Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/20/19 12:30 p.m.

I'm overdue for replacement tires for my es Miata. The car was set up by the previous owner for Nationals, and he was running 225/45r15 rivals 1.5 on SSR wheels.

I'm not even close to the skill level he had, and so I'm going to buy a set of Bridgestone re71r. He said he tried those and didn't like them. Eventually, I want to pick up a set of the rivals again, but right now with the Bridgestone rebate, the scca rebate, and the fact that they're $30 a tire less to begin with oh, I'm definitely going to buy the bridgestone's right now.

I think I remember BFGoodrich having a brand wide sale in the spring. That would be when I would be interested in picking up the rivals. Does anyone have any idea if there's any sort of seasonal sale to expect on The BFG products?

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
8/20/19 3:33 p.m.

Sometimes you can pick them up on Black Friday buy 3 get one from a local retailer if you can wait that long.  Otherwise I have had my best success on BFGs from Ebay - got my set of 4 All Terrains for around 80% of what anyone else had them listed for.

Will
Will UltraDork
8/20/19 4:11 p.m.

Last year Discount Tire Direct had an ebay coupon that saved $100 on $400, and you could use it twice. So I got $200 off a set of RE-71Rs.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/20/19 6:11 p.m.

Just because one guy doesn't like a tire, doesn't mean you are looking for the same feel.  You may love the Bridgestones.

Back to back Chumpcar sessions on  (Old) Rival vs Hankook RS4 gives very similar lap times, very, very different feel.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/20/19 8:31 p.m.

Probably now that I just bought tires.frown

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
8/20/19 9:06 p.m.

What?

Floating Doc
8/20/19 9:15 p.m.

Bridgestones are ordered. I'll run them through the next several months, look at getting some rivals next spring. They handle the heat better.

Indecisiverock
Indecisiverock New Reader
8/22/19 6:53 a.m.

Id say stick with the re71s. They are cheaper and communicate better than the rivals, plus bridgestone tends to run more sales than bfg. The miata was easier to drive with the older more worn re71s than they were with the bfgs.

tux424
tux424 New Reader
8/22/19 10:26 a.m.

I placed my first order with simpletire.com as they were offering $50 off $500 spent which was able to be stacked with the $70 rebate. Also those with discover cards get 5% back with purchases through PayPal.

(4) re71s for $510 with free shipping is hard to beat.

Floating Doc
8/22/19 4:45 p.m.
Indecisiverock said:

Id say stick with the re71s. They are cheaper and communicate better than the rivals, plus bridgestone tends to run more sales than bfg. The miata was easier to drive with the older more worn re71s than they were with the bfgs.

Can't disagree. You've driven it. And driven it well.

From what I've read, the bridgestones will continue to stick until they're corded, but these three year old tires were a lot better than I expected.

Still, I'd like to see how a fresh set of Rivals work before I rule them out.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O4SUEiHBKAbdsidd6GEeHlklH65TvCoqws1ak5SzL99mKw0lPcmf5DsDhv082ZBg