1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Reader
6/30/10 4:20 p.m.
JeepinMatt wrote: I'd be willing to be that damn near everyone on this board has at least one project going on in their head at any given time.

hehehehe....... I've got a 1989 Toyota Corolla 4dr sedan.... but not just any Corolla sedan, but an All-Trac Corolla sedan!

I've done some research and I can "fit" the S/C from the MR2 into/onto the engine from my Corolla. The all-trac transaxle is an "E" based unit, so it should be tough enough to withstand a substantial power increase

currently it has 100hp and 100# of torque, conservative estimates with the S/C should bump those to 130/130. With aftermarket management, power levels in excess of 150/150 can be attained

30+% gain in both hp and torque should make it a bit more fun

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
6/30/10 4:35 p.m.
96DXCivic wrote: In reply to poopshovel: What is your brand of ugly? I want one of those really ugly Darts.

http://macon.craigslist.org/cto/1789461314.html

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
6/30/10 4:40 p.m.

The Jensenator needs a lil' help in the braking and turning department, not to mention it smokes just a smidge.

The street tracker project (I need to post some pics).

A much molested Fiat X1/9.

Some cheap go fast, lightening and reliability mods for the LeMons Civic.

The A Mod car Toyman mentioned. I've been cranking diff layouts through the design software in my head for some time now.

oldtin
oldtin HalfDork
6/30/10 4:47 p.m.
Tifosi2k2 wrote: My "in my head" projects always start with the phrase "When I win the Lotto....." So in that spirit: When I win the lotto I'm envisioning two Hayabusa motors mated together by someone much smarter than I am, turbo charged, and shoved into the back of a homebuilt Lotus 49 replica. Shortly after completion, I imagine that I'll be arriving at the pearly gates in a Lotus GP colored, turbo charged, flaming ball of twisted metal - more than likely backwards.

Atom with Hartley V8 (two hyabusas mated) 455 hp - 100 lbs lighter that std atom engine

M030
M030 HalfDork
6/30/10 5:17 p.m.

These are the projects kicking around in my head at the moment..

Lotus Esprit with a swapped-in Honda S2000 engine

My 72 Beetle with a Rorty Design mid-engine chassis and a Passat W8 where the back seat goes

Porsche Boxster (1st gen) with a 3.6L swap

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
6/30/10 5:49 p.m.

I do not have the engineering prowess to get it done, but I think an electric A-mod car would work excellently if you can keep the weight down (smaller battery packs that you can swap out between runs?)

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
6/30/10 6:42 p.m.

Things I need to do soon:

Finish getting my 70 chevy truck ready to sell.

Change the motor mounts on my alfa

change the clutch and shifter linkage in my sisters jetta

Much later

Buy a Citroen SM

Buy a Mercedes of some type, probably a W116 or W126 4 door, or a 450slc. An old fintail one would be acceptable as well.

Buy a fiat 128 or 850 (coupe or sedan) if I can find one that isnt completely rusted out (unlikely).

weconway
weconway New Reader
6/30/10 6:55 p.m.

Pretty simple - a an EF Civic hatchback with a B-series engine for the 2011 Challenge. New lower suspension, integra brakes, roll bar, stripped interior.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/30/10 6:55 p.m.

air cooled vw's..

I don't know why, but I want one that can road race.. or maybe a baja.

pedretti
pedretti New Reader
6/30/10 7:31 p.m.

I've been persistently thinking about a mid-engined hatchback V8(2010 hyundai genesis) conversion in my Kia Spectra5. I got the idea when i was thinking about a tiburon V6 swap and came across a picture of a Renault Clio V6. the idea has been burning a hole through my skull ever since

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
6/30/10 8:28 p.m.

I've been looking for an FC RX-7 base model, Sport, GTU, or GTUs for months now. If I find the elusive GTUs, then I want to turn it into an STR class Solo car. If I find one of the other ones, I want to do a JDM S5 Turbo engine swap and make it into a track day (maybe even time attack) car. I like my current N/A FC, but the MS3's speed has spoiled me and it isn't a great candidate for autocross or engine swaps because it is a luxury model (which means power locks, power steering, A/C, sunroof, etc.). All the above models I mentioned are hardtops with a lower level of options (manual steering, crank windows, etc.) and therefore less weight. Sadly, all I'm finding locally are sunroof-ed and convertible FCs and buying a car long-distance is a challenge.

I did find an 1986 Sport model with a JDM S5 Turbo swap and all sorts of go-fast goodies for sale in NY on rx7club.com, but the guy will not be back to show it to me for another month. Sucks since it's the exact car I would build aside from the Bob Costas-magnet yellow paint.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
6/30/10 8:31 p.m.

New idea building a hot rod using a postal jeep frame

motomoron
motomoron Reader
6/30/10 8:59 p.m.

Finish RD400 Daytona, 62' Sprite.

Have tubing, plans for Locost chassis. Make frame table in shop at work, chop and weld at lunch and after work.

Hayabusa engine, Miata rack, F spindles, diff, rear R hubs.

M030
M030 HalfDork
6/30/10 9:05 p.m.

In reply to pedretti:

That's an incredible idea. Do it!!!

teamdixonracing
teamdixonracing Dork
6/30/10 9:47 p.m.

1) Put the D16A1 out of the Integra sitting in the garage into the 84 CRX sitting in the driveway. Turbo charged.

2) Build a cafe racer out of a CB350.

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks Reader
6/30/10 9:49 p.m.
96DXCivic wrote: New idea building a hot rod using a postal jeep frame

i had this idea with a grummans llv (the newer weirder looking postmobiles). imagine one of those, still in full usps livery, but slammed on diamond racing steel wheels

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Reader
6/30/10 10:03 p.m.

Painting my CRX with the Marlboro livery from the McLaren MP4-4

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/30/10 10:16 p.m.
96DXCivic wrote: In reply to poopshovel: What is your brand of ugly? I want one of those really ugly Darts.

There were ugly darts?

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
6/30/10 10:23 p.m.
EvanB wrote:
There were ugly darts?

The 1962 Dodge Dart. I would call that pretty ugly.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver Dork
6/30/10 11:02 p.m.

Finish V8 swap for '91 Sonoma.

Get the Mini back on the road.

Yard work. Freakin' yard work.

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 Reader
6/30/10 11:11 p.m.

Westfield XI

But not with the 1275 A series, oh...no...never!

How about a 600 or 750 cc bike engine? 1000 or more might be a bit...much for that car.

910 lbs stock...but using a lighter engine...with a lot more power...

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
7/1/10 2:22 a.m.

As quickly as it started, the idea petered out - I just looked up prices for used LT5's and people know what they're worth. I could handle the maintenance and parts cost, but they would be rather high. Then there's fitting it in the engine bay...

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
7/1/10 6:46 a.m.
teamdixonracing wrote: 2) Build a cafe racer out of a CB350.

this....SERIOUSLY this

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
7/1/10 7:47 a.m.

Finally driving my C4 (IT'S ALIVE!)....

Audi 4.2 powered Boxster. That one's in my head. A lot. Aircooled P-car. I spend way too much time thinking about those. Starting the E30 project that's been sitting for a while....

slantvaliant
slantvaliant HalfDork
7/1/10 8:49 a.m.

This, with a Megasquirted long-rod 225 Slant Six and Dutra Duals merged into a 2.25" exhaust and turbo muffler, modern automatic using the original pushbutton shifter, discs all around, Edelbrock IAS shocks, heavier torsion bars, front sway bar, AR Salt Flat Specials, vintage-looking AC, Sebring convertible front seats.

Photobucket

Toward that end, I'm making a new trunk separator this weekend, installing another rear seat belt, and replacing the hood bumpers.

Strokes and oaks, guys. Strokes and oaks.

Edit: Forgot to mention that Locost that keeps hanging around in the back of my mind. a Slant 7? Nice ring to that ...

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QzNpmWvPadbrtEqeBkd5baOdoCJAl00WQR6GBiIjYILYTZg5pUY67AxbHdPZyXdY