GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/28/12 10:08 a.m.

The owner of a nearly-completed AE92 GTS project car contacted me and told me a terrifying thing: He can't get his hands on a 4AGE engine harness or ECU. These engines are super-common here so this is surprising. But surely these could at least be bought online. He's selling the car because he doesn't have the time or money to finish it. This car is ripe to be finished and flipped.

Now the ECU could be replaced with a MegaSquirt if I can't find an OEM one, and I figure that with the high popularity of the 4AGE it should be easy to find new wiring harnesses...but nope. Can't find new ones ready to install, just shops that will build them for you for big money.

Anyone know where I can find such a thing? I'll need one for the swap on my own car as well.

If not, does anyone at least sell a connector kit to make it easy to build your own?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
8/28/12 10:30 a.m.

Dealer would be the only place to get a new one.

Otherwise you're giving a call to Dr. Tweak, for either him to make a new harness, or to see if you can get him to share where he gets his connectors.

Nashco
Nashco UltraDork
8/28/12 10:35 a.m.

New, as in brand new? This is typically extremely expensive, so even if you could get one at the dealership, you wouldn't like what the cost was. It's usually much easier to get used harnesses from a car being parted out (or at the junkyard). If you are thinking the aftermarket would have it, keep in mind that it is very difficult to get 100% of the matching wire colors/patterns, connectors, and terminals...which is why the only brand new harnesses you see for older vehicles are usually for extremely popular cars. Even then, reproduction harnesses are rarely as good as the originals.

Bryce

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/28/12 10:45 a.m.

Oh dear I totally understand the owner's plight then...Dr. Tweak sells connectors at around $10 each and their scratch-built harnesses are close to $500...might try ordering the connectors from there and building a harness. At those prices I'll have to give the stealership a call too, might be cheaper.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
8/28/12 10:49 a.m.

I'd try mr2oc.com for part outs. Someone's always hacking up some poor aw11 there.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/28/12 10:50 a.m.

I would see if you can get anyone from car-part.com to ship over to you. The best place to get a harness is from a junkyard. They are NLA new, and probably would have cost $2-3k.

Flynlow
Flynlow Reader
8/28/12 4:46 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Oh dear I totally understand the owner's plight then...Dr. Tweak sells connectors at around $10 each and their scratch-built harnesses are close to $500...might try ordering the connectors from there and building a harness. At those prices I'll have to give the stealership a call too, might be cheaper.

If a scratch built harness for $500 scares you off, a used junkyard one is probably easiest. An OEM new harness is usually around triple that number (sometimes more).

That being said, back when I had my '84 200SX, I scored a New Old Stock harness for $200 from www.oem-surplus.com . They had just purchased ALL of Nissan/Datsun's remaining parts inventory for cars ~20-25 years old and had it listed for reasonable prices, though the availability was very hit or miss....ie, they had my '84 harness, but might not have had an '85 or '86. I got lucky. So there may be deals out there.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
8/28/12 6:36 p.m.

$500 for a scratch built harness is MORE than reasonable... I knew i liked Dr. Tweak for a reason.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tLsf002ttT6gGVnZZXcNPI8ylyXF4Om31emJLe9pzFST6wNvcsxPF5XZgFyQSfZW