SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
4/2/15 4:55 p.m.

I just bought a new-to-me Lexus, and it has wheel locks. Luckily, I have the key, which I checked for before I signed the papers.

Now the question is - would you go ahead and remove the locks and replace with regular lug nuts? I'm just thinking that getting these things off at my leisure at home with all my tools available would be better than messing with them on the side of a busy highway in the rain in my work clothes.

The car has the stock, base-model non-chrome 16" wheels. Does anyone even steal stock wheels on 14-year old cars anymore?

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
4/2/15 5:19 p.m.

run of the mill stock wheels? take the locks off.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
4/2/15 5:20 p.m.

Locks are a PITA. I've replaced them on two vehicles that had them when purchased. If someone likes my wheels that much there'll be an insurance claim.So far, no one has bothered.

drdisque
drdisque Reader
4/2/15 5:21 p.m.

If you have suitable regular replacement lugnuts go put them now. Nobody is going to steal those rims. Although I have found that certain locking lugs aren't that difficult to use. Maybe if you find that these aren't that hard to take off, stash them with the key in a ziplock bag in a drawer somewhere in case they become of use down the road.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/2/15 5:24 p.m.

Yeah for stock wheels I'd lose 'em.

Lock lugs have provably saved the rims in my avatar once already though.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r0Xc3acosbTp2J49goK4cYe4h2LL003TmEXLy3swdWFulFlrnHKRr4FoEGvxkP2Q