1 2 3 4 5
Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/16/23 5:30 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

He had like 100 times he could have ditched the truck!

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
1/16/23 5:56 p.m.
Shadeux said:

In reply to Duke :

He had like 100 times he could have ditched the truck!

Mopar guys are an odd bunch.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
1/16/23 6:04 p.m.

All F&F movies should occupy the top 10 worst car movies.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/16/23 6:59 p.m.
NickD said:

I'm prepared to get shelled for this, but American Graffitti. Car guys put this movie on such a pedestal, but it's just a bunch of teenagers that I don't care about or are given any reason to care about futzing around for an hour and 45 minutes. And then the street race that it spends the whole film building towards ends immediately when the '55 Chevy crashes out. I thought maybe I didn't get it because it was a generational thing, but my father said "I grew up in this era, and I don't get the hype." I don't really get the love for Two-Lane Blacktop either, but at least that one had some actual racing and car scenes. 

Is it possible that you haven't seen the whole movie?  Here's what I mean: Lucas was basically a nobody in Hollywood when they started shooting in the summer of '72.  When they finally wrapped and the studio execs saw it, they thought it much too long and what was released to theaters in 1973 and also what was shown later on network tv, was a cut down almost unfollowable picture.  After Lucas smashed the ball clear out of the park with the release of Star Wars, he used his newfound leverage to force a rerelease- but this time a director's cut which was everything he had originally intended it to be.  THAT is a film worth your time.  

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/16/23 9:47 p.m.

I'm just saying, a Valiant, whatever your criteria,  could have run rings around that Peterbilt.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/17/23 10:21 a.m.

I'll be that guy. I like Drive.

I can see why people don't like it, but I like it.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
1/17/23 10:29 a.m.
Harvey said:

I like it, too.  It got a lot of hate because it was advertised as an action movie, which it most definitely was not.  I think the first "chase" scene that was more of an "evasion" was excellent.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
1/17/23 10:31 a.m.
NickD said:

I'm prepared to get shelled for this, but American Graffitti. Car guys put this movie on such a pedestal, but it's just a bunch of teenagers that I don't care about or are given any reason to care about futzing around for an hour and 45 minutes. And then the street race that it spends the whole film building towards ends immediately when the '55 Chevy crashes out. I thought maybe I didn't get it because it was a generational thing, but my father said "I grew up in this era, and I don't get the hype." I don't really get the love for Two-Lane Blacktop either, but at least that one had some actual racing and car scenes. 

its a great film but I don't really see it as a car movie

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/17/23 10:47 a.m.
eastsideTim said:
Harvey said:

I like it, too.  It got a lot of hate because it was advertised as an action movie, which it most definitely was not.  I think the first "chase" scene that was more of an "evasion" was excellent.

Yeah, I heard that was the marketing for the film, like it was an F&F type movie. That's just some studio trying to cash in and it alienated people. This means it's always on people's hate list.

If I had to give the main reasons why I like it, it's probably the music and the cinematography.

Mustang50
Mustang50 Reader
1/18/23 12:08 p.m.

Anything with Burt Reynolds in it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/18/23 12:12 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to ShawnG :

He has weights inside the truck do he can work outs as he drives - awful 

Arm wrestling flick is not a car movie.

By that rational,  most car movies aren't car movies.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/18/23 10:03 p.m.

Not a car movie or even a good movie but as an 8th grader in 1976 I found it all to be interesting.  I watched the 2 minute trailer today and realized how awful it was.  

stroker
stroker PowerDork
1/20/23 10:09 a.m.

Y'know, I hadn't thought about Roger Corman in decades.  Now I wish I were in a position to do the same thing...  

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
1/21/23 8:41 a.m.

You know he got a lifetime achievement award?

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/21/23 11:13 a.m.

Not a car movie per se, but my wife currently has Drowning Mona on.  Lots Of famous actors, strange plot from what Ive seen.

The only cars in the movie so far are Yugos.  Wierd.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
1/21/23 11:42 a.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

MJS is honestly more of a documentary of emergency medicine in that era (and still is to an extent today) than a car movie. All the sexism Welch's character sees I even saw first hand.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
1/21/23 11:46 a.m.
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) said:

Not a car movie per se, but my wife currently has Drowning Mona on.  Lots Of famous actors, strange plot from what Ive seen.

The only cars in the movie so far are Yugos.  Wierd.

I can't remember if it was actually mentioned in the film, but the gag was that the town the movie takes place in was the US test market for Yugos, so everybody was given one.

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/21/23 2:36 p.m.

Interesting, I had never heard of the movie before and was kind of watching a bit here and there running up and down from garage to basement.

MaxC
MaxC Reader
1/21/23 5:31 p.m.

I think I was 13 when Fast and the Furious came out. As ridiculous as it was, I loved it, and at that age it served to switch my interest from dirt bikes toward fast cars. My first car was a 240sx, which otherwise would have been some kind of 4x4. 

That being said, 2 Fast 2 Furious was so bad it makes me want to throw up. I hate it so much. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/21/23 9:00 p.m.

In reply to MaxC :

I love it, but in a bad B movie way.

MaxC
MaxC Reader
1/21/23 10:13 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

It is a bad B movie... I'll give you that!

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
2/4/23 1:49 p.m.
kevlarcorolla said:

All F&F movies should occupy the top 10 worst car movies.

I'll gladly take your word for it because I have not watched any of them.  

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
2/5/23 9:39 a.m.

You are truly blessed.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
9/3/23 3:33 p.m.

I'd nominate The an Who Haunted Himself starring Roger Moore.  Not a car movie per se but it starred a Lamborghini Islero, a car I owned and that no one has ever heard of and the car was the best actor in the movie.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066053/?ref_=nm_flmg_t_56_act

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
9/3/23 3:50 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to MaxC :

I love it, but in a bad B movie way.

Yes, the first is kind of like Plan 9 From Outer Space for cars and can be enjoyed in about the same way. The later ones kind of figured out they were B movies with a budget.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GVvgOeFFTK0C5cfrmEsw3FqBDk7h8eOH6KItaAQjXAn8tvKAwSfzTAeK0mxty1N1