skeze
skeze Reader
12/10/10 5:09 p.m.

while i am waiting for my wheels to arrive I am gathering tires for set up purposes.

what i have are fourteen tires all free dealer take offs meaning tires the dealer replaced and put in the throw away pile

what i have are; two 225/40/18 with a lot of tread left. two 245/45/18 two 275/40/18 (complete set) four 255/35/18 minimal tread left (complete set) two 235/50/18 and two 265/45/18 (complete set)

To go with my set of wheels

18x8.5 for fronts and 18x9.5 for rears

the thing I want to know is this since this is for my challenge car does tread depth matter as I've read others using tires with cords showing or is there a super strict rule on this matter at tech inspection...thing is free tires free up room in my budget and I'd like to have as many options as I can regarding tire sizes to find the "perfect" combo.

I'd like to see as many responses as possible.

These wheel and tire combos are going on my 1995 Mercedes W202 chassis.

PS. anyone can go to any dealer and ask at the service desk if you can go through their take off pile.if they say yes you have free tires,if they say no perhaps another dealer may say yes...usually these tires are used up or damaged. but most still hold air and the dealer you got the tires from cannot be liable for anything you got out of thier trash

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
12/10/10 5:25 p.m.

Around here, that is, Ct state, used tires are locked up until taken away for recycling; or, are sold as used tires. Even at landfills, they are in locked trailers.

skeze
skeze Reader
12/10/10 5:30 p.m.

today when i was out back digging through the pile a service tech asked me what i was doing,and i said looking for old tires.he said what sizes do you need? I said 18's then he said wait i just pulled a set off a 335...cha ching!!!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
12/10/10 6:33 p.m.

Go R-comps or go home! Take off street tires will kill you at the challenge. Make friends with some racers for their take off r-comps or shop here:SCCA Forums or here: RoadRaceAutocross

Those two should get you started. Another option is a GRM member who resells race take offs on ebay I think is name is USRsomethingoranother on ebay. He is pretty friendly to challengers.

skeze
skeze Reader
12/10/10 6:44 p.m.

In reply to MrJoshua:

Thanks for the links ...Mr Joshua

I'm kinda thinking the street tires will mostly be for set up only.

Is there much difference between R comps and street tires in regard to sizing? like how Nike's are different than Addidas,Saucony,and New Balance? like how different shoes will be different sizes for the same foot...

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
12/10/10 7:33 p.m.

The r-comps are typically fatter. This site: Hoosiertire has specs on the A6 and R6 commonly used.

skeze
skeze Reader
12/11/10 10:59 p.m.

okay Thanks MrJoshua I am getting a good set of R comps sized 245/35/18 for cheapish (that is if I'm not out bid)

How will these tires work on the rims I'm getting?

18x8.5 and 18x9.5 should I use the set of tires for the fronts and have an extra set for later on down the road and get a set of 275/35/18 to use on the rear or will all four of the 245/35/18's be sufficient?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K1geDfPnnQZzqKoWXcCYWvmSR3fjwYcXPEQuZ96cpLBmPKQhOCpzBKnRSjaHIqce