1 2 3 4 5
meldog21
meldog21 New Reader
5/2/18 11:02 a.m.

Great commentary on the image aspect of daily driving a car like the Viper.   But, not much on the real world aspect of dealing with normal driving.  

I don't mind, and rather enjoy the interaction with people when driving my extensively track modified Z06.    That part is great, but lets not forget the rest of the experience.   

First of all, an exotic, supercar (or whatever you choose to call it) car's performance is extremely intoxicating and satisfying even when doing a mundane errands or traveling in moderate traffic.  It just makes you feel good.

Besides the ingress and egress contortion limbo, there are a few other difficulties that go with daily driving a car like the Viper.  Curbs, potholes, road dips, driveways, and especially parking.   I don't really mind having to park so far away from my destination, but keeping the car away from the masses of people who don't give a hoot about their own cars or anyone else's must always be considered.  My car has approximately 4.5" clearance at the splitter (primarily a street car) and steep driveways that are no problem in my beater Miata can be a real challenge.   Maybe I just need a fancier supercar with suspension that raises at the push of a button to clear driveways.     Now that I think about it more, yes, yes I do.   An exceptionally high tech, fancy, high performance exotic supercar is exactly what I need.

RyanGreener
RyanGreener New Reader
5/2/18 11:10 a.m.

Pretty good article. I don't see why a single person wouldn't be able to use a "supercar" for their own usage. I think the impracticality comes in the cost of maintenance for certain cars, as well as for family usage (IE: Mom/Dad/2-3 Kids). For me of course, it would be paranoia of my "baby" getting damaged.

h2000wt
h2000wt
5/2/18 12:01 p.m.

Back when they were new, I drove a Lotus Europa everyday (except when it snowed...) and occasionally a Ferrari 308GT4.  I got more people talking to me in the Lotus than the Ferrari though most of them wore uniforms and handed out tickets. 

sdaemon
sdaemon
5/2/18 1:40 p.m.

I don't really consider a Viper a supercar, just like I don't consider a Corvette a supercar - fun track cars, yes, but not really supercar (and power alone does not make a supercar - an M5 has 600HP and a Hellcat has 700+ HP, neither of which I think anyone would call a supercar)...

I do drive my bright orange 2018 McLaren Spider around pretty much every day though, which is a lot of fun - and I get stopped everywhere of course, though I take the time to talk to anyone who wants to talk about it. Especially get a lot of attention when the doors go up! Only time it can be an issue is if I'm in a hurry - and since I don't like to be impolite, I end up being late :(

I get attention in my Lotus, Evo, and even M3 - but not like the McLaren. People (for the most part) just get really giddy around it. The former would only really be "car people" - but the supercar attracts everyone. I am happy that other people get happy around it though - I even let people sit in it to take pics if they want, especially younger kids. Hopefully it inspires them to do well and get their own :)

Thanks!

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
5/2/18 2:49 p.m.

Interesting article, and I agree that if you don't want to come across as a jerk, you'd better be prepared to chat with strangers who come up to talk to you about it. I have never owned anything close to a supercar, and likely never will. The attention wouldn't bother me, but even if I had the financial means, I would be too paranoid to use something of such value as a daily driver, for fear of it getting dings and scratches in parking lots, or worse, smashed into from some driver not paying attention. That fear might make me leave it in the garage more often than a daily driver should, and that would also bother me, having a fun car that isn't getting driven enough.

Although my Locost was nowhere near being a supercar, it drew quite a bit of attention and I enjoyed chatting with strangers who came up to ask about it. Most people (even car guys) were not familiar with what a Lotus 7 is, so a lot of people had no idea what the car was. With no doors, roof or climate control, I couldn't use it as a daily driver and it sat in the garage for 9 to 10 months of the year. Although it was a super fun car and I have great memories from it, it taught me a lesson that a car needs to be driven regularly to enjoy it. Becasue of which, any future fun cars for me need to be practical enough to use most of the year, but not so valuable that I am paranoid to drive it regularly. 

livinon2wheels
livinon2wheels GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/2/18 2:51 p.m.

I dont think its just supercars that draw the crowds, its any car that is unusual or that you dont see many of, or one that has been modded in an unusual way for the kind of car it is. For example, my 91 subaru legacy wagon draws attention fairly often when I drive it because it is obviously modded in a constructive way that doesnt destroy the utility of the car but makes all the right sounds and looks the part of a nicely set up street car. No it isnt beautiful by any stretch, nor is the project complete, but it is a decent driver now that works well and I often have people ask me about it because there are so darn few of them left now.

Its fun for me to talk about the project and to help promote the brand and encourage people to get involved in subaru ownership at whatever level they can afford because they are really decent cars. The fact that I own 4 subies speaks to my liking of the marque and appreciation for their design philosophy. I have made some friends by doing this and found my life enriched by the people I have encountered. Everybody wins. 

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
5/2/18 3:11 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

NASCAR isn't racing and vipers arent that fast around a track. They can be made to go fast but unless there are really long straits, it will loose. Brakes and suspension aren't up to it

Plus they are relatively low tech.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/2/18 3:56 p.m.
markwemple said:

In reply to dculberson :

NASCAR isn't racing and vipers arent that fast around a track. They can be made to go fast but unless there are really long straits, it will loose. Brakes and suspension aren't up to it

Don’t wrestle with the troll

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/2/18 6:30 p.m.
sdaemon said:

I don't really consider a Viper a supercar, just like I don't consider a Corvette a supercar - fun track cars, yes, but not really supercar (and power alone does not make a supercar - an M5 has 600HP and a Hellcat has 700+ HP, neither of which I think anyone would call a supercar)...

I do drive my bright orange 2018 McLaren Spider around pretty much every day though, which is a lot of fun - and I get stopped everywhere of course, though I take the time to talk to anyone who wants to talk about it. Especially get a lot of attention when the doors go up! Only time it can be an issue is if I'm in a hurry - and since I don't like to be impolite, I end up being late :(

I get attention in my Lotus, Evo, and even M3 - but not like the McLaren. People (for the most part) just get really giddy around it. The former would only really be "car people" - but the supercar attracts everyone. I am happy that other people get happy around it though - I even let people sit in it to take pics if they want, especially younger kids. Hopefully it inspires them to do well and get their own :)

Thanks!

Well, E36 M3. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
5/2/18 7:59 p.m.
markwemple said:

In reply to dculberson :

Name the track and name the tires and bring it.

I am more the happy to show just what a Viper can do. Bring anything you want, any price you want and we go at it with similar tire. Any make as long as it is street legal. I can hunt down and pass 7 figure hypercars in mine. I have had 8 of them over my life, a stock Gen IV is a better car then you are a driver. The ACR is on another plane of existence. The Gen V ACR will eat anything stock for stock IMO under 1.5 million and do it on crappy California pump gas on tires that are usable on the street.

To put things in perspective. There are 15,000 F360's in the world. There were 2500 Vipers made in the same time period. They are American Exotics and I like that term. They are not supercars, or even straight exotics.

reflexr
reflexr GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/2/18 9:11 p.m.

It’s a great article that touches on two great, important points. 

“You’re the connection between a world where cars are fun, and the world where they’re not.” 

As a racer, amongst my co-workers, this is super evident. And I love it! I daily drive a mundane, vanilla 911(99 C2). But I still get conversations at gas stations and stares at Costco, usually followed by conversation. Being an ambassador for cars and car enthusiasm is a responsibility we have, to ensure our enthusiasm continues. Which brings me to my next point. 

I wave and smile and rev the engine for every child that waves or looks on or points. Kids are it, I fell in love with Porsche’s at the 1976 Long Beach GP. When I was 6. I haven’t stopped loving them since, and will probably do so til I die. If kids are at all interested in cars, seeing high performance versions driving around spurs their interest even more. Our ambassadorship is called on to propagate that interest. It’s our duty as car people. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/2/18 9:12 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

Damn straight. A Viper ACR will beat every Porsche but a GT3, GT2 RS, or 918 around the Ring and I don’t know how you can claim that’s not fast. It will wipe the floor with every 911 Turbo made. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
5/2/18 11:14 p.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to wearymicrobe :

Damn straight. A Viper ACR will beat every Porsche but a GT3, GT2 RS, or 918 around the Ring and I don’t know how you can claim that’s not fast. It will wipe the floor with every 911 Turbo made. 

They are actually 11 seconds a lap slower then the Gen V ACR then the 911 Turbo S at Leguna. That is a lifetime. ACR;s are actually faster then the GT3 but not the RS at the ring but its not really fair comparison as the RS run was a factory effort and the new tires they put on those things and the active rear steering is just fantastic.

FYI the new GT3 RS is bonkers insane, its just a monster on all levels. I love the car but I just cannot get past the price and the fact that they took away PTS. RS 911's need to be painted bonkers colors IMO. Paint it purple or lime green and go crazy. Mexico blue does not ount.

FYI exotics that are track focused are terrible street cars though. Want to have fun find something like a 911 Turbo or a 570s. One of the things that often if dismissed on reviews like this is frankly bought as 4th or 5th cars. I cannot recommend them even though I have used mine as street cars for years. The attention gets old unless you are a nut like me and super super outgoing. Even in car culture California where you an see Bugatti's and just about everything else on the street they still pull attention in a way you would not expect.  

te72
te72 Reader
5/2/18 11:22 p.m.

Most people where I live don't really know what my car is (87 Supra Turbo), which used to work to my advantage when people thought it was just some old car with a loud exhaust, hahaha... Either folks just don't care anymore, or I don't drive it enough these days, have yet to have anyone challenge the new build. Frankly have no desire to play with anyone I don't know, simply for safety reasons anymore.

That said, my car has a presence, probably due to the way the suspension and wheels make everything look a bit aggressive. Whatever car I'm driving though, if I see bright eyes on kids as I'm driving by, I give them a bit of a rev and a wave. Gotta keep the hobby going!

RyanGreener
RyanGreener New Reader
5/3/18 6:13 a.m.

te72, you've got good taste. I miss my old 87 Supra and I wish I never got rid of it :(

One day I'll get another!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
5/3/18 6:52 a.m.

I dailied a 64 el Camino and rarely got noticed. My 70 duster on the other hand, i can't go anywhere without talking to someone. I kinda like it.

Tomwas1
Tomwas1 New Reader
5/3/18 1:23 p.m.

Never a super car, but I'm always driving something "different". Sold my 92 e30 convertible and now driving a 1980 280ZX 2+2. Always getting comments and compliments. Heads turn to follow it as I pass by. I enjoy the attention it gets and people are very nice.

ztnedman1
ztnedman1 New Reader
5/3/18 2:18 p.m.

In reply to markwemple :

LMAO I take it you don't follow national level autoX?

Hate to break it to you but even the C5Z is all the GT3 and GT4 Porsches can handle...and that's Autocross.  The Vipers are right in that same mix.  

I was once like you...then started actually racing and got real.  Those low tech American tractors are not just surprisingly effective they are good.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/3/18 2:18 p.m.

For some reason the 240z I had got TONS of attention whenever I stopped for gas / groceries /etc.

It seems everyone alive had an uncle, brother or friend that had one, and they feel compelled to tell you about it.   Maybe it's the everyman nature of the Datsun that makes folks so eager to talk about it.   No car I've ever owned attracted that sort of following--- no press car either, and we've had a few Duesys around the office.  (no Duesenbergs however! ) 

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
5/3/18 2:40 p.m.
Joe Gearin said:

For some reason the 240z I had got TONS of attention whenever I stopped for gas / groceries /etc.

It seems everyone alive had an uncle, brother or friend that had one, and they feel compelled to tell you about it.   Maybe it's the everyman nature of the Datsun that makes folks so eager to talk about it.   No car I've ever owned attracted that sort of following--- no press car either, and we've had a few Duesys around the office.  (no Duesenbergs however! ) 

Do you still have the Z?  I regret selling my '71 pretty much everyday. I'd buy another if the right one came along.  I actually pulled up next to one at the pumps a few weeks ago, and of course we had a conversation.  wink

To the question if a Viper is fast, um, yes, it's very fast.  I've driven them on track (Gen 2) and not only are they fast in a straight line, they corner exceptionally well.  And not only do they corner well, I found them well behaved and not some evil beast that is there to rip your neck off if you make a mistake.  Sure it will power oversteer, but it is a nice, balanced car.  Brakes were great too.  I'd like to see a bit lighter shifter, but that's pretty much my only complaint.  There is something raw and special about it that you do not get in Corvettes.  I've always said it drove like a big, tremendously fast Miata, and it does.  The steering felt just about as direct.  

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/3/18 3:02 p.m.
racerdave600 said:
Joe Gearin said:

Do you still have the Z?  I regret selling my '71 pretty much everyday. I'd buy another if the right one came along.  I actually pulled up next to one at the pumps a few weeks ago, and of course we had a conversation.  wink

Nope--- sold the Z to Steven Cole Smith actually.  Mine was a 73, and of course I retrofitted the earlier carbs to it.  I loved that car, but had to move on.  Seeing all the fantastic early Z-cars at the Mitty this year certainly didnt' help with my longing for that car.   Not sure if I'll have another now that they are finally bringing decent $$.  

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
5/3/18 4:22 p.m.

That's a bit of my problem too Joe.  I still think of nice ones as $5k cars, now the same car is nearer to $15k plus.  At that price, you start creeping into cars I want more than a 240.  I still loved it though and would like another.  

te72
te72 Reader
5/4/18 12:34 a.m.
RyanGreener said:

te72, you've got good taste. I miss my old 87 Supra and I wish I never got rid of it :(

One day I'll get another!

Good taste, perhaps, questionable sanity for going as far as I have with a car that's worth next to nothing, most definitely! =P

They do get in you in a weird way though, wish I had never sold my first Supra, a slow, non turbo, automatic 1988, light blue (what was commonly referred to as "gay blue" back in the day for some reason) with the blue interior. Had fading paint on the bumpers, a tiny spot of rust on one of the front fenders, and one solitary ding on the passenger headlight cover. Otherwise that car was in mint condition, and I picked it up for a song. Eleven years after selling, I still regret it.

Should join us for Supras In Vegas this September, if you've never been it's a great time!

wspohn
wspohn Dork
5/4/18 4:20 p.m.

Only super car list the Viper wins is lowest specific output engine. Hard to respect a car that uses a low output (per liter)  engine which achieves decent power through displacement (now 8.4 liters) rather than sophisticated design.

That's about 76 bhp/liter.  My street BMW puts out 104 bhp/l and the Honda S2000 gets 120, both without any sort of turbo or supercharging. Toss a blower in and it makes it even more glaring - my street Ecotec sports car gets 187 bhp/l and still returns around 30 mpg on the highway.  And still matches the phase 1 Vipers for quarter mile and 0-60 times, using 2.0 liters in place of 8..

Sorry, just cannot see them as a super car.  

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/4/18 9:18 p.m.

In reply to wspohn :

I honestly do not give one crap about hp/liter. Talk about a worthless metric when it comes to actual driving experience and speed. Hp/liter does not win races or make a car great. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CUUtnhHFeClpHmIISJvgAtwYyMaqPjGdcaZ6qmP3ZLSPkMWL74xIarEqMMcNpn3n