1 2 3 4
rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
12/19/19 1:43 p.m.
Curtis said:

I always appreciated the fact that my W210 handled very capably and still rode like a Camry.  How they make it so compliant and cushy and quiet yet still be fun in the corners amazed me.

I've always taken that to be a mark of good chassis design.  XJ40 Jags fall into that category and I'd say the E38 7 series is in that realm as well.  I think the keys are low center of gravity, wide track, good suspension and steering geometry.  And then some work to keep unsprung weight reasonable and good spring and shock selection.  Done right, it allows good handling without needing overly stiff suspension to keep things controlled.  Lower unsprung weight and well matched shocks both go a long way to helping ride quality as well.  

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
12/19/19 1:57 p.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

https://www.facebook.com/Malibeast/

I've autocrossed this one, you may very well be right.  It's stupid fun.

(and I've autocrossed 20+ various cars including CSP and Monster Miatai)

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
12/19/19 1:58 p.m.
dculberson said:
NickD said:
GIRTHQUAKE said:

ZZW30 MR2- the Third gen Spyder. Might be one of the greatest driving cars that doesn't cost over $100K.

I drove one this summer and they are soooo good. I immediately hit craigslist/Facebook marketplace to find one. 

I sure love mine. It's so much lighter than the 2nd gen it's a completely different vehicle. Also way lighter than comparable Miatas of the time, so even with similar power output they're faster. They're also wayyyy less practical, having zero trunk, basically no frunk, and a cubby behind the seats that is hard to access and small.

They were- from the start- always meant to be a toy per "MR2: The Complete Story" by Nigel Burton. They are the one car I have never heard of anyone dailying for any length of time.

There's also folks in the fandom who've 2GR swapped theirs, putting 300 horse/300 torque to the wheels through headers and an unlocked ECU. With how light a ZZW30 can be, I can't imagine a car like that.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
12/19/19 2:02 p.m.
captdownshift said:

Chassis, just chassis and nothing else about it, the RX8 is pretty special. 

Since it's just a stretched NC Miata with an extra 500 lbs you may as well go with the roadster.  (which is a pretty fabulous chassis to be fair)

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/19/19 2:48 p.m.

I really love the F87 chassis on my M2.  Stiff, but compliant for the roads around here, and ever so capable on track.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
12/19/19 2:50 p.m.

Obligatory MN12 homer here. I know it's underpowered and overweight and everything else, but I really enjoy driving one of these when it's not broken.

Wizard_Of_Maz
Wizard_Of_Maz Reader
12/19/19 3:25 p.m.

E36/E46 with emphasis toward the former. It's accessible, capable, and communicative beyond most else. A blast
RX-8. Already mentioned in this thread, and after being lucky enough to race one over the last year, I whole-heartedly agree. If I thought I could take care of it, I'd own one already.

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
12/19/19 6:55 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

Hahaha, i have a friend who says this religiously when people say “oh wait.” Didn’t know it was a thing other people said!

DHBomber
DHBomber New Reader
12/19/19 7:19 p.m.

Nitro is better :)

The FD3S is my golden standard as to how it can/should be. Nothing quite matches the way it makes you feel like the weak link in the best of ways.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
12/19/19 9:19 p.m.

My favorite is a Yamaha TZ250..........oh wait this is a car forum.

I've driven everything from Vipers & 911GT3 RS to X1/9sto Porsche 356s and Miatas and any Miata is still my favorite. The turn fast enough lap times to be amusing but are just so user friendly you can't help but love them. Yeah it's an unimaginative pick but you like what you like.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
12/19/19 10:16 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:
They were- from the start- always meant to be a toy per "MR2: The Complete Story" by Nigel Burton. They are the one car I have never heard of anyone dailying for any length of time.

There's also folks in the fandom who've 2GR swapped theirs, putting 300 horse/300 torque to the wheels through headers and an unlocked ECU. With how light a ZZW30 can be, I can't imagine a car like that.

I've daily driven mine for two years now, from spring through fall. As long as the weather is consistently above ~30 degrees, I'm driving it. Of course I came from a motorcycle so having a passenger seat area to toss stuff seems like an unbelievable luxury to me. Still, I think the lack of storage probably played a big part in why it couldn't compete with the Miata when it was new.

300hp in one would be bonkers.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
12/19/19 10:16 p.m.

Kinda hard to pick a favorite RWD chassis, there are sure a few I don't like, but when I put my money down, it was the X1/9. I couldn't afford an Elise, which had just hit the US market. I sold my Elan to keep the X1/9 too, but not because it is a bad design. The Miata is a better front engine RWD than an Elan though.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
12/20/19 5:18 a.m.
dculberson said:
GIRTHQUAKE said:

I've daily driven mine for two years now, from spring through fall. As long as the weather is consistently above ~30 degrees, I'm driving it. Of course I came from a motorcycle so having a passenger seat area to toss stuff seems like an unbelievable luxury to me. Still, I think the lack of storage probably played a big part in why it couldn't compete with the Miata when it was new.

300hp in one would be bonkers.

I rode in fellow GRM'er Carbon's, which is midlly lightened and making ~225hp. It was an absolute rocket.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
12/20/19 11:13 a.m.

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela HalfDork
12/20/19 3:09 p.m.

W126, natürlich. 

BlindPirate
BlindPirate Reader
12/20/19 7:07 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

I had an AW11 MR2 and did not prefer the handling to the FWD Civics that came before it. My only other RWD experience (outside of vans and suvs) has been in 70's domestic iron. So my favorite RWD chassis is the 1977 Impala.

This is how pathetic my life is. I have never even driven a Miata. Have mercy on my soul.

I had a 1977 Impala.Ex police car. I remember it being a fun car. My vote goes to Miata though. But I am going have to try a MR2 to see what the fuss is about.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/20/19 10:04 p.m.

It's not brilliant,  but it's incredibly silly, and that has to be worth something. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
12/20/19 10:55 p.m.

In reply to Mike :

Best platform for a roadrace plane ever.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/20/19 11:04 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

If I found a clean one for a reasonable price again, it'd be hard to not scoop it up. It's such a great use of space, and it's the silliest thing to drive. Just motor past the turn, spin the wheel like you're trying to keep the bus over 55, the whole thing wobbles and takes a set, and the super light rear walks out a little... and you were doing twenty. They say the spines of astronauts expand in space, making them a little taller... I think drivers of the Van get the same effect driving over train tracks.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
12/21/19 12:18 a.m.

GM’s Alpha chassis.  In either V8 or V6tt form.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
12/21/19 2:46 p.m.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/21/19 5:55 p.m.

Early CJ-5.  Before Saginaw steering (prior to ‘72).  Because it makes you appreciate EVERYTHING else.

b13990
b13990 Reader
12/21/19 6:09 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I keep looking at this thread and trying to come up with an answer. I was born in the middle of the 1970s, though, and was a young adult in the time when FWD was still ubiquitous.

The few RWD cars I've owned have had all that unfortunate setup where two dinky arms connect the top of the differential housing to the car. I don't think that's even optimal for drag racing.

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
12/21/19 7:21 p.m.

My RX8 has the best chassis, but i would prefer to drive my 914 instead..if it could be driven.  lol   

But as a real-world favorite, I'd have to admit is a Ford Explorer, since I've owned more of them than any other vehicle.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
12/26/19 11:15 a.m.

So far, 05 ford gt on penske coilovers. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1VwKLXlU8AcsoijOPpj02ohgQEKlFLIzO5WwXv1LKD141CHGA2maimh2r7kfi2F2