That isn't expired?

I'm ok with buying new & supporting a GRM advertiser, but it's for a Challenge car, so cheaper is better. So far all the used harnesses I've found were either out of date, or almost the same price as a new one. 

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/9/21 9:07 a.m.

I've got an extra 5 point that I'd let go real cheap, but it's expired. For challenge purposes, I didn't think that matters...

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
6/9/21 9:09 a.m.

If you want it not expired, that might be a tough call.  I bought a 5 point for my previous challenge car that was a few months expired for about $30 on eBay.  I'm sorry if that's no help.

Per the current Challenge rules:

"If the OEM belt is not three-point, or if the driver’s seating position has been modified significantly, then a racing harness is required. Racing harnesses must have a minimum of five points, and may be no more than two years old. Older harnesses that have been professionally re-webbed, inspected and re-certified within the previous two years are acceptable."

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
6/9/21 9:28 a.m.

Well, in that case you can toss my comment right out the window!  

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
6/9/21 9:39 a.m.

Jegs has SFI rated 5 point for $116.99 with a camlock. Doubt you could beat that price for new.

LINK

In reply to captainawesome :

Thanks. I'd seen that, but just can't fathom paying over $100 for a harness. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/9/21 9:45 a.m.

The G-Force 6000 series harness is the cheapest I'm aware of at around $75.00. 

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
6/9/21 9:46 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

You can drop price pretty good with a latch & link setup.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/9/21 9:51 a.m.

I'm not sure if there is a pep boys near you that has a speed shop, but if there is some of them carry G Force harnesses and they're closing all the speed shops, so deals can possibly be had. Speed shop managers (each store with a speed shop has one) have the ability to adjust prices to match or beat competitors or on discontinuing merchandise, and it's all getting discontinued at this point. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/9/21 10:19 a.m.

In reply to APEowner :

Thanks! Even with shipping that's looking like the cheapest one so far. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
6/9/21 11:05 a.m.

I use the G-force ones as well. I recently bought a set of RaceQuip ones form the local speed shop $86 with tax.

APEowner
6/9/21 11:28 a.m.

You're welcome.  I haven't looked but it's possible that you can buy through Amazon Prime and not even have to pay shipping.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/9/21 11:45 a.m.

Call up a place like safe racer and ask if they have any stale ones. If you only want them to be valid for the event you may be able to get a deal on one that's going to expire in a few months. 

$100 for a harness is a good deal if you wreck. If you don't wreck, you don't need one at all. 

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/9/21 11:59 a.m.

The Jegs branded ones are a little cheaper even than that G-Force. Out of stock right now, but bonus - you can get it in pink!

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
6/9/21 12:25 p.m.

Pete, I have a set of sfi harnesses that I bought new for this past challenge, and they'll expire before I can get that car to Florida,  shoot me a pm or call/text four3five 6thirtytwo 59fiveate. They're red. Say $50 plus the smallest flat rate I can fit them in. 

6/9/21 12:26 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

Thanks!

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
6/9/21 12:33 p.m.

First - cheap can be relative. For instance when compared to the cost of repairing the damage to you when the cheap crap fails.

An inexpensive alternative might be . . . find the hardware that has expired webbing and have that re-webbed.

https://www.deist.com/ their catalog lists the re-web service. A call should not cost very much.

In reply to L5wolvesf :

Well cheap is relative to Challenge budget, so yeah, as close to free as possible. I did find some places offering rewebbing service, but the belt must be less than a certain age, only previously been rewebbed x-number of times, and/or they only reweb their own belts. 

It won't see any street miles beyond troubleshooting & shakedowns, and I think I'll be able to keep the factory belts too. 

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/10/21 1:16 a.m.

Latch n link sux big time 

APEowner
6/10/21 5:58 a.m.
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) said:

Latch n link sux big time 

It's certainly inconvenient but Challenge budget.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
6/10/21 7:37 a.m.

Pete, seat belts are budget exempt for the Challenge. Why not get whatever you want?

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/10/21 7:44 a.m.
APEowner said:

You're welcome.  I haven't looked but it's possible that you can buy through Amazon Prime and not even have to pay shipping.

I would be leery of buying any safety equipment from Amazon as the products turn out to be counterfeit semi-regularly, even when "sold and shipped" by Amazon.

APEowner
6/10/21 8:55 a.m.
pointofdeparture said:
APEowner said:

I would be leery of buying any safety equipment from Amazon as the products turn out to be counterfeit semi-regularly, even when "sold and shipped" by Amazon.

That's a good point.  When I buy performance automotive stuff through Amazon I make sure it's sold by one of the reputable vendors like Speedway or Jegs. 

6/10/21 9:47 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

Pete, seat belts are budget exempt for the Challenge. Why not get whatever you want?

I went back & re-read the rules, but it still wasn't clear to me, so I asked Tom. You're correct - 5-point harnesses are not a hit to the budget!

Sorry for the pointless thread everyone. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7t0t7D0Stzc6LLMZAyfN98n7wrspGsiOG8CDTtTa0bHm134OWqg6tTFScMfy5NUL