stroker
stroker UberDork
2/22/21 2:55 p.m.

I want something like a standard U-Haul box van but I want two rows of seating.  Failing that, who makes boxes that could replace a standard bed on a four door pickup truck?

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/22/21 3:01 p.m.
stroker said:

I want something like a standard U-Haul box van but I want two rows of seating.  Failing that, who makes boxes that could replace a standard bed on a four door pickup truck?

you want a 4 door ambulance

I also see these 4 door NPR's alot 

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
2/22/21 3:38 p.m.

That was quick!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/22/21 4:53 p.m.

To genuinely find trucks like these you might want to search sites like TruckPaper and TruckTrader

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/21 6:15 p.m.

I'm in a similar boat, but with trailers.

I'm finding that often times finding the two separate entities and mating them together is cheaper than buying a complete vehicle... if you have access to the equipment.  I also don't know what your budget is or the sizes you're looking for.

What I'm trying to do is buy an enclosed trailer that is 102" x 24'.  That is usually an $8000 entity.  But I can buy a 10k GVW RV frame for $750 and a used reefer box with a bad reefer for $1500.  Not ideal, but plausible.

If you maybe found a used cab/chassis or a dually with a wasted bed and then find a used box to put on it.

stroker
stroker UberDork
2/22/21 6:38 p.m.
MrChaos said:
stroker said:

That is EXACTLY what the doctor ordered.  Where can I find a link to that sort of thing?

WillG80
WillG80 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/22/21 6:40 p.m.

I'm busy building an ambulance camper so I've been following prices. Ambulance boxes come up for sale often and are cheap. Usually somewhere between free and $1000. Most are designed to bolt up to an E350 C/C but I'm sure they can easily be retrofitted to anything else. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/22/21 7:24 p.m.

Sample on truckpaper but these are never cheap, even when beat.  

Two side loading doors used in auto glass delivery, different

Landscape crew truck

Does a body like this provide you with enough enclosed sotrage/capacity?  If so, this is called an enclosed service body.  On ebay.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
2/22/21 7:45 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

I just ran across a box already removed from a truck... I think it was 24'. was a bit high at $2500, but did look to be in great condition - and since containers are now almost an order of magnitude higher than they used to be, my mind said "might not be too high, today!" in passing.

I think you can get a 24' enclosed trailer built in Douglas GA for about $5800, with no options at all. And they may be up by now too! Still a chunk of change.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/23/21 7:35 a.m.

I've seen Isuzu cab over 4 cylinder turbo diesel four doors out there also.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/21 7:59 a.m.

They're not common, but they sometimes pop up on state surplus auctions.  I haven't seen any in PA, but sometimes DMV road crews use a crew cab box truck for urban/interstate maintenance.  5-6 people inside with cones and signs in the back.

Here in PA where most stuff is rural, you just see a bunch of civilian cars parked in the median.  Workers drive themselves to the site.  But in Baltimore or Philly with no space to spare on the highway, they'll use DOT crew vehicles.  PA typically uses 8 passenger vans in urban areas.

Here is one that looks like a good bet in PA

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/21 8:01 a.m.

In reply to WillG80 :

Do you have a build thread? We're going to likely start some type of build soonish. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ynoVoFh4xX9gozUXzCTCQghtybxAyJCVodvf41SjidTorpH7zle4MAB6wwFYemot