1 2 3
Fobroader
Fobroader Reader
7/23/14 12:53 a.m.

Oh, if you do not want a diesel, go for a GM 1/2 ton. Very comfortable, quiet and reliable. Yeah, the only problem with the Cummins is that growth on it called a Dodge truck, its a horrid place to be, but the engine is pretty damn bulletproof.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
7/23/14 11:01 a.m.
Tahoe wrote: Really, only 9 in town and 12-13 highway? I get 15 towing 3000 lbs, and 18 normal highway driving. I have no clue what I get in the city because I hardly ever do an entire tank city driving.

Might come down to the aero of what you were pulling. 15usmpg towing on the highway at 65mph is pretty reasonable if its a car hauler or flat deck with something low profile on it.

Boost_Crazy wrote: Check out a Titan while you are at it. It's a very good all around truck, especially in that price range. They drive much better then a truck should, and I'd argue that they have the best power train of the trucks in your price range. The Nissan is also filled with lots of nice touches absent in the other trucks. The downside is that the interior quality is a bit disappointing, especially since it is so well laid out. I've have my '04 since new and it has been a great truck. I think in '07 or '08 they added some longer bed options for the crew and king cabs.

We have a Titan for a company truck. At first I thought it was awesome (compared to my 93 K1500 gm). Then lots of little things started to bug me; it rides like crap, it is HUGE (not just in the feels huge sense, but in the physical this truck is as big as a 3/4 ton sense), gets bad mpg, and I don't fit well in it.

The only good thing about them is a brand new 2013 crew cab 4x4 sells for $26k cdn which is an amazing deal. But I'd rather a 2014 chebby double cab 4x4 for $27k cdn.

As for buying a gas Ford, overall, nothing wrong with them. The 5.4 gets poor mpg compared to the LS 5.3L, and the 4.6L is anemic. I would NOT tow with a 4.6L. You'll get the same mpg as the 5.4 since you work it harder, so there is no point IMO.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/23/14 12:45 p.m.

I came here to suggest cutting your budget in half (which would eliminate all but some of the oldest/roughest diesels) and looking into a Titan. The reason being when looking into 1/2 pickups transmissions seem to be the weakest big ticket component and you'll find that far fewer Nissans go through trannies then the other options. I'm not a Nissan fanboy (despite this being my 2nd pro-Nissan post today) but if I don't get a 7.3L powerstroke ambulance as my next tow rig, and I opt to not drop $30k+ on a new truck (either eco-ram, aluminum F150 or diesel Titan whenever that comes out) I'll end up a sub $10K Titan, which will be find hauling my sub 3500lb cars on open trailers and handling home depot runs.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
7/23/14 2:03 p.m.

Titan's prior to 2007 have known issues with axles/differentials that are $$$$. But a $10k Titan should be a 2007 or newer I'd reckon (as long as you know that). Of course, any domestic newer than 2008 doesn't have the tranny problems the old ones did from any of the manufacturers.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LqQZx217zMowqsxzRuNMPIqRAcyYx7oJmpLIUKE8DyVGa4Jq9I7FqMLoiIuE5S4L