1 2
fritzsch
fritzsch Dork
3/10/14 9:30 p.m.

Am I really bad at searching or is it just not possible to find m14-1.25 threaded rod or screws?

I have a 1978 Goldwing and it came with a fairing. So obviously, when I took it off the original turn signals were nowhere to be found. But I do have 4 different cooler aftermarket turnsignals, but a different thread size.

The internet says the stock turnsignals have a M14-1.25 thread size and the aftermarket ones are M10-something. What I want to do is take a section of M14 bolt or rod, drill a hole in the middle and tap it, so I have basically a M14 to M10 adapter. But I can't find any M14-1.25 stuff I need.

Since this won't be under stress, I might just 3D print two of them, but I think there is also a (small) market for this conversion.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
3/10/14 9:33 p.m.

I've had a lot of luck at Ace Hardware; you might also try a specific Nut & Bolt house (locally it's Copperstate Nut & Bolt, simlar to any electrical or plumbing wholesale supply place...).

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
3/10/14 9:36 p.m.

Don't know about locally, but this website lists M14 1.25 threaded rod.

06HHR
06HHR Reader
3/10/14 9:37 p.m.
  • 1 on the Ace Hardware, surprised me when I found out how good their fastener selection was
turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/10/14 9:38 p.m.

That is an odd size to be sure. German cars have wheel bolts and lug nuts in that size, if that helps the search.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
3/10/14 10:27 p.m.

This is what a lathe is for. Find someone with one who's not ass deep in building a race car the next month and have them turn some little reducers out of aluminum. They'll have a flange on the outside and a thick washer on the inside, and the 2 parts are compressed together by the new turn signal. I've sorted all manner of turn signals this way over the years.

If you haven't sorted this after April 12 - ping me and I'll make 'em.

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
3/10/14 10:31 p.m.

That is an odd size.

buy aluminum rod and this

https://www.belmetric.com/hd14x125-hex-die-p-2690.html?zenid=e110nbsv6jue049kp2ndq35c42&cPath=415_416_419_472

make your own

I feel for you. Today I went looking for a M26X1.5 nut. I got lucky and it is used in euro hydraulic fittings but it is almost non existent everywhere else except certain odd auto applications

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
3/10/14 10:54 p.m.

Seems to me that there may be a brake banjo bolt available in that pitch. Or on the cheap you can just cut the threads off a spark plug. Both the oil drain plug and the spark plugs on my Katana are 14x1.25, so a spare plug can do double duty.

fritzsch
fritzsch Dork
3/10/14 11:16 p.m.

Thanks guys. There is also a large fastener place in town so I will check in store, but their website didn't show anything, so I won't hold my breathe.

I can also get the university machine shop to make me some things. So maybe over spring break Ill get something made.

fritzsch
fritzsch Dork
3/10/14 11:18 p.m.

In reply to motomoron:

I am a bit confused by what you mean. Why would there be two parts?

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/11/14 1:17 a.m.

This is grassroots motorsports. Force a 3/8 coarse nut on there and then tack weld the light to it.

tpwalsh
tpwalsh Reader
3/11/14 6:37 a.m.

I believe some wheel studs are M14x1.25 as well.

Leafy
Leafy Reader
3/11/14 8:37 a.m.

I ened up buying some from mazda or getting used mazda bolts when I needed them for something. I think it was the tranny to engine bolts on the miata or some such. PITA.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/11/14 8:56 a.m.

Some VW and Jeep drain plugs are m14x1.25.

The applications listed in this link should be the m14x1.25, it matches the OEM number.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/plug-oil-pan-metric4-2l-258-amc-engine-83501425.html

edizzle89
edizzle89 New Reader
3/11/14 12:31 p.m.

see if there is a fastenal near you, they usually have a very wide selection

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
3/11/14 4:53 p.m.

Fastenal helped me with a tapered metric plug, so they must have a fair assortment. Not the cheapest, but should still be a bit cheaper than the factory.

pirate
pirate Reader
3/11/14 5:47 p.m.

Fastenal, Grainger and McMaster Carr all have online catalogs and will sell online. I needed a nut in the 14mm x 1.25 pitch and couldn't find it anywhere. I purchased it online at Fastenal and had them ship it to a local(15 miles)Fastenal store to avoid the shipping and handling charges and picked it up within 2 days. Had not other options no one local had any stock.

frenchy
frenchy Reader
3/11/14 6:33 p.m.

I actually work for Fastenal, I'm glad you guys brought it up. We're a pretty good place to go if you need something right away, we have a pretty good selection on the shelf. If we don't have it on hand we can usually get it in a day or two. McMaster has damn near everything, it's a pretty good source too if you are buying online.

If you are working on a project and need oddball stuff all the time, it can pay to get to know us. We're open 7-5 but I have customers that know they can come in late if I'm still there. I've had several customers that came in once every two weeks or whatever and when they got their project done they brought it in to show me, pretty cool! I've also hooked up people with racecars if they put a Fastenal sticker on it. Shameless plug for where I work...

fritzsch
fritzsch Dork
3/11/14 7:59 p.m.
frenchy wrote: I've also hooked up people with racecars if they put a Fastenal sticker on it.

I'll put Fastenal stickers all over my cars if you give me a racecar.

pirate
pirate Reader
3/12/14 3:30 p.m.

If you know you will be purchasing a reasonable amount of stuff from Fastenal you can also set up a store account and recieve a discount on items purchased.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/12/14 4:36 p.m.

I'm having a heck of a time finding M16x1.5 coupling nuts. Maybe I'll try the local Fastenal.

Leafy
Leafy Reader
3/12/14 5:05 p.m.
bgkast wrote: I'm having a heck of a time finding M16x1.5 coupling nuts. Maybe I'll try the local Fastenal.

Isnt that a pretty common metric straight pipe thread? Maybe just get a female nipple?

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
3/12/14 5:51 p.m.
Leafy wrote: Maybe just get a female nipple?

Those only come in pairs (occasionally 3s).

frenchy
frenchy Reader
3/12/14 9:19 p.m.
bgkast wrote: I'm having a heck of a time finding M16x1.5 coupling nuts. Maybe I'll try the local Fastenal.

Fine thread? That's going to be a tough go. I just looked and there isn't a standard Fastenal part number for that so it's really not obtainable there. I just checked and mcmaster doesn't have it either so these must not be very common. I would google up a metric specialty place and see if you can find it there.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/13/14 7:35 a.m.

Metric pipe coupler for M16x1.5:

http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/9043M_Metric_Female_Coupling_p/9043m.htm

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tjAeAR8psnviWivyvmNG1oaWMeX9U1BRQHW5SwRJhCXKt3JZ3UAgANPxkWwvU4lP