1 2
JFW75
JFW75 New Reader
9/2/22 9:03 a.m.

P71/Crown Vic/Interceptors will do 65-70 mph in reverse. BTDT at Jefferson Circuit for training. Drive the track backwards while pretending you are evading gunfire. Fun times.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/2/22 10:05 a.m.

In a Saturn the "standing" 4000rpm rev limiter is actually a "no fwd speed" 4000rpm rev limiter.  So I've done whatever that amounts to in reverse.

I did multiple autocross runs in reverse.  I beat the 2 slowest cars at the event that day.

Need to wait between runs though... no airflow across the radiator in reverse, it heats up quick.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
9/2/22 5:13 p.m.

Never looked at speedo... whatever was fast enough for a bootleggers turn. And haven't done one of them since the mid /late '80s angel

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/2/22 5:44 p.m.

What's the next thread? 

How far have you driven on 2 wheels?

GT
GT New Reader
9/8/22 8:15 p.m.

Does accidently backwards count? I have video evidence...

So there's this circuit down under called Phillip Island, you may know it from Aussie MotoGP rounds. Fast flowing circuit, particularly turn 1 which is a slightly banked long sweeper after a downhill end of the straight.

Done a few track days there in my '89 Toyota Corolla, with a 4A-GE 20V and 6speed swap. It still runs the OEM ECU including the speed limiter, which I can nudge at the end of the straight at an indicated 185km/h (~115mph) provided there isn't too much of a headwind. Once the (street) tyres are up to temp, I can tip it into 1 and hold on with the foot still firmly against the floor - but it's borderline :D Some days I had to have a bit of a talk to myself to stop the foot lifting a little, but definitely can't do it first lap or two in a session.

One day several years ago, well, I'm not sure if my line was slightly wrong, or the tailwind didn't help, but I dropped wheels onto the grass on the exit - into the turn 2 braking zone. I wasn't still doing 185/115 at the exit and probably less again by the time I got completely backwards, but it was probably still up near 100mph.

Oh and it was my road car, so no cage... I 'days of thunder'ed it and gathered it up on the grass outside 2, missing walls and marshall posts. Run a caged car these days.

Here's the gopro footage. :) It's the start of the second flying lap, so skip to 4:30 if you need to - and apologies for the audio, it was 11 years ago.

Edit: Actually it's the original image stabilisation that's the worst bit!

TheTick58
TheTick58 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/19/22 6:03 p.m.

Not a blazingly fast top speed, but how about a full autocross course in reverse?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLa25JMiY10&list=LL&index=20&t=5s

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/20/22 1:51 p.m.

Maybe JG can chime in regarding whether or not an Omni GLH can achieve full boost in reverse. (Or was it a GLH-S?)

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
9/20/22 1:52 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Maybe JG can chime in regarding whether or not an Omni GLH can achieve full boost in reverse. (Or was it a GLH-S?)

Chevy Sprint Turbo, and, yes.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SMXz1XiEyxtdiAibSAls2uJXPi8UMVcr3XIpNSTj715iNmKgaCxtdCUs0duJRzJi