1 2
CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/7/20 1:57 p.m.
NickD said:
Tom1200 said:

What size were the Toyos, the same or slightly bigger?

The Toyos were the same size, 305/50R15. 

I'm guessing that you meant 205/50/15 and fat fingered it. For a while there I was thinking "how the hell do you shoehorn a 305 under a Yaris when I can barely get a 235 under my GTI?" LOL!

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
7/7/20 2:01 p.m.
CAinCA said:
NickD said:
Tom1200 said:

What size were the Toyos, the same or slightly bigger?

The Toyos were the same size, 305/50R15. 

I'm guessing that you meant 205/50/15 and fat fingered it. For a while there I was thinking "how the hell do you shoehorn a 305 under a Yaris when I can barely get a 235 under my GTI?" LOL!

Oh, yup. I've crammed 245s under the stock Miata fenders, but 305s under a Yaris would be a miracle. It'd look like a go-kart. Probably be pretty funny to drive, you could just go WOT everywhere. 

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
7/7/20 7:09 p.m.

Interesting. 

I wish you had put the Contis back on and tested again. 

My guess is the Toyo were toast.

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
7/7/20 8:37 p.m.

I miss my 10 Yaris on TRD springs and fat rear bar. 40 mpg go kart!

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
7/8/20 10:31 a.m.

We got data. I just have no clue what any of this actually means, so I'll let you guys decipher it

This is the trace for the Continentals. I am blue, he is red. 

This is the Toyos. Again, I'm blue, he is red.

And this is they Yaris against a stock NB on the same set of wheels and tires (The TRMs with the Toyo RRs)

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/8/20 10:46 a.m.

can you overlay the same driver but different tires?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
7/8/20 10:51 a.m.

what's the scale for the bottom (x direction)? If its time and the blue and red lines aren't scaled to match, it LOOKS like red is going faster than blue for a good portion of the track, yet the turns are done at the same time. Meaning he is probably going wider but your times would be almost exactly equal. 

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
7/8/20 11:59 a.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

I'm 99% certain that the X-direction is distance in feet, because Pineview is about a mile in length and it ends at just over 5000. 

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
7/8/20 12:02 p.m.

Oh, and here's me with Continentals (blue) versus Toyos (red)

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/8/20 12:13 p.m.

interesting, the pics are showing up on my tablet, but not my computer.

my first reaction is, that you have your description colors backwards for the first plot... because offhand it looks like the red trace should be faster than the blue trace

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
7/8/20 12:15 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

I'm just recounting what he is telling me. Also, the photos are hotlinked from Facebook Messenger, so maybe that's the issue

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/8/20 12:31 p.m.
NickD said:

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

I'm just recounting what he is telling me. Also, the photos are hotlinked from Facebook Messenger, so maybe that's the issue

could be; I have facebook pretty heavily locked down everywhere other than its own sandbox

if a csv of the data is available (dm?), I'm happy to provide additional graphs

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
7/8/20 1:03 p.m.

You seem to be hugely over slowing on the Toyos versus the Contis; did the car turn in or rotate better for you on the Contis?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
7/8/20 1:43 p.m.

The bottom part makes it look like it's referenced to the fastest lap, showing the time that the other laps are behind. So I would agree red and blue look flipped...

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
7/8/20 4:33 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

You seem to be hugely over slowing on the Toyos versus the Contis; did the car turn in or rotate better for you on the Contis?

Agree, seems like you started braking LATER with the toyos on the turns at 700, 1200 and 2600 ft, probably requiring you to over-slow and pinch the next turns. You lost 2 full seconds due to those 3 turns. The last second you lost on the toyos was whatever happened at 4600ft. To me, that looks like what happens when you can normally go flat out through a section of 2 corners, but then you enter just a hair faster than normal and suddenly you can't quite make the last turn. It looks like an understeer event from slowing a little too late at 4500ft. At 400ft - the first turn - it looks like you apexed too late (higher entry speed but exit speed suffered). 

Maybe you were hyped on the toyos and over-driving?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d2rigLsRBCkwVMM4YR5JiDKcOmdQlPvF9XTba4RniGhjJIT3vESsBCpLyRUVThBd