1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
11/2/22 1:31 p.m.

I'll never get tired of looking at cutaway displays. 

GaryC83
GaryC83 Reader
11/2/22 1:50 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Thanks for all the coverage! If you GRM folks happen to go by the Absorber booth or the AM Hot Rod Glass booth, tell whoever is there that Gary from Rad Rides said to give you the 2 buck tour of the 41 (Absorber booth) or the salt flats '32 (AMHG). The drivetrain work on the reverse flow flathead '32 is insane. Well worth checking out -  you'd appreciate it. 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/2/22 1:51 p.m.

OF ELANTRA N SHOW CARS

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/2/22 1:54 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

We'll see if Tom can find some. Oddly, no SEMA 2022 photos on Hyundai's media site. 

David S. Wallens
11/2/22 2:01 p.m.

Another new wheel from Mackin Industries. The 19-inch Volk Racing NE24 in Shining Black Metal. (I think JG and I once saw them open for GWAR.)

msterbeau
msterbeau Reader
11/2/22 2:11 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

The Scalar SCR1, kinda like an EV BRZ.

Not "kinda like".  That's exactly what it is.  I'm curious how much they've changed the suspension.  I'm guessing the rest of the chassis has been substantially altered to accommodate the batteries and move to mid-engine.  Also curious (As always) about price.  Doesn't look cheap.  

David S. Wallens
11/2/22 2:25 p.m.

In reply to msterbeau :

The "kinda like" was a joke. 

Tom Suddard
11/2/22 2:35 p.m.

Ok this is cool. Lowrider RC cars:

David S. Wallens
11/2/22 2:53 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Oh yes. '58 Chevy offered? 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
11/2/22 3:06 p.m.

Even with Daddy Dave's new Audi S5 reveal, I want to say, "Nothing to see here, move along." 

Yes, Bryce greens repainted stolen c10, meh. Cato's upholstery Boogie nights truck, meh. And I really like both builds. You got Ryan martins dime piece on display at tmi interiors booth, meh. 

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
11/2/22 3:24 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

New from Factory Five: Pair a modern F-150 cab and running gear with their kit, and you'll get a Raptor-beating trophy truck with 20 inches of suspension travel. Time to start browsing Co-Part for a wrecked pickup. 

Oh hell yea. 

David S. Wallens
11/2/22 4:01 p.m.

New from Konig: the flow-formed Ultragram.

Tom Suddard
11/2/22 4:13 p.m.

This is cool: threaded wire brush to clean nuts and bolts. 

Tom Suddard
11/2/22 4:16 p.m.

And here's a kit to turn your IRS into a live axle. Drag racers are wild....

David S. Wallens
11/2/22 4:35 p.m.
dyintorace said:

How about the 911 GT3 with a WRX motor in it? Has anyone been able to look it over?

Some photos and details lifted from the Eneos site since it's in their booth:

At the 2021 SEMA show, ENEOS unveiled an incredible E30 BMW with an F20C Honda 2.0L engine swap. The high-revving, lightweight powerplant was the perfect upgrade for the 40 year-old car, creating an intriguing track weapon for builder and professional drift racer, Faruk Kugay from DevSpeed Motorsports.

This year, Faruk will debut his latest creation: a 2007 997.1 Porsche 911 GT3. It was bought at auction as a rolling shell after it was crashed and stripped by a previous owner. With no engine and a reputation for fascinating swaps, Faruk chose a 2008 Subaru Impreza STI EJ25 engine to keep the “boxer” configuration, uniting two companies with incredible racing heritage both on tarmac and in the forests.

The goal was to create a track weapon. The EJ25 is 170 lb lighter than the original GT3 powerplant and can be modified to exceed the 911’s stock 415hp output. To that end, the ENEOS-lubricated STI engine was upgraded with a BorgWarner EFR 7064-C turbo and a massive Vibrant Vertical Flow intercooler. It was fitted with Deatschwerks fuel injectors, rails and pumps, which draw from a Nuke Performance fuel cell and fuel system. By adding a custom exhaust system, Faruk was aiming for 550hp, which will be transmitted to the rear wheels through the Impreza’s six-speed transmission with a reverse-cut ring gear and bellhousing from Subarugears in Australia, assembled by SubiWorks in Murrieta, CA.

With the GT3’s competition future, DevSpeed sourced GT3R racecar bodywork from VAD Design in Great Britain. Not only does it revive one of Porsche’s muscular competition cars but the expansive fenders accommodate huge 19×10” front and 19×13” Rotiform 917 wheels, which themselves are fashioned after a legendary Porsche design.

Putting the power to the pavement, the ENEOS GT3 was equipped with extremely sticky Toyo Proxes R888R tires measuring 265/35 R19 front and huge 345/30 R19 rear. These DOT-approved competition tires are designed to give the driver full control in extreme driving situations including road racing and track days.

BC Racing adjustable coilovers keep the rubber on the road, while the bodyshell has been stiffened with a CNC-bent rollcage from CageKits. It was built remotely after the interior was 3D scanned by Illumasthetic and the precise dimensions sent to CageKits. Machine-bent tubes were shipped to DevSpeed for Marcus Fry to weld the incredibly close-fitting cage.

Another motorsports addition is the Nuke Performance Air Jack 90 Competition system, which will allow the car to be quickly raised for wheel changes. The Nuke air jacks operate at 130psi, so can utilize a basic compressor rather than typical air jacks that require 400psi.

The DevSpeed / ENEOS Porsche 911 GT3 STI was finished in a unique livery inspired by both the classic Salzburg Porsche 917 and Subaru’s distinctive World Rally Championship cars. Created by Sean Smith Design, the livery was applied by Landmark Grafix.

TECH SPEC

DevSpeed / ENEOS Porsche 911 GT3 STI 

2007 Porsche 911 GT3 with Subaru Impreza STI engine swap

Builder: Faruk Kugay, DevSpeed Motorsports

Engine: 2008 Subaru STI 2.5L EJ25 four-cylinder with IAG Magnum block and oil pan, Brian Crower 280 camshafts, BorgWarner EFR 7064-C turbo, Deatschwerks 1500cc injectors and fuel filter, Vibrant Vertical Flow intercooler, oil cooler and stainless steel exhaust, MPC hardware, Nuke Performance fuel pressure regulator and catch can, ENEOS Racing Street 0W-50 motor oil

Power: 550hp at 6500rpm

Transmission: Subaru STI six-speed manual gearbox built by Subiworks with Subarugears bellhousing adapter, reverse-cut 4.85:1 ring gear, center diff lock-out and RWD conversion, Competition Clutch multi-plate clutch, ENEOS Gear Oil LSD 75W-90

Suspension/Chassis: BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Porsche 911 Cup Car suspension pieces, Delrin bushings, CageKits motorsports rollcage, Nuke Performance Air Jack 90 Competition set and performance fuel cell

Braking: stock Porsche 911 GT3 brakes with Hawk competition pads

Wheels & Tires: 19×10” front, 19×13” rear Rotiform 917 wheels with 265/35 R19 front, 345/30 R19 rear Toyo Proxes R888R tires

Exterior: VAD Design GT3R conversion including fenders and bumper/spoilers, carbon fiber roof, rear wing delete, Glass-On-The-Go GT3 front windshield, Illumasthetic headlights and tail lights, livery designed by Sean Smith Design, applied by Landmark Grafix

Interior: Tillett B6 Screamer carbon fiber seats from torqued.io, harnesses, custom DevSpeed steering wheel, Illumasthetic dashboard with Landmark Grafix 3M anti-glare wrap

Thanks / Sponsors: ENEOS, DevSpeed Motorsports, BC Racing, BorgWarner, CageKits, Deatschwerks, Illumasthetic, Landmark Grafix, MPC Motorsport, Nuke Performance, Rotiform, Tillett Seats, Torqued.io, Toyo Tires

David S. Wallens
11/2/22 5:42 p.m.

New wheel mounting hardware from BBS:

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/2/22 7:10 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

This is so freaking rad!

Just looked them up, $599 each. 

David S. Wallens
11/2/22 9:13 p.m.

Hey, it's those new forged Konig wheels.

Red5
Red5 New Reader
11/3/22 8:56 a.m.

More race cars please!

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/3/22 9:04 a.m.
z31maniac said:
Tom Suddard said:

This is so freaking rad!

I had a RC lowrider el Camino back in the 90s, was like $100 at radio shack at the time. 

jmc14
jmc14 HalfDork
11/3/22 11:33 a.m.

I've only been to SEMA once.  It was in 2003.  It was AWESOME!

I always was fascinated with "KIT CARS".  I poured over the magazines and dreamed of building a Cobra, Manta, or other cool car.  When I was able I set out to build a car of my dreams.  A swoopy 50's-60's influenced a roadster.  A couple of friends and i built one with C4 Vette suspension.  When done I took it to a few car events.  An editor, MIke Blake, from Kit Car magazine saw it, liked it, and did a feature on it. We called the car the Dragon.  

Mike asked if we would exhibit the car at SEMA in 2003.  I took the car from NH to Vegas.  At the show it was selected to be one of 7 cars exhibited at the HOT ROD Hall of Fame dinner.  It was such an honor and so cool to have it exhibited along some of the best Hot Rods anywhere.  Clearly we were not worthy but it was so fun.  

I call her Ruby.  I drove her yesterday. :)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/22 11:38 a.m.
z31maniac said:
Tom Suddard said:

This is so freaking rad!

The Redcats booth is always fun to visit, and they will totally let you drive. Unlike most of the other cars on display :)

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
11/3/22 11:57 a.m.

I coincidentally am in Vegas this week, so I wandered around SEMA yesterday (had a nice chat with Tom and Nicole and a very short chat with Tim while I was at it). I'll have to say that I've seen more new Broncos and crazy lifted trucks that I thought I would. I have to believe there are over 100 Broncos and I can't count the other trucks. I didn't take any Bronco photos because everyone else on social media seems to be doing that, but here are a few of the trucks. I just don't get it.

Ignore the guy in the right corner (he just was a passerby) but notice the woman who's head is the same height as the rocker panel. 

There were Barbie heads and accessories all over this truck. If Mattel is like Disney, whoever built this truck is gonna have some trouble...

Okay, this Gremlin was super cool.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/22 12:30 p.m.

SEMA certainly illustrates just how wide our hobby is. You can spend a lot of time in WTF mode.

What's replaced the big Ford drift/Bronco exhibit out front this year?

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/3/22 1:17 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

New from Factory Five: Pair a modern F-150 cab and running gear with their kit, and you'll get a Raptor-beating trophy truck with 20 inches of suspension travel. Time to start browsing Co-Part for a wrecked pickup. 

Tom - Any more information on this? I checked the FF website and they have zero about it. Seems super cool!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HOBlAuH4DI7mXJj6p1PAhdeBRlgLbyDwGGE8Mm9GCmNS4v4dYkl98iL3RnC9xcbn