1 2
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/24/17 7:24 a.m.

I see people using Mobile 1 oil like a badge of honor. What makes it special? Now that I'm on my own for oil changes with the FR-S, I'm wondering if it's worth the premium.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
4/24/17 7:30 a.m.

Whoa now, slow down there sport! Do you even have any Yeti stickers yet? What about Red Bull or Monster drink logos? TRD Racing badges?

You don't jump right into bragging about what oil you use until you have established some cred first.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
4/24/17 7:37 a.m.

It is the original readily available synthetic, and they spend the money to get the certifications, instead of just claiming they pass. I don't think it's a bunch better than others, but its a known quantity.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/24/17 7:41 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: It is the original readily available synthetic, and they spend the money to get the certifications, instead of just claiming they pass. I don't think it's a bunch better than others, but its a known quantity.

Pretty much this. All the major-brand synthetics are pretty comparable these days. I use M1 because I can get it for a pretty good price at Costco.

As for people bragging about what kind of oil they use, I have no idea.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
4/24/17 7:57 a.m.

I noticed it was on sale at Costco yesterday for $26 for a case of 6. That's the only time and place I will buy it. If I need to change oil and don't have any, I will usually get Valvoline synthetic.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
4/24/17 8:01 a.m.

I use the Walmart Synthetic with great reports. Been testing for the last couple ofyears and it holds up as well as most normal synthetics (with the exception of some of the pricier options). Mobil 1 is fine, but at this point you're paying for a name (like a lot of things)

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
4/24/17 8:03 a.m.

We run M1 15W-50 because it's got ZDDP (zinc) in it, still, which our flat-tappet old-ass race car needs.

Their thinner grades do not have the ZDDP, however. I think it has something to do with the 15W-50 being not recommended for use by any new car manufacturer.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/24/17 8:08 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: It is the original readily available synthetic, and they spend the money to get the certifications, instead of just claiming they pass. I don't think it's a bunch better than others, but its a known quantity.

I will agree with that. My main "wow" experience with Mobil 1 was pulling the valve cover off my '88 E30 with some high number of miles on it. I bought the car from Sonic who drove it for some 150K miles and used M1 exclusively. When I pulled the cover off, the valvetrain looked brand new.

GroupSects
GroupSects GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/24/17 8:10 a.m.

PSA: Pennzoil has a $2 a quart rebate on synthetic oil up to $48 a year that applies to Amazon and Walmart purchases. If you catch a sale it ends up being $10-12 for a 5qt jug.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
4/24/17 8:12 a.m.

I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance in my Mustang. It seems to be a decent oil, especially for the price. It is also easy to find, as every auto parts and big box store has it.

(Royal Purple is hard to find in stores, and Amsoil or Redline is near impossible. And no thank you, I'm not interested in your "authorized seller of Amsoil producs" pyramid scheme. What is this, Mary Kay?)

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/24/17 8:20 a.m.

In reply to Sky_Render:

I believe you are thinking of Amsoil. While some people seem to believe it's perfectly good oil, the marketing scheme turns me off.

slowride
slowride Dork
4/24/17 8:23 a.m.

For me Mobil 1 was the "original" synthetic. But it doesn't seem like anything special now. They have that new variant called "Annual Protection" that they claim lasts up to a year/20,000 miles. Not sure about that.

I've been using Quaker State Ultimate Durability or Valvoline Synpower because I got them on sale at Menards. When I run out I'll use whatever 0w-20 is cheapest at the time.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
4/24/17 8:36 a.m.

I had a customer that owned a early to mid 90s s10 something like 180k miles that he bought new. He claimed that it only had mobil1 in it since he bought it. There wasnt a single oil leak on that engine. Not even any greasy spots indicating a slow leak. He claimed he never had any seals replaced. Those engine ALWAYS leaked. Especially the cooler lines. Something in that oil kept the rubber happy for 20 years and seven trips around the circumference of the earth.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/24/17 8:41 a.m.

The badge of honor quip comes from used car adds stating, "Only used Mobile 1 for every oil change."

You put oil in it. That's good.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
4/24/17 8:43 a.m.

This thread should be located in the religious section.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
4/24/17 9:07 a.m.
Ian F wrote: In reply to Sky_Render: I believe you are thinking of Amsoil. While some people seem to believe it's perfectly good oil, the marketing scheme turns me off.

Yep, I meant Amsoil. Edited the post so I don't look like a (total) moron.

trucke
trucke SuperDork
4/24/17 9:10 a.m.

I use Mobil 1 because it is synthetic and is usually cheaper than other brands. I've had good luck with it for several cars with lots of miles. Although, I never brag about using Mobil 1. I mean ... its just oil.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/24/17 9:16 a.m.

The cheapest crap Advance carries is good for 400K+.

Anything that claims to be better than that, should be better.

Right?

I usually buy Rotella for $13 a gallon.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/24/17 9:28 a.m.

The fact that people brag about running Mobil 1 must make Penrite 10/10ths users laugh so hard that their monocles fall out

Plenty of shops by me are Amsoil franchises. I use their synthetic ATF in the Corolla's PS system.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/24/17 9:56 a.m.

For whatever reason 5w-40 Rotella is always $4 to $5 a gallon cheaper at Walmart plus the Subie guys swear its the best oil for Subie turbo engines. What's not to like?

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
4/24/17 10:33 a.m.

I put it in my LS430, purchased by the jug at Wally World it is not really that expensive. I buy Denso filters in bulk online and I'm pretty sure I'm in for under $30 each oil change. I'm not saying it is the best oil, but it's been around a long time, is a known quantity and I can get it anywhere.

I also use Rotella full synth in the Powerstroke and the motorcycle. I haven't tried it in any gas-powered cars but I don't see why you couldn't.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
4/24/17 10:42 a.m.

I remember Mobil1 advertisements being interspersed with my Saturday morning cartoons....

E36 M3 maybe the advertising did indoctrinate me because that's what I went to when I needed full synthetic in my car.

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/24/17 10:55 a.m.

Ok here goes...

What passes for "synthetic" oil in the USA is different from what you're allowed to call "synthetic" in other markets.

It used to be if you wanted to call your oil "synthetic" you needed to use synthetic base stocks, like PAO (group IV) or esters (group V). Amsoil and Mobil 1 were the most widespread synthetics here in the USA.

Than Castrol got smart and started marketing Syntec as "synthetic" even though it used a hydrocracked petrocarbon (group III) base stock. They argued that even though their oil started as dino juice rather than being synthesized in a lab, they refined it so much that the process qualifies to be called "synthetic."

Mobil 1 sued them ... and lost. Not long after that, Mobil 1 quietly switched to group III base stocks themselves. The only exception, as far as I know, is the 15w-50 which is still the original formulation (and that's probably why it's the only one that still has lots of ZDDP in it, as volvoclearinghouse said above).

Does any if this matter? Probably not.

But, if you want to pay for "full synthetic" oil, then you should check the labels to make sure they really use group IV or V base stocks. Companies like Amsoil, Redline, MPT, Motul, Elf/Total, Joe Gibbs, and others who do spend the money on true synthetic base stocks will proudly say so. If they don't specify the base stock (Royal Purple, Mobil 1, Castrol, Pennzoil, etc etc.) then it's pretty safe to assume they're using group III still stocks.

Again...does that matter? That's for you to decide.

Personally, I would run Brad Penn PG1 (which is the old Kendall GT1 before ConocoPhillips took them over) before any of the mainstream "synthetic" oils at WalMart.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/24/17 12:28 p.m.

Back when I was active in SAE and used to read technical reports regularly, the Mobil engineers published impressive SAE Papers documenting their research. They were definitely the leaders in major brand synthetic oil R&D. Everyone's formulations have changed over the years. I am sure there is a lot of "marketing" involved in the Mobil deals with Porsche, Corvette, etc. but you have hundreds of thousands of new cars going out the door every year with Mobil 1 as factory fill. That provides a huge base of experience, with scant few issues.

Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
4/24/17 12:35 p.m.

Mobil 1 supports our local regional autocross, time attack and race programs. I support them by buying their product. Seems only fair to me.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sazThRWSPSRDyy4dNHYoh0mOPyK8yHtyTteMSjoHjVQeKB5VBhFFEkHWT0lKHRzo