.  I’ll be out there tomorrow to check for a brand name on it.  It’s 20-30 years old.  I also use a large set of channel locks, also known as Jurassic pliers.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
11/10/18 9:46 p.m.

We have 3 of them in the family that I maintain. I just use a standard metal strap oil filter wrench. It works just fine. 

You can also use parts from a 2009+ Mazda5 or various ford pard to convert it to a spin on filter, like that which came new with the in-laws 2009 Mazda5.  We swapped our 07 Mazda3 2.3 for a 2.5 from. 2012 Fusion and now use the spin on filter that was standard on that motor 

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
11/10/18 9:56 p.m.

That's a funky design. I've always loved my cartridge filters but I'm a bit spoiled by BMW/MB where all I need is a 13mm.

spandak
spandak Reader
11/10/18 11:05 p.m.

I went to the dealer to get the OEM Mazda one and they pointed me to an aftermarket one fractions of a mm larger. Works fine for me! 

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
11/11/18 7:49 p.m.

This is the one I use.

Stanger2000
Stanger2000 Reader
11/14/18 10:15 a.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

Funky or just plain PITA to further deter ppl from DIY maintenance on their cars.  Having owned an E36, I concur the BMW/MB at least of yesteryear w/ the simple nut holding the oil filter housing lid on was and may be the best, not to mention spill proof system was nice.  MY VW uses a similar type of housing as this Mazda, but I've never resorted to the specific socket.  I've gotten by with channel locks w/ a rag wrapped around the housing or a simple rubber strap wrench(accessibility permitting in this case).  Of course mine is conveniently located behind the radiator at the front of the engine but requires a dozen or so torx screws be removed in order to take off the plastic undertray covering it (hence PITA).   

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CV1GyoyYucl0YLsQmTPMABUraV0gMNbAhUpP7PLnX7gkSO894nIHBh7FniA455a2