1 2
snap_understeer
snap_understeer Reader
5/11/12 10:28 a.m.

You Find one of these

Yup, an 87 Nova. AKA the Toylet.

I also found 7 Pontiac Azteks, and an Hyundai accent that had rolled over, giving it the nickname "The Hyundai Accident."

16vCorey
16vCorey UberDork
5/11/12 10:45 a.m.

Haha! I've never heard the term "Toylet"! That's great!

ohms
ohms Reader
5/11/12 10:54 a.m.

i want to find a twin cam one some day

snap_understeer
snap_understeer Reader
5/11/12 10:56 a.m.
ohms wrote: i want to find a twin cam one some day

I think it was a twin cam. Is the twin cam the 4A-GE? If so, it was a twin cam

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
5/11/12 12:12 p.m.

I had a buddy in high school who had one. We called it the "Supernova."

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/11/12 1:08 p.m.

I love that the Toylet has mismatched rims.

I had no idea there was a twin cam version.

integraguy
integraguy UltraDork
5/11/12 1:12 p.m.

For all those folks who say cars rust away (quickly?) in Florida, I am still surprised to see Prisms offered on CL. At this point in time, they are a better bet than a Corolla of the same year as the Prism usually has less miles on it....not to mention a lower price.

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
5/11/12 1:27 p.m.

Ahhh, fond memories. My first car was an '88 that looked just like that, except it was tan. It was a hand-me-down from my parents. It was one of the last mass produced cars sold in the US that still used a carburetor. The base car didn't have the twin cam. That was an option, and a rare one at that. The car in the picture, like mine, had something like a whopping 80hp.

I beat the living E36 M3 out of it. I was 18 when I got it, so what the hell did I care. I was a volunteer firefighter at the time and I would keep it floored on the way to a call. Sometimes, just for fun, I would back out of a driveway then slam it into drive while still going backwards and floor it just to make the tires (tire) spin. I put about 60k miles on it before the head gasket finally gave up and I ditched the car.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
5/11/12 1:33 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: I had no idea there was a twin cam version.

Two generations of them, aye.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
5/11/12 1:43 p.m.

The silver one is not a twin-cam, it's a base model.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/11/12 1:50 p.m.

I'm in pursuit of a 1990 model GSi at this time...

Silver one not a twin-cam? You can tell because it doesn't have a red bowtie or what?

dculberson
dculberson Dork
5/11/12 2:02 p.m.

I had a '91 Prizm when it was only a few years old, with the 16v twin-cam engine. That felt like a rocket ship to me. I loved it but kept looking at bigger and better things. I sold it to buy my first Range Rover and see that as an inflection point for bad car decisions in my life. Fortunately it taught me a lot about car payments and how much they suck.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
5/11/12 2:25 p.m.

I believe they even made a 5 door hatch version.

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
5/11/12 2:41 p.m.
dculberson wrote: I sold it to buy my first Range Rover.

Dude...you're seriously twisted. Go grab yourself some moonshine.

JFX001,
Yes, there was a 5 door hatch. My father loved those Nova's back in the day, he bought two. One was an '87 hatch that he gave to my sister.

16vCorey
16vCorey UberDork
5/11/12 4:51 p.m.

Weird. I haven't seen one of those in a while, and I saw two of them on my lunch break today.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
5/11/12 4:59 p.m.

Funny, but I was in the junkyard just recently looking for K-cars, and could only find one--an '88 Reliant wagon.

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy HalfDork
5/11/12 5:44 p.m.

My ex used to call it the Chevyota Novarolla. At the time her daily driver was a 71 Nova, and slapping the proud Nova nameplate on a FWD econobox insulted her.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
5/11/12 6:04 p.m.

Is it bad that you guys make me want these crap-boxes?

emodspitfire
emodspitfire Reader
5/11/12 8:12 p.m.

There is a beige "Toylet" in my neighborhood. Plate reads "Pyglet"

That's a top drawer sense of humor for Boulder CO...

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/11/12 8:18 p.m.

The later version: the Geo Prizm

Known among my friends as the Geo Jism. Yes, we are sick.

steamcorners
steamcorners Reader
5/11/12 8:46 p.m.

Know the car well. Wife's first car was an 87 Nova 5-door, silver, with the awesome carbed engine and the 3-speed slushbox. Sold it in '03/'04 sometime, to a mom buying a winter car for her kid who couldn't handle his F-body in the snow.

Wife wasn't happy to get rid of the car, but we needed $$$ for our wedding, and we didn't need (?) 3 cars at the time.

Well, several years ago, I was junkyarding, and came across a silver Nova hatch. Wheels off, laying on the underbody in some mud. I hate yards that do that...

Well, got inside, looked in the glovebox, and confirmed that it was her car from some notes that her little sister had written in the manual when my wife was still in high school.

Made the mistake of telling her that I found her old car.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
5/12/12 3:39 p.m.
ValuePack wrote:
Brett_Murphy wrote: I had no idea there was a twin cam version.
Two generations of them, aye.

Just went searching for one of these online. No older geo versions left but I did see a few toyotas. On the other hand there are a ton of cheap 93+ prizms compared to corollas.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
5/12/12 5:47 p.m.

I never owned one but they were popular with the rental car companies back in the 80s so I drove them from time to time when traveling. They stick in my mind as being bland as white bread and just about as fast. Bland looking, bland driving and a completely bland interior. A manual might have helped but probably not much. The 80s were not kind to cars in general but this model was smacked with the ugly stick. I think the "Toylet" moniker is appropriate as this is a turd better off forgotten.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
5/13/12 8:34 p.m.
I was in the junkyard just recently looking for K-cars, and could only find one--an '88 Reliant wagon

A wagon is one of the only ones i still want! Ive already owned (and still do.. )most of the other ones i was interested in.

erohslc
erohslc HalfDork
5/14/12 7:10 a.m.

In reply to Curmudgeon: Yah, ours was named 'Preo Gism'.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ySl5g7TahvM91DpGS5giKCQcCaKkXdCKVgSqiHV6plVBLB4e33IhbNb2lvA3gyKg