chandler UltimaDork
11/5/22 1:59 p.m.

No but I watch non-stop for them. 

msterbeau
msterbeau Reader
11/5/22 5:43 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Always cool to see 3D printing on factory race cars:

I'll be more interested in home/shop level 3D printing when it looks more like injection molding and less like a topographical map.  

msterbeau
msterbeau Reader
11/5/22 5:48 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
msterbeau said:
David S. Wallens said:

New wheel mounting hardware from BBS:

This seems like a huge deal to me.  A completely different approach to aftermarket wheel fitment.  Instead of all the cost, engineering and validation hassles inherent in making the wheel fit a bunch of different cars with different bolt circles, hub rings, offsets. etc. - you make one wheel with one PCD per size and use a variety of adapters to fit a variety of cars. Engineering a bunch of (relatively) cheap adapters is a lot easier than doing it with the whole wheel.  The aftermarket can provide adapters for applications not covered by BBS.  

The biggest downside is that the wheel would have to be designed for the highest offset, and people do love them some dish.

Good point.  Maybe they make a negative offset version and a positive offset version?  Two wheels per size is still better than 10-20... 

msterbeau
msterbeau Reader
11/5/22 5:52 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
msterbeau said:
David S. Wallens said:

New wheel mounting hardware from BBS:

This seems like a huge deal to me.  A completely different approach to aftermarket wheel fitment.  Instead of all the cost, engineering and validation hassles inherent in making the wheel fit a bunch of different cars with different bolt circles, hub rings, offsets. etc. - you make one wheel with one PCD per size and use a variety of adapters to fit a variety of cars. Engineering a bunch of (relatively) cheap adapters is a lot easier than doing it with the whole wheel.  The aftermarket can provide adapters for applications not covered by BBS.  

The biggest downside is that the wheel would have to be designed for the highest offset, and people do love them some dish.

Good point.  Maybe they make a negative offset version and a positive offset version?  Two wheels per size is still better than 10-20... 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/5/22 6:06 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

Nissan Ariya Surfwagon concept–Nissan's take on a woody surf wagon that's based on the all-electric Ariya.

Vinyl sticker appliques do not a "woody" make (?)

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/6/22 6:19 a.m.
msterbeau said:
Tom Suddard said:

Always cool to see 3D printing on factory race cars:

I'll be more interested in home/shop level 3D printing when it looks more like injection molding and less like a topographical map.  

Acetone is an answer...

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
11/6/22 8:25 a.m.

How much is a booth these days ?

We we're at the CES show back in the 90s and I think it was $1200 for a 10x10ft space and then you needed carpet etc and paying the Union guys to plug in your lights etc.

It was an expensive week !

One thing we did was painted our plywood shipping box .

We had the kids paint it so the forklift driver could easily find it 

Really helps in a sea of plywood boxes that all look the same.

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/6/22 12:59 p.m.
chandler said:

No but I watch non-stop for them. 

Well if you find some 4x100s fitments that you're not interested in, let me know!

I just got lost on a Yahoo Japan rabbit hole, and of the 29 GRC auctions I've found, only these 4 have the "dedicated adapters" as the google translate calls them:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/o1060525938

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n1066163127

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c855789010

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/o1067474310

therealpinto
therealpinto GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/6/22 2:46 p.m.

I think this was my 5th or 6th time at SEMA, and I get the feeling it is becoming more and more "public", ie more and more visitors seem to be random people than folks actually involved in the business. I may be wrong though.

For me, the show vehicles are nice but usually there is too much traffic around the really interesting ones to get close enough. I really like the details in all the other parts you can find, and I like the chance to speak to some companies providing parts I actually have to work with. This year I got good information from Heidts, had a good speak with Factory Five and of course got a quick stop at the GRM booth :-) Oh, and we got to chat with drifter Kelsey Rowlings again, she's really nice and I am quite annoyed that I didn't make it to SEMA Ignited to see her drive.

I did enjoy some runs of the Optima Street Car challenge thing though. 

Gustaf

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/22 3:58 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

They should also have Bluetooth speakers in them to stream death row records classics from the 90s while playing with them. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/7/22 11:50 a.m.
therealpinto said:

I think this was my 5th or 6th time at SEMA, and I get the feeling it is becoming more and more "public", ie more and more visitors seem to be random people than folks actually involved in the business. I may be wrong though.

For me, the show vehicles are nice but usually there is too much traffic around the really interesting ones to get close enough. I really like the details in all the other parts you can find, and I like the chance to speak to some companies providing parts I actually have to work with. This year I got good information from Heidts, had a good speak with Factory Five and of course got a quick stop at the GRM booth :-) Oh, and we got to chat with drifter Kelsey Rowlings again, she's really nice and I am quite annoyed that I didn't make it to SEMA Ignited to see her drive.

I did enjoy some runs of the Optima Street Car challenge thing though. 

Gustaf

That rules. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/22/22 10:37 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

New from Factory Five: Pair a modern F-150 cab and running gear with their kit, and you'll get a Raptor-beating trophy truck with 20 inches of suspension travel. Time to start browsing Co-Part for a wrecked pickup. 

Need this. 

Puddy46
Puddy46 New Reader
11/22/22 11:06 p.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:
Colin Wood said:

Nissan Ariya Surfwagon concept–Nissan's take on a woody surf wagon that's based on the all-electric Ariya.

Vinyl sticker appliques do not a "woody" make (?)

Not only that, they put the surfboard on the rack backwards.  The tail is supposed to be towards the front.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
11/23/22 7:33 a.m.

In reply to Puddy46 :

One of my biggest pet peaves when car people use surfboards for decoration.

sleepyhead the buffalo
11/23/22 7:21 p.m.

In reply to Puddy46 :

I'm curious... is that a "surfboard only" rule... or should it be applied to kayaks too?

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
11/23/22 9:26 p.m.

From surfing it has practical reasons. Fins always go up, because you don't want the wax to melt. Fins always go forward, because if the straps loosen you want the fins to catch the strap and stop your board flying off the car.

Does kayaking have similar reasons?

sleepyhead the buffalo
11/23/22 10:07 p.m.
buzzboy said:

Does kayaking have similar reasons?

Probably not.  I don't think any of them use wax.  And, afaik, all the ones with rudders tend to be of a "kick up" type for beaching; which would probably be useless to keep them from sliding off the back.  Plus, I guess you've got the combing and/or deck straps/rings to tiedown with, which are absent on surfboards.

thanks for the detail!

1 ... 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
glpAwy28o6FP0RXSqQIocobs08kGEjWbdZBBx0oqykYrb4IXG8d3yvfxS7EJjb8s