1 2
pjbgravely
pjbgravely New Reader
1/14/14 11:46 a.m.

I use soft eye lifting slings to attach to the vehicle. Sling from Harbor freight. They are easy to pull through holes in the frame and protect the tow strap from abrasion.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/14/14 4:42 p.m.
killeen_john wrote:
iceracer wrote: My zx2sr had four nice eyes welded to the framework. My Fiesta , None. Ford tow truck drive put a hook over the beam axle to pull my earlier one after it got totaled.
I was disappointed to learn that the Ford Focus ST doesn't have tow hooks here in the US. The Euro version of the ST does and has those removable plastic covers in the front and rear bumper concealing the point where you thread the tow hook into. Not sure why the US models didn't get this.

Most likely it's required by some euro regs, but not by DOT ones, and they could save $0.50 per vehicle by leaving it off the US ones…

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/14 5:33 p.m.
pjbgravely wrote: I use soft eye lifting slings to attach to the vehicle. Sling from Harbor freight. They are easy to pull through holes in the frame and protect the tow strap from abrasion.

Aka tree straps. Used when winching to protect the trees.

The control arms on my BMW have big yellow stickers with a "do not hook chains up to these things, you philistine" infographic on them.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
1/14/14 5:45 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
pjbgravely wrote: I use soft eye lifting slings to attach to the vehicle. Sling from Harbor freight. They are easy to pull through holes in the frame and protect the tow strap from abrasion.
Aka tree straps. Used when winching to protect the trees. The control arms on my BMW have big yellow stickers with a "do not hook chains up to these things, you philistine" infographic on them.

Haha, funny. I would NEVER attach a tow rope to a control arm or axle housing. I've hooked them to shackles on a few occasions when I knew it would need such a gentle tug that I could have used a fan belt to do it. I've seen too many bent steering/suspension parts in the past.

spriteracer
spriteracer Reader
1/14/14 6:13 p.m.

"Haha, funny. I would NEVER attach a tow rope to a control arm or axle housing."

You are correct: Broken Cherokee

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i6YcR5LczxxNmx1ohVovyrNHni7ADXFaK4kVSgWGVYjqKTfORcsOEy3qTizYR414