tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
6/30/14 9:06 a.m.

I want to screw a fitting into a 1 1/4" rubber hose like a bulkhead fitting. I want the end sticking out to be a barbed connection for 3/8" hose. Brass/stainless preferred, no real pressure requirements, but it can't leak.

What say ye?

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/30/14 9:15 a.m.

I'm going to be looking for something similar for my fuel filler. Why threaded on one end and not both ends barbed?

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
6/30/14 9:22 a.m.
bgkast wrote: I'm going to be looking for something similar for my fuel filler. Why threaded on one end and not both ends barbed?

Ahh, I was being unclear.

I want to Tee into the side of an existing 1 1/4" rubber hose. I can't just stick a barbed connection into a hole in the side of a rubber hose and think it would stay there.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/30/14 9:24 a.m.

So you want to make a hole in the side of a hose and screw a fitting into it?

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
6/30/14 9:25 a.m.

Yes

I want this thing:

To have the threaded end attached to a hose at a right angle.

If possible. Not sure it is.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/30/14 9:28 a.m.

Ok,

Get a Bulkhead fitting with female pipe, like part 50785K273:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-metal-through-wall-couplings/=smtk36

Then get a standard hose barb to male pipe like mcmaster part 5346K18.

I was going to mention you should use a standard hose barb, not push-lock style like you originally had a picture of but you changed it.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
6/30/14 10:06 a.m.
EvanB wrote: Ok, Get a Bulkhead fitting with female pipe, like part 50785K273: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-metal-through-wall-couplings/=smtk36 Then get a standard hose barb to male pipe like mcmaster part 5346K18. I was going to mention you should use a standard hose barb, not push-lock style like you originally had a picture of but you changed it.

Good call (yes, I changed the pic when I realized I grabbed the wrong image).

Won't the serrated washer thingie ruin the rubber hose instead of seal on it?

Leafy
Leafy Reader
6/30/14 10:20 a.m.

I dont think thats going to work. What you want is a radiator hose coolant temp sensor adapter in 3/8" NPT. I think autometer makes one.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
6/30/14 10:32 a.m.
Leafy wrote: I dont think thats going to work. What you want is a radiator hose coolant temp sensor adapter in 3/8" NPT. I think autometer makes one.

Ahh, I see. They don't have one in the big 1 1/4" size I need since they are aimed at heater core hoses. I can probably make something, though.

EDIT, I actually need 1 1/2" and they do have them, but WOW expensive.

Leafy
Leafy Reader
6/30/14 10:39 a.m.

I have one in my car. I think its 1/8 or 1/4" NPT though.

Maybe this could work. If anything like your original idea would actually hold water it would be this. http://www.siliconeintakes.com/product_info.php?cPath=12&products_id=500&osCsid=96bf99e09caf9a5afdb03db69dc4bd26

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
6/30/14 10:47 a.m.
Leafy wrote: I have one in my car. I think its 1/8 or 1/4" NPT though. Maybe this could work. If anything like your original idea would actually hold water it would be this. http://www.siliconeintakes.com/product_info.php?cPath=12&products_id=500&osCsid=96bf99e09caf9a5afdb03db69dc4bd26

I like this.

Tossup between that and making a short tube stub with a welded on port.

The big issue is that they say 2"-3" tubing, so mine is a tough small. I am not sure if it matters very much.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
6/30/14 10:55 a.m.

Piece of exhaust tubing with a fitting welded in slid into the hose? I'm guessing this is for the fuel filler hose.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/30/14 11:41 a.m.

I agree with the above. I don't think you will get a good seal by tapping into the side of a rubber hose like that. A T fitting cut into the large hose is your best bet. Making some out of steel or copper pipe is probably your most cost effective option.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
6/30/14 12:36 p.m.

+1 anything "threaded" into the rubber hose is going to leak. My opinion is putting a tee in there, one way or another, is the only way to get a leak free seal, even without pressure.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
6/30/14 12:58 p.m.
dculberson wrote: +1 anything "threaded" into the rubber hose is going to leak. My opinion is putting a tee in there, one way or another, is the only way to get a leak free seal, even without pressure.

It's not threaded into the hose, there is a threaded contoured nut on the inside.

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
6/30/14 1:53 p.m.

Kings nipple ?

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
6/30/14 2:14 p.m.

You might get a metal valve stem, the kind with a retaining nut, to work but it's anyone's guess if the rubber is a type that will hold up in that application. Tractors have bigger ones for putting fluid in the tires, and even ones that glue to the inner tube to replace one that caught something and ripped off.

And while I think a metal "T" is the way to go, the fitting for a poly fuel cell might also work assuming that the hose has enough give in it to be flattened in a spot.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
6/30/14 3:20 p.m.

I am slowly congealing on a solution that I think we'll all be happy with - instead of a metal T, a metal with an NPT bung and a threaded elbow with a compression fitting on the other side for the 3/8" aluminum tubing.

tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
6/30/14 6:55 p.m.

Go to a plumbing supply house. What you are looking for is common on well pipe, water supply, fuel oil, and propane fittings. I have a couple of milk crates full of brass tees, reducers, couplings, 90's and barb fittings. Well pipe is most common in 1 1/4" and 1 1/2", but every supply place will have them from 1/4" up to 2" in stock. I've used them on fuel delivery on both of my race cars. Since they are sold at a plumbing supply, they are much cheaper than the same thing sold at a race supply.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n2eqB6K5lAECiqBL7pIVc4xhecL7qZnfEtcFKAgErUkpqHpjbGD82qiqTqcExZy6