1 2
ztnedman1
ztnedman1 Reader
11/18/20 8:03 a.m.

The best way to get into racing...just go.  Don't worry about prep, don't worry about anything but getting a helmet.  If you are confident in driving the car down the road then its fine for the track. 

If you are fast and taxing the car immediately then do extra cool down laps and prep for the next event.  

If you are worried about the car, get track insurance from Lockton or Haggerty.  Also don't feel pressure to turn TCS down or off right away.  

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/18/20 11:50 a.m.

If you just want to dip your toes in the water Hagerty has a couple events a year. You should also look into SCCA's Track Night In America events. They are a little more low key, only have 3 sessions and Hagerty doesn't require a roll bar for convertibles (at least around here, double check with them first of course).

The two organizations I've run with have pretty clear guidelines for how many track days you need before you can run anything higher than novice. Usually it's 5 events. 

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
11/18/20 11:50 a.m.

In reply to ztnedman1 :

Agreed. You'll feel like you're flying around and pushing the limits as a true-novice, but rarely is anyone that fast in Novice. It's mainly about building awareness on track and getting used to the whole experience. I've said it before, but it's also worth mentioning the point-by requirements in novice will generally keep you from beating on the car mercilessly anywho.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/18/20 3:07 p.m.
ztnedman1 said:

Also don't feel pressure to turn TCS down or off right away.  

I would argue the opposite, IMHO it's better to get used to TCS and the other nannies being off from the start before you build bad habits that depend on them.  The longer you go with them on the harder it is to turn them off.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/18/20 3:31 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
ztnedman1 said:

Also don't feel pressure to turn TCS down or off right away.  

I would argue the opposite, IMHO it's better to get used to TCS and the other nannies being off from the start before you build bad habits that depend on them.  The longer you go with them on the harder it is to turn them off.

So, I pretty sure I stole this advice from Randy Pobst  but my advice to my students is to leave the nannies on until you can feel them working and they're doing something you don't want them to do.  I'm sure that there are exceptions but I've never had a student that was relying on them but I've had more than one who's bacon was saved by them.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
11/18/20 4:09 p.m.

In reply to APEowner :

I think we need context as well. Are you driving a prius? A corrolla? You're probably safe to turn the TCS off, it's going to bog the engine when you don't want it to even in a novice setting. (i.e. my MS3, even when I was fairly green on track would bog on the hint of wheel spin - which it did out of every corner). 

Are you in Porsche 911? A high-powered vette? Leave it on. 

jh36
jh36 Reader
11/18/20 4:44 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

I agree. My opinion would be to disable nannies early on while situations are more easily avoidable, lessons can be learned, bad habits are avoided and the feedback loops can be understood.  

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/18/20 7:10 p.m.

I think the traction control decision is very vehicle dependent, but I think in most cases it's better for a novice to leave it on.  I've seen plenty of newbs have preventable accidents because they had turned it off.  If you leave it on and it starts acting in an intrusive manner, then it's time to turn it off.

maj75 (Forum Supporter)
maj75 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/18/20 7:52 p.m.

You will absolutely want it off in your C5.  Traction control in the C5 is very crude.  Slide the car, spin the tires, push it and the damn thing just cuts throttle for 1-2 seconds.  Not what you want when someone is right on your tail.  Just use your right foot judiciously.  Don't stomp the gas unless your front wheels are pointed straight.  Roll into the throttle.  If you run anywhere hot, add an oil cooler and a race radiator.  Race brake pads, stainless brake lines and you should have a trouble free track day.

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/24/20 9:04 a.m.
accordionfolder said:

In reply to ztnedman1 :

Agreed. You'll feel like you're flying around and pushing the limits as a true-novice, but rarely is anyone that fast in Novice. It's mainly about building awareness on track and getting used to the whole experience. I've said it before, but it's also worth mentioning the point-by requirements in novice will generally keep you from beating on the car mercilessly anywho.

I 2nd this. I have never had an actual fast brand new student in my life. To the OP if you have a reliable running car with relatively new tires, brake fluid and pads you are good to go. The easiest way to get in HPDE's is well, to jump right in.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eIwAElpzocZrWTUOFQ4C0q3hwlezbhAltsi8Q0qgzSBZ4px1tzzGsaKu2Oq2Udot