David S. Wallens said:

From Holley's booth.

Mid engine?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
11/3/22 1:24 p.m.
dyintorace said:
Tom Suddard said:

New from Factory Five: Pair a modern F-150 cab and running gear with their kit, and you'll get a Raptor-beating trophy truck with 20 inches of suspension travel. Time to start browsing Co-Part for a wrecked pickup. 

Tom - Any more information on this? I checked the FF website and they have zero about it. Seems super cool!

That's everything I know. Pricing is supposedly between $20 and $30k but TBA. 

msterbeau
msterbeau Reader
11/3/22 1:36 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

New wheel mounting hardware from BBS:

This seems like a huge deal to me.  A completely different approach to aftermarket wheel fitment.  Instead of all the cost, engineering and validation hassles inherent in making the wheel fit a bunch of different cars with different bolt circles, hub rings, offsets. etc. - you make one wheel with one PCD per size and use a variety of adapters to fit a variety of cars. Engineering a bunch of (relatively) cheap adapters is a lot easier than doing it with the whole wheel.  The aftermarket can provide adapters for applications not covered by BBS.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/22 1:44 p.m.
msterbeau said:
David S. Wallens said:

This seems like a huge deal to me.  A completely different approach to aftermarket wheel fitment.  Instead of all the cost, engineering and validation hassles inherent in making the wheel fit a bunch of different cars with different bolt circles, hub rings, offsets. etc. - you make one wheel with one PCD per size and use a variety of adapters to fit a variety of cars. Engineering a bunch of (relatively) cheap adapters is a lot easier than doing it with the whole wheel.  The aftermarket can provide adapters for applications not covered by BBS.  

The biggest downside is that the wheel would have to be designed for the highest offset, and people do love them some dish.

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi HalfDork
11/3/22 1:54 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

From Holley's booth.

B is for Build on YouTube.  It is a midengine former movie stunt car

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/3/22 4:13 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
msterbeau said:
David S. Wallens said:

The biggest downside is that the wheel would have to be designed for the highest offset, and people do love them some dish.

Yeah. I was about to say and because you'll likely need 25-30 mm adapters to change the bolt pattern, you're also compromising how wide you can go with the wheel. You can go a bit thinner if you have a car that uses wheel bolts instead of studs. 

I suspect most people looking to run wide wheels would not find this is as a desirable alternative. I would include myself in that camp. For example, aside from losing the nice concave look of many wheels, I would have had to purchase 8.5" wide wheels instead of 9.5" wheels for my BRZ. 

And small cars with wide, concave wheels just flat out look awesome. 

Keith Tanner
11/3/22 4:42 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I don't think you'd be limited on your wheel width so much as the design of the face. The adapter mounting plane would have to be a long way outboard. One upside would be increased caliper clearance :)

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/3/22 5:20 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Good point. Although I think guys buying BBK's aren't worried about the cost of wheels. I have to admit, I almost bought one for the BRZ just for looks, not because I plan on tracking it. 

But I didn't want to buy a flat bill cap and start vaping. 

Tom Suddard
11/3/22 5:23 p.m.

Interesting place to put your amp....

Tom Suddard
11/3/22 5:25 p.m.

Hey look a Beetle!

Tom Suddard
11/3/22 5:26 p.m.

And this thing was super clean:

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
11/3/22 5:32 p.m.

Its interesting to me how much an NA rotary swap can look like an EV swap.  Rotary 240sx:

EV mustang:

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/3/22 7:37 p.m.

Some good news from the Maxxis crew:

Maxxis’ new tire for electric vehicles, the VICTRA SPORT EV, has won a SEMA Best New Product Award in the Tire and Related Product category. 

Specifically designed for EVs and available for purchase in the near future, the VICTRA SPORT EV is a summer ultra-high-performance tire which improves upon the OEM fitment. The engineering team focused on improving fuel economy and a longer tread life through a new-generation low rolling resistance EV compound. The VICTRA SPORT EV also offers a quieter, more comfortable ride with the help from our new Maxxis Silent technology. 

And the group shot: John Wu, who has helped GRM with many articles, is second from the left.

Keith Tanner
11/3/22 8:11 p.m.
Flynlow (FS) said:

Its interesting to me how much an NA rotary swap can look like an EV swap.  Rotary 240sx:

EV mustang:

The size of that extraction vent in the Mustang! It must look hilarious with the hood down.

The wire tuck crowd would love how clean that motor is.

Tom Suddard
11/3/22 9:25 p.m.

Who says crate motors have to be electric? Ampere EV sells this complete kit with motor, battery and controls for $50k. The company is run by $2000 Challenge competitors which is awesome.

And spoiler alert--I ordered something from them for a future project. wink

GaryC83
GaryC83 Reader
11/3/22 9:50 p.m.

What kind of specs is that putting out for $50k?  That's a tough pill to swallow for a swap kit cost. 

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/3/22 10:51 p.m.
z31maniac said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

... But I didn't want to buy a flat bill cap and start vaping. 

'Cause then you'll have to buy a Subaru and E36 M3! Oh, wait... laugh

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/3/22 11:01 p.m.

From Koni via Good-Win Racing:

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
11/3/22 11:06 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

That's awesome.  FSD's are my go-to whenever its time to replace shocks on street driven cars.  

Tom Suddard
11/3/22 11:12 p.m.

In reply to GaryC83 :

300hp and 42kwh, and the ability to DC fast charge via CCS. Pretty cool stuff.

As a comparison, a crate motor V8 and transmission is about a $20k purchase, and you'd still need a differential.

Electric stuff is still expensive, but we've come a long way in a few short years. Excited to see what's next. 

Keith Tanner
11/3/22 11:21 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I've been talking to Koni about bringing those to the Miata for years. They finally got them in the catalog, didn't realize they were being waved around at SEMA. 

GaryC83
GaryC83 Reader
11/3/22 11:28 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

As a FWIW, the connect and cruise LT4/8speed combo from GM (650HP) runs about 25k, list. They have much, much cheaper options, obviously. And that's all backed with a gm factory warranty. 

While I agree, it's exciting to see what's coming down the pipeline... I think you will see a LOT more folks go the less expensive route of piecing stuff together using the likes of AEM'S controller, used batteries, and maybe a new off the shelf conversion motor, at this time. That 50 grand is going to be a tough sell... I'm surrounded by the highest end of high end custom builds all day, everyday and while we aren't the intended market... its just a steep point of entry.  Even from where I am sitting. If that were 30K for those specs - it would be a lot easier sale, in my opinion. I wish them well, obviously, but can't see there being a huge demand  at that price point with those specs.  It'll be cool to see what the next 5 years brings, that's for sure. And best of luck to them

It's neat there's folks out there doing it...

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/4/22 8:12 a.m.
z31maniac said:
Keith Tanner said:
msterbeau said:
David S. Wallens said:

Yeah. I was about to say and because you'll likely need 25-30 mm adapters to change the bolt pattern, you're also compromising how wide you can go with the wheel. You can go a bit thinner if you have a car that uses wheel bolts instead of studs. 

I suspect most people looking to run wide wheels would not find this is as a desirable alternative. I would include myself in that camp. For example, aside from losing the nice concave look of many wheels, I would have had to purchase 8.5" wide wheels instead of 9.5" wheels for my BRZ. 

Volk did this in the early 90s.

Check out the GRC, example below:

https://www.croooober.com/en/item/cparts/00000105/Rims/14275921/Rays-Volk-Racing-GRC-Four?fbclid=IwAR3Of7B4nW9_7-7l76hgNVzmVsNnMKyz5elT4eHunGzCvvgEwPqmSo_pFqc

Sorry I can't seem to link the specific image on mobile. Picture 10/10 shows the built in spacer.

The wheels themselves were only drilled in 4x100 and 5x100 to keep the center cap as small of a diameter as possible. They were then sold with a spacer and special low profile hardware to adapt to 4x114 or 5x114 or even just back to 4x100. The sticker on the barrel that lists all the sizing specs is all measurements that take into account the spacer thickness and the actual bolt pattern of the spacer. So you might find a wheel with a sticker that says 17x8 +35 5x114 but the actual wheel is 17x8 +50 5x100.

I've been hunting for a nice set on the Yahoo Japan actions for something period correct for my Prelude, and the vast majority of them are missing center caps, the spacers, the hardware, along with listing the wrong specs as they go off what the sticker says.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
11/4/22 8:57 a.m.
Run_Away said:
z31maniac said:
Keith Tanner said:
msterbeau said:
David S. Wallens said:

Volk did this in the early 90s.

Check out the GRC, example below:

https://www.croooober.com/en/item/cparts/00000105/Rims/14275921/Rays-Volk-Racing-GRC-Four?fbclid=IwAR3Of7B4nW9_7-7l76hgNVzmVsNnMKyz5elT4eHunGzCvvgEwPqmSo_pFqc

Sorry I can't seem to link the specific image on mobile. Picture 10/10 shows the built in spacer.

The wheels themselves were only drilled in 4x100 and 5x100 to keep the center cap as small of a diameter as possible. They were then sold with a spacer and special low profile hardware to adapt to 4x114 or 5x114 or even just back to 4x100. The sticker on the barrel that lists all the sizing specs is all measurements that take into account the spacer thickness and the actual bolt pattern of the spacer. So you might find a wheel with a sticker that says 17x8 +35 5x114 but the actual wheel is 17x8 +50 5x100.

I've been hunting for a nice set on the Yahoo Japan actions for something period correct for my Prelude, and the vast majority of them are missing center caps, the spacers, the hardware, along with listing the wrong specs as they go off what the sticker says.

My man! My favorite wheel and I've had 6 sets now

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/4/22 9:12 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

In reply to GaryC83 :

300hp and 42kwh, and the ability to DC fast charge via CCS. Pretty cool stuff.

As a comparison, a crate motor V8 and transmission is about a $20k purchase, and you'd still need a differential.

Electric stuff is still expensive, but we've come a long way in a few short years. Excited to see what's next. 

looks like they're using a tesla small front drive unit... and those are $10k by themselves, most times.  So, the kit costs make "sense" to me.

looking at the pack specs... I wonder if they're not missing a market by offering ZE0 Leaf replacements using their existing 42kWh packs, while upgrading the on-board charger (maybe even utilizing their heater, which looks like it's 15% more efficient over the original Leaf heater)?

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Kipa0Dff4IiHMCY2vqQMHf30tmuSePSpP5wffmWEz95Wl2cwsr7PXA3KP0uVFgjD