Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
7/29/20 2:51 p.m.

I'm getting closer and closer with my 1979 Trans Am to the point where I can put an interior back in the car, but before I do that, I'd like to paint the floor with some rustproofing paint. In the past, I've used POR15 and Rust Bullet. While I didn't really like POR15 due to the way it applied and the rules and limitations of using it (and the risk of getting it on your hootus), I did like Rust Bullet, which went on easy and was OK to top coat with other stuff. But, the last time I used either one of those was 5 years ago or more. Also, neither one of those options is available locally, so I have to special order them. Is there anything new out there that works well, or is Rust Bullet still the way to go?

BONUS QUESTION: I'd also like to use a noise/heat barrier on the floors before installing carpet. What are people using for that these days?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/29/20 2:56 p.m.

I kinda like POR-15, but I am careful not to get it on my hootus. 

I hear Lizard Skin is all the rage for a heat/sound barrier, easy spray-on application.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/29/20 3:08 p.m.

Por15 for rust. Valspar rust tough for e-coat and clean metal. Rustoleum rust metal primer for welds that are cleaned.

fanfoy
fanfoy SuperDork
7/29/20 3:23 p.m.

Rust bullet all the way.

There may be some new paints that will claim to have better results, but I KNOW I will have great results with Rust Bullet.

Like you, I am not a fan of POR-15 unless it's for a rusty truck frame.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/29/20 6:00 p.m.

I'm going to try Lizard Skin in the LeMans.  I have done a few with Dynamat and I was heavily disappointed with the result.  It seems like it should work brilliantly, but it adds a lot of weight for very modest dB savings.

For noise, it's hard to beat a fiber stuff.  You already have the hard surface, so give it a soft surface viscously attached to it and follow up with carpet padding.

For an anti-rust coating I have only ever used POR15 and I was happy with the result, but I haven't abused it or taken it in salt so I can't really advise there.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
7/29/20 6:05 p.m.

I practically dipped my 914 in POR 15 when I fixed the hell hole problem and replaced rusty panels. It works. 

Never tried it on my hootus. Never really wanted to. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
7/29/20 7:24 p.m.

I found this can of Rust Bullet in the garage tonight. It's mostly full, and somehow the paint inside is ok! I think I'll stick with this stuff and buy more if I run out. POR15 does work well on rust scale and heavy frame stuff, but it can be a bear to work with. 

On the sound deadener, that Lizard Skin sounds interesting. I was looking for more of a stick-on roll of something, but I may try that. These cars are rattle traps, so if I can help that out at all, that would be great. 

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/29/20 7:28 p.m.

Why do you want to paint your hootis?

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
7/29/20 7:42 p.m.

I've used Rust Bullet, and I've used POR15. I'm undecided.  POR seems to require much more prep work.

If I were to paint my hootus, though, I'd use a high build primer first.

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
7/29/20 7:48 p.m.

I'm in the process of doing the exact same thing.  The car in question has a very rust free floor surface so I don't really think I need the POR or Rust Bullitt. I plan on cleaning it well, applying etching primer to bare metal, and then a good coat of Rustoleum Hammer Gray paint. After that I plan on applying pieces of a material like Dynamatt.  It's a sort of  butyl rubber product with a layer of foil on one side.  After that a layer of 3/8" fiber padding that has a rubber backing on one side. Then the carpet will go down.   

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
7/29/20 8:38 p.m.

In reply to amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) :

No one wants to paint their hootus. It kinda just happens. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/29/20 9:01 p.m.

I guess sometimes you just run out of stirring sticks....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MDHpzs4xHRAI1f1yLcwfqgc2gXZyCtOObglmnTm0H4DuelPmTLoDykB4JAYnsSFe