volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
3/6/20 6:51 a.m.

As some of you know, I bought a brand-new Mazda3 back in 2018- the last of the Eternal Blue 6MT Hatchbacks with the 2 liter Skyactive.  It's pushing 30,000 miles on its digital odometer now, and while the tires still have some life left in them, I'm considering an upgrade...

The stock roundies are 205/60R16, a size that's certainly available for replacements, but I've found lately that selection of 16" tires seems to be pretty poor.  I could swap to 205/55R17 (0.17" larger OD) or 205/50R17 (0.62" smaller OD) and either opens up some better choices.  I don't really want to go wider necessarily; part of my goal would be to not increase unsprung mass; I like the light, nimble feel of the steering now.  

Potentially would go with something in a higher-performance, good-in-the-rain all-season tire for the 17's, and run a more cold-weather oriented tire on the 16's.  We don't get much snow around here to speak of, but it does get cold, so summer tires aren't a good idea for at least 4 months of the year.  

As for wheels, I've been looking at 17" alloys from the NC Miatas...same bolt pattern (5 x 114.3) and backspacing should be pretty close.  They're also much lighter than, say, a 17" wheel from a Mazda6 or a CX-5.  And they're not horribly expensive- I found a nice used set of the 10 spokes on ebay for around $400 shipped to my door.

Any other ideas for light, cheap, and good looking (in that order of importance) 17" wheels?  Any tire rec's in those 17" sizes?  Thanks!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/6/20 7:44 a.m.

What about the wheels from a higher trim Mazda 3? You also might be able to find those cheap. I actually like the stock wheels on my '18 Mazda 3 Touring. But I can't remember if they are 17 or 18. I'd have to go out in the garage and look but I'm waiting for a meeting to start.

As for tire, Conti ECS. Done.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
3/6/20 7:57 a.m.

Almost all modern Mazda's share the same wheel bolt pattern, offset, etc.  On our 2007 3 I've run wheels from two different 3s, wheels from a Mazda5 (all 17"), and from an RX8 (18x8).  My moms 2017 cx5 has winter wheels (17") from a 2012 CX7.  

check and see which models have compatible TPMS sensors if it matters to you then just watch out for any of them that you like.  I think I have a spare set of 2009 Mazda5 17x7 in the shed now as my mother in law no longer has separate snow tires as she doesn't drive in bad weather any more.  

205/50/17 is what we have run on all of these for years for the stock 17" wheels, they work perfectly.  For tires, Conti ECS are great but for a less performance tire the Vredestein ultrac pros that are on the In-laws 5 now are really nice.  Very well rated on Tire Rack too.  

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
3/6/20 7:57 a.m.

I love my continental ECS as well. 

paul_s0
paul_s0 Reader
3/6/20 8:27 a.m.

Another vote for the Conti ECS in 205/50 R17, happy with 'em on my '08 3.  Whilst the OEM Mazda 17" rims aren't massively light, it is the easiest option..

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
3/6/20 9:08 a.m.

Good info.  The 16's on there now are Bridgestone Ecopia LRR's.  Probably whatever I put on there will cost me a MPG or two; I don't know that I really care.  I prefer to, you know, have good tires.  Will look into those Conti's.

Really want to go as light as reasonable on the wheels, hence zeroing in on those NC wheels.  From what I've read they weigh in around 17 lbs each for the 17" ers; the Mazda6 or CX-5 17" wheels are like 25 lbs each.  

I believe the higher trim 3 wheels are 18", and I don't want to go that big.  B-town is reknowned for potholes....But I think some of the older 3's had a 17" option.  Will check.  

Anyone got any NC 17" wheels they're willing to part with?  ;-)

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
3/6/20 10:45 a.m.

My go to for replacement Mazda wheels is Infinity G cars.   Cheap, plentiful, nice color and finish, fill wheel wells on Mazdas nicely.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0THvxiCiux9VLrcGkPGjqh3NzH1zpzHKi8Y5H5PZKM2SqF7kusGpJXj3Vlm1Wnpy