Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/29/22 10:09 p.m.

There are a couple places I like locally, unfortunately with the new(ish) job I'm not even in the same zip code when they open or close, and they don't open on weekends.

I've used a couple places online, but nothing has wowed me with prices, customer service, or anything else.  Anyone have a go-to they really like?

Currently I'm working with aluminum sheet, but soon I'll need some decent sized aluminum tubing as well.  

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
1/29/22 10:21 p.m.

Online metals is a great resource, shipping sucks.  Let me know if you want a discount code.

I have always worked in manufacturing where we recycle 20k lbs of steel per week.   So I just take some scrap.

Mcmaster Carr or MSC May also have raw materials.

GaryC83
GaryC83 New Reader
1/29/22 10:29 p.m.

McMaster is super expensive on a lot of stuff. We try and use our local guys whenever possible as some items are 30-40% more from McMaster. Paying for the convenience of it, for sure. 

As far as other online supply houses, Online Metals, Metalsupermarkets and metalsdepot have all been 'ok'. Nothing that even comes close to our local guys though, unfortunately.

Onlinemetals.com for me. Not the cheapest, but click-click-click convenience, and it arrives next day or two day timeframe. I could spend more in gas and time driving all over town for a deal, or spend more paying rent on storage space to store metal stock, but have found it worthwhile to buy what I need when I need it.

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
1/29/22 10:58 p.m.

Alro on 49th St in Clearwater for small stuff and drops. Alro main local location in Tampa and have it delivered for any kind of quantity.

I drive around a lot during the day. If you are looking for something specific let me know. I can pick it up in my travels and you can pick it up on the weekend at my new game room.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/22 9:02 a.m.

I used to use a small fab shop but they closed. Now it's either Ryerson or the scrap yard depending on what I need. 

Edit to say, I have bought some small pieces of metal from Amazon. 6" square of 1" aluminum and several 3"-6" rounds in the 6" range. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/22 9:50 a.m.

I used to go to the Metal Supermarket (which was awesome), but the local one closed and I think the next closest one is outside Boston.sad

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/22 10:06 a.m.

There's a scrap yard by me that also sells new metal pretty reasonably. But they do it by taking overstock and such from others, so it's less "order exactly what you need" and more "find something you can use".

I do have to get there when they are open but they are open 4 hours on Saturday. They also buy my scrap when I'm there, and if needed they let you walk around the scrapyard and scrounge if you like.

I don't buy metal all that often though. I prefer to work with wood mostly unless the situation really dictates it (like, um, cars haha).

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/30/22 10:09 a.m.

It's tough. Most places have bankers hours and don't want to deal with small stuff. 

I found an also I can get to during my lunch break. They seem ok, but not cheap unless you find something in the leftovers bin.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
1/30/22 10:27 a.m.

I've never needed a large amount of anything, but I've used Onlinemetals.com and Metalsdepot.com both with good results. 

Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado Dork
1/30/22 11:25 a.m.

I get my sheet steel from a local spot, Eastside Steel in Vancouver, WA.  They're steel only, which is a shame.

I get most of my aluminum stock from Metal Supermarkets in Portland.  Honestly kind of surprised by their prices.  Not the cheapest, but reasonable enough to keep me coming back because of the convenience.

And all the super specific stuff that a generic steelyard isn't going to have comes from McMaster-Carr.  Thin wall DOM, 4130, stuff like that.

Raw materials are pretty spendy right now.  I'm right at the end of my last sheet of 20ga and I'm not looking forward to buying more.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
1/30/22 12:23 p.m.

I am lucky enough to have a stellar local metal yard 6 blocks from my shop with a friendly staff that knows me by name. They let you walk around with calipers to pick out whatever you desire. They stock everything from rebar, structural beams and fire hydrants to tool steels, 4130 DOM, 4140 shafting and sheet stock. They also shear, bandsaw and cnc plasma cut to whatever you want.

But I will admit, sometimes if it is nasty out I just order 3 foot lengths of stuff from mcmaster.com

If you ever need any metals near Eugene OR stop by Coyote steel

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
1/30/22 12:36 p.m.

I googled "tampa florida surplus metal" and came up with a number of places in your general area, but don't know if they are convenient to you.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/30/22 12:51 p.m.
jgrewe said:

Alro on 49th St in Clearwater for small stuff and drops. Alro main local location in Tampa and have it delivered for any kind of quantity.

I drive around a lot during the day. If you are looking for something specific let me know. I can pick it up in my travels and you can pick it up on the weekend at my new game room.

That sounds like a good plan.  I need to come out there and see your new setup anyways.  Were you able to get one of the mills up and running?
Main Alro in Tampa has stopped allowing walk-ins and sales less than $100.  I think it was them at least, one of the big suppliers over here.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/30/22 2:04 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

I used to go to the Metal Supermarket (which was awesome), but the local one closed and I think the next closest one is outside Boston.sad

Have you been down to Logan steel?  That place is incredible!

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
1/30/22 4:03 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
jgrewe said:

That sounds like a good plan.  I need to come out there and see your new setup anyways.  Were you able to get one of the mills up and running?
Main Alro in Tampa has stopped allowing walk-ins and sales less than $100.  I think it was them at least, one of the big suppliers over here.

The mills and lathe have just been in my way while trying to set up the car racks.  Once I fill the racks I'll have space to figure out where the rest of the stuff is going. It is going to be a way better set up than I had.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NDwe3FCxtJLfGur6tzuhGd31GXJAdCIlCGwrS4knrAAmEFnJrAtdXFqIhyxV1MeL