1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
12/15/21 2:55 p.m.
feature_image

Is more power always more better? Perhaps, but as those power figures rise, so do the chances you're going to going to break the law behind the wheel.

Yes, there are events in which you can stretch those high-horsepower legs at a track, but there’s something to be said about being able to have fun in a car within the …

Read the rest of the story

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/15/21 3:04 p.m.

Well, I drive a stock power Miata, so almost all of the fun I have is at or below the speed limit laugh

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
12/15/21 3:08 p.m.

Get a hopped up mini bike. Makes 40mph feel crazy. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/15/21 3:31 p.m.

The Murdercycle. CM200T Twinstar. Tops out at 70 if you tuck like E.J. Potter. Every ride is the Isle of Mann.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/15/21 3:33 p.m.

Tail Of The Dragon in a 1.6L Miata on 200TW tires.

barefootskater5000
barefootskater5000 PowerDork
12/15/21 3:41 p.m.

The 2020 Challenge. In my then dd mustang. Even the drag strip best pass was 72 mph. What a hoot. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/15/21 3:45 p.m.

Driving my 64 Spitfire on back roads.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/15/21 3:47 p.m.

CA78 from the desert up to Julian, CA in a stock 1974 914 2.0. Twisties @ 50mph.

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
12/15/21 3:56 p.m.

MANY incredible CA back roads have speed limits of 55. MANY cars are not capable of maintaining 55 on said roads without rolling down a large mountain or running into the side of that same mountain. Lots of fun.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
12/15/21 4:04 p.m.
Appleseed said:

The Murdercycle. CM200T Twinstar. Tops out at 70 if you tuck like E.J. Potter. Every ride is the Isle of Mann.

On the same note, one of the vehicles I've had the most fun with was a Ninja 250. Really lightweight and absurdly high redline certainly makes it feel fast. The automotive equivalent would probably be a Triumph Spitfire.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
12/15/21 4:16 p.m.

Autocross. devil

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
12/15/21 4:16 p.m.

My 1385cc Baja Bug in the rainy; I once came around a corner, sawing at the wheel furiously, motor revving wildly and much to my horror there was cop car....................he never even noticed.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
12/15/21 4:28 p.m.

The reason I like these so much is because it's so much fun, it feels like you're breaking the law

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/15/21 4:52 p.m.

Press On Regardless time-speed-distance road rally

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/21 4:53 p.m.

I don't want to get banned. Everything I drove in high school had bench seats though. 

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/15/21 4:55 p.m.

I took my daughter for a ride in my new to me Elise last night. We went around a roundabout at the posted 40 mph speed and she accused me of speeding. smiley

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/21 5:14 p.m.

Hummer. 

(Lower case "h"...)

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/21 5:24 p.m.
KyAllroad said:

Autocross. devil

Beat me to it.

Also, driving on the beach, where the speed limit is 10 MPH feels like a carnival ride because of the ruts, whoops and wind.

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
12/15/21 5:36 p.m.

E. Mercer Way on Mercer Island got a brand cresh repave, a million years ago when I had my hotrod 510.  35mph limit and it was a heck of a job maintaining 35, it was prettymuch constant 2nd gear corners. We mighta busted the limit here and there, but not by much. At least that's how I remember it!

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/15/21 5:41 p.m.

Who knew that Woody and Captaindownshift were good friends in high school?

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
12/15/21 5:45 p.m.

Two for me:

My '59 Bugeye.  Too slow to ever break the speed limit, but oh so much fun to drive.  Steering and suspension were one step up from a go kart for simplicity and you always felt connected.

1963 Cooper S, 997 race motor, silly low gearing.  It would rip through the gears so quickly, but had a top speed of about 70 mph.  Aluminum interior.  Loud as hell, lots of popping noises, handled like it was glued to the road and crazy fast from a dead stop.  Absolute insanity that would make you giggle the entire time.

-Rob

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/15/21 5:55 p.m.

One of the few things I like about snow is that it lowers the amount of grip available to the point that driving at the speed limit can be fun.  I've driven thousands of miles in the stuff and weirdly enjoyed almost all of that time.  I particularly enjoyed the rare late night trips up I87 in Upstate, NY, north of Lake George when the road wasn't plowed yet and you could see for miles.  Moonlit night, no noise except the rumble of the 350 in my '78 long bed 2wd Chevy pickup as I rolled through the untouched ribbon of white snow at 60 MPH.

I also enjoy towing trailers in challenging places.  For a while I was hauling cars from Upstate, NY to Staten Island and I enjoyed working the truck and trailer through heavy traffic and down tight city streets.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
12/15/21 7:04 p.m.

Driving during winter storms!! Especially when it's ice underneath new snow. 

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
12/15/21 7:30 p.m.

Similar to frenchyd. Driving my 323GTX to northern Michigan for ski weekend. 5" of fresh snow on I-75 and more coming. Three lanes are down to two black ribbons. I figure the fast lane is to the left of those ribbons people are skating on at 25mph.

I have a fresh set of Hakkapallittas in some super narrow profile, like 155's or something like that. Car is on RoadRace adjustable height Dirtras, center diff locked.  Driving past people in the crud at near 60mph, throwing a wake behind me. A few SUV's tried to keep up but quickly gave up.

"Too fast for conditions, officer?" Maybe in your car...

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
12/15/21 8:31 p.m.

Today, or any other snow day, in Tahoe. Coming home the speed limit on my road is 35. I normally drive 25-30 when it's slippery. It's pretty easy to bump the NP231 down into 2Hi and let the rear end wag around the corners. Maybe a little 2000rpm clutch kick and hold a long 20mph drift? If only I could get the roundabout on my way to work with no traffic or police one of these days.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U5uOqLeueEIoIRG1WsjEsg9Y1Co5ho4fHu7KBR8JqzK1k805YxUJ1bpKRvlSpNpl