2002maniac
2002maniac Reader
11/11/09 3:34 a.m.

So I picked up an '89 IX missing the front driveshaft for super cheap last spring with the intention of fixing it and flipping it for a profit late this fall.

People here in Utah tend to go crazy buying AWD cars after the first snow, so I figured it would be an easy deal. This same car traded hands for almost $4k almost exactly one year ago and I sniped it on ebay for $2500 after the snow melted.

I've done alot of work to it and it really is a nice nice car. I just got around to investigating the problem with the 4wd and with a new/used front driveshaft and a new guibo the 4wd functions properly, but makes a nasty pop/clunk from the T-case when accelerating from a stop or making slow turns at full lock.

Do you guys think the car would be sell for more with a clunky, but functional 4wd system, or with the front driveshaft out and RWD only?

2002maniac
2002maniac Reader
11/11/09 11:08 p.m.

bump.

here's the car in question Photobucket Photobucket

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
11/11/09 11:37 p.m.

Honestly, unless you are selling it to someone with an extra transfer case, I think the best way to sell it would be to fix it. I dont think a broken 325ix would be worth as much as a non broken 325i, so unless you would be happy with $1k or less, i think fixing it would be the best idea.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/12/09 1:34 a.m.

ah man.. you would have to post up a nice looking ix. I am so happy you are half the country away

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
11/12/09 7:21 a.m.

Buy the 325ix parts car that Tim is selling in MA... combine the two... cross your fingers... hope you break even...

RossD
RossD HalfDork
11/12/09 7:24 a.m.

www.car-parts.com Check you area for a replacement.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker Dork
11/12/09 7:31 a.m.

I helped friend do something similar last year. Its a tough win with the ix because they arent really worth much in great working shape... but we had a really nice one with bad auto trans and "funky" front drive - We bought a rusty stick with a good awd for $500 and made one good 5sp ix. It broke even on $ and it was a lot of work/time so I'd advise you to get in the time machine and go back to 5 minutes before you bought that car.

slefain
slefain Dork
11/12/09 8:48 a.m.

Remove 325ix badge, sell as 325i. Done.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
11/12/09 8:51 a.m.

I recall there can be an issue with the front driveshaft splines fully seating in the front differential - the cure is to put some washers under the flange where it bolts to the transfer case so the splines go into the diff a little deeper. I may have that wrong, but you can google for it or I can look it up when I get home tonight.

Is this car a manual or automatic? If it's a stick I'd like to talk to you about it...I have an '88 iX but it's getting pretty rusty, so I'd like to find a nicer car to replace it.

pmchase
pmchase New Reader
11/12/09 11:05 a.m.

I sold one w/ a blown head gasket and rotted body but lots of good parts for $1K to a guy who was building 1 car out of 2 parts cars. Try the iX group web page.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Reader
11/12/09 12:23 p.m.

Best way to sell it is to part it out, only chance to get the majority of your money back.

2002maniac
2002maniac Reader
11/12/09 8:30 p.m.

found a good used t-case for $250

I guess I'll fix it.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
11/12/09 10:08 p.m.

If you're still planning on selling it after you replace the transfer case, let me know.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YMa8gWlSldJXMQR3LAvX0wyUJSItbxQr1ToNYWwihTB6yBcX0kPXCGd3DfMmcv3t