thedoc
thedoc GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/18/20 12:31 p.m.

I have to replace a frayed seatbelt (it failed tech for a hill climb!).  It's the drivers side.  There  are several options, so I thought I'd ask for some input.  Anyone have any suggestions?  My car is a 99.

Thanks

I just realized it might be easier just to put a harness in the car.  the car has a hard do roll bar.   Any input on that?

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
2/18/20 12:55 p.m.

Detroit area and he parts lots of NBs. He might be willing to ship you a belt.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/18/20 1:01 p.m.

Theres a guy here parts a bunch of nb. I can grab one from him and toss it in a flat rate box.

Harness: i ised stock bolt outboard, drilled a hole and backing plate trans tunnel side, and wrapped the shoulder belts around the bar.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
2/18/20 1:21 p.m.

You can buy new replacements from several places for not much more than a used belt will cost you. I bought some from seatbeltplanet.com for my NA with the receiver end about 4" shorter, so it would fit my Elise seats better. That said, I would not buy from them again - their anchors were the wrong size for the car, so I needed to drill the hole out to allow it to rotate like the stock belt.

There are a bunch of places that will reweb a belt that you send them too.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
2/18/20 1:41 p.m.

https://treasurecoastmiata.com

^Good people and longtime friends of GRM.

aw614
aw614 Reader
2/18/20 1:46 p.m.

I take it Mazda doesn't have a lifetime warranty on seatbelts that you can just take it to the dealership and get new ones installed like how you can with older hondas? 

thedoc
thedoc GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/18/20 4:03 p.m.

thanks guys, I will look into all of them.  I am not going to put a harness in the car.  If I replace the belt I can pass tech for the  next hill climb.  I have shroth belts in my mustang that bolt onto the factory points.  Odd that someone has not done that with a miata.  They are great for auto cross, then totally out of the way for daily driving.

As always, thanks for the advice!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/20 4:06 p.m.

Keep in mind that seatbelts are intended to be one-time use, and getting one from a salvage car may mean it has already been used. A Spec Miata shop might be a better option.

They're $150 new from Mazda via Mazda Motorsports.

I ran both a harness and a three point in my street Miata years ago - I think we still have at least one Miata in the FM fleet set up that way. The biggest problem is dealing with the sub belt. Best option is to poke a hole through the bottom seat cushion.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/18/20 4:10 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

https://treasurecoastmiata.com

^Good people and longtime friends of GRM.

agree

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vvthE9xqG6oJYf5id2b6Cv3hYBP5ttJeFT2u9G5uDvunOLmrQVL3LOWBMWawrt4Y