1 ... 4 5 6 7 8
scardeal
scardeal Reader
7/1/10 8:59 a.m.

Last night I had this crazy idea of a big block Corvair drag car, with a intake scoop over the roof like those snorkels you see on F1 cars.

It would need wheelie bars.

alex
alex Dork
7/1/10 9:05 a.m.

I'm plotting an Evel Keneval/flattrack theme for my beater streetfighter TL-1000S while it's apart. Red frame, blue wheels with white stars on the lips, white bodywork with longitudinal stripes of red and blue with white stars inside, a 'numberplate' section on the rear body work, single chrome 7" headlight, and eventually some flattrack style mufflers poking out low on the right side.

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
7/1/10 9:10 a.m.

Gassers! While I'm a corner-turning kind of guy, I do love me some gassers! Saturday is the Gasser reunion at Summit Motorsports Park, and I can't wait! Other than that, I've been thinking about replacing the body on my '78 Chevy Crew Cab Dually with a '55 Chevy truck cab and fabricated and really long bed.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
7/1/10 9:17 a.m.
ScottRA21 wrote: Westfield XI But not with the 1275 A series, oh...no...never! How about a 600 or 750 cc bike engine? 1000 or more might be a bit...much for that car. 910 lbs stock...but using a lighter engine...with a lot more power...

There is no such thing as to much power.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
7/1/10 9:21 a.m.
slantvaliant wrote: This, with a Megasquirted long-rod 225 Slant Six and Dutra Duals merged into a 2.25" exhaust and turbo muffler, modern automatic using the original pushbutton shifter, discs all around, Edelbrock IAS shocks, heavier torsion bars, front sway bar, AR Salt Flat Specials, vintage-looking AC, Sebring convertible front seats. Photobucket

That scenario gives me a warm fuzzy feeling in my tingly parts..

kb58
kb58 Reader
7/1/10 9:34 a.m.

Turbo mid-engine "Seven", Midlana

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
7/1/10 10:23 a.m.

How many hours I have to work to buy the bender necessary to make a tube frame for a Miata drivetrain and suspension. I want to build something naughty for the track, I want to build it cheap, and I want it to be fun...

mndsm
mndsm HalfDork
7/1/10 10:25 a.m.

Evos. For some reason, I want an AWD 4g63 again.

twolittlebroncos
twolittlebroncos New Reader
7/1/10 10:29 a.m.

I'm too poor with family priorities set higher than automotive priorities currently - so my turning gears are all in my head.

My current dream build would be a v8 Willys Flat Fender with a little stretch in the wheelbase on Toyota axles. Rockcrawler, convertible, utility vehicle, hot rod, classic. This seems to be an annual bug I get.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
7/1/10 10:36 a.m.
slantvaliant wrote: This, with a Megasquirted long-rod 225 Slant Six and Dutra Duals merged into a 2.25" exhaust and turbo muffler, modern automatic using the original pushbutton shifter, discs all around, Edelbrock IAS shocks, heavier torsion bars, front sway bar, AR Salt Flat Specials, vintage-looking AC, Sebring convertible front seats.

I've been having slant-6 dreams as well lately, only a little more on the radical side - after noticing that 6 cylinder cars in C-Prepared have a minimum weight quite a bit less than their V8 counterparts (2650 lbs vs. 3000+, IIRC).

I'd take an A-body (a Demon, in my case) and completely gut/rebuild it into a dedicated auto-x/track/HC car down to the minimum weight. Engine would be built to CP specs, which (IIRC) requires std stroke and rod lengths, but pistons and CR are free. Cam and head work is free... so build up the lightest, most balance rotating assembly possible... custom made headers... EFI with ITB's... T-5 trans... engine/trans mounted as far back in the chassis as the rules allow ... 8.8" rear end w/ 5-link... custom tube-frame front end and coil-over front suspension... completely gutted interior with cage and race seats...

To finish it off, paint the whole thing semi-gloss black with any remaining trim blacked out and some red pin-stripes.

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/1/10 10:43 a.m.

One of these

with an STI motor in it.

and one of these:

with a 2.0 L turbo Alfa v6 in it.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Reader
7/1/10 10:43 a.m.

Lessee.....

building a Stalker - that's a big thought these days every time I see a $500 S10 on craigslist

1968-72 Suburban on about a 1.5" drop with solid drivetrain and ammenities as a tow rig. Bodies are so scarce, though.

Possible rework of my 97 Exploder instead of the Burban. How would a supercharged 5.0L tow....?

Those new 5.0 Mustangs mean I really need some forced induction on my 05...

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
7/1/10 11:29 a.m.
slantvaliant
slantvaliant HalfDork
7/1/10 11:50 a.m.
Ian F wrote: Engine would be built to CP specs, which (IIRC) requires std stroke and rod lengths, but pistons and CR are free. Cam and head work is free...

Long-rod 225's use stock 225/198 blocks, 225 crank, 198 rods, and shorter 2.2L pistons, for a better rod lenght/stroke ratio. ... I wonder how that'd fit in the rules?

ansonivan
ansonivan HalfDork
7/1/10 11:58 a.m.

Yesterday I did a timing belt on a '97 volvo V70 T5 with a 5 speed. While test driving I realized it was the perfect candidate for an extra engine. The thing is front wheel drive with 240hp, with a second engine and a little tweaking I would have a 500+ hp sleeper with a wild sounding 10 cylinder sound track.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/1/10 12:04 p.m.

OK, I'll bite. How about a usably sized version of this: Or a scaled-down version of this for my kid: Or just an old-school sports racer with a R-1 motor in it:

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
7/1/10 12:06 p.m.
Ian F wrote: ...I've been having slant-6 dreams as well lately, only a little more on the radical side...

Hell, I wanna mount one midship in a Neon and drive it from the back seat. Rad enough?

Ian F
Ian F Dork
7/1/10 2:13 p.m.
slantvaliant wrote: Long-rod 225's use stock 225/198 blocks, 225 crank, 198 rods, and shorter 2.2L pistons, for a better rod lenght/stroke ratio. ... I wonder how that'd fit in the rules?

Hmm... hard to say... but the Solo rules are written in a legalese style and the general consensus is, "if you doesn't say you can, then you can't". At the local level, I doubt anyone would care... but if the car were to do well at the national level, it could get protested... since the overall concept runs against what a typical CP build. Success would likely be course dependant, with the car's lighter weight favoring a momentum course. I just think it would be fun to approach the CP "pony-car" class from a slightly different angle.

If time/money/space ever allows this dream to become reality, I'll do a lot more research on building the engine.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
7/1/10 2:21 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: 1968-72 Suburban on about a 1.5" drop with solid drivetrain and ammenities as a tow rig. Bodies are so scarce, though.

This guy has a nice Tahoe he built from a Suburban.. Very good read.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=239896

\ \ And for the slant six guys, has anyone come up with an easy way to mate that engine to an overdrive trans yet?

Powar
Powar Dork
7/1/10 3:09 p.m.

I want to put a 12A rotary in my '68 SAAB 95.

Well... I do.

bruceman
bruceman New Reader
7/1/10 6:36 p.m.

How to cast an aluminum transmission adapter, at home, for my soon to be 12A turbo powered Impreza AWD rallycross project

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
7/1/10 6:58 p.m.

Convert a Merkur XR4Ti to resemble a Sierra Cosworth? Kind of expensive, even though I think the front of the Merkur looks awful and that extra pillar in the rear side glass is sorta weird. Too bad they only made slightly more than 5000 original Sierra Cossies. So what type of engine would go in it... Any ideas?

ditchdigger
ditchdigger HalfDork
7/1/10 9:28 p.m.

This has been burning in the back of my head for months and the summer weather is making it hard to ignore

Gonna hot link the E36 M3 out of this one

Buy one of the many cheap late 850 spiders

chop out the headlight buckets and graft in the outer lights from a late 90's E-class to emulate and slightly modernize the look of the 67 cars

Flip the differential in a 914 5spd and adapt a G13B to it. Boost the little suzy motor

Install into the stock motor location in the spider. Flare the rear fenders enough to swallow 225/45/15's and the fronts just enough to handle 195/45/15's on something like a BBS LM

Spray the car in the gallon of audi dolphin gray that I have sitting on a shelf

Do the interior in tan to match the 944 turbo seats that I have sitting in front of the paint End up with something like this that is meant to go around corners

lewbud
lewbud Reader
7/1/10 9:51 p.m.

JeepinMatt wrote: Convert a Merkur XR4Ti to resemble a Sierra Cosworth? Kind of expensive, even though I think the front of the Merkur looks awful and that extra pillar in the rear side glass is sorta weird. Too bad they only made slightly more than 5000 original Sierra Cossies. So what type of engine would go in it... Any ideas?

That would be the Cosworth YBB, a DOHC 2.3 Ford motor. Here's a race prepped one Cosworth YBM Price is not Challenge friendly.

calteg
calteg New Reader
7/1/10 10:24 p.m.

Finding a previous gen King Ranch and swapping my 12v Cummins in.

Wondering how much boost a 2.7L Benz turbo diesel can take...and how quickly a Dodge Sprinter can run the quarter mile.

Getting the miata itch again...but 2000 model year S2000's are so cheap now! Depower the top, gut the interior, swap in the CR suspension....hrm.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7I2oJFqTBWJ4Oj6FUnl5n0P3Ef2zwQ7zj4Pl62mCeqGN5Xbfpru1gRTOREFY2cgy