1 2
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/23/21 12:57 p.m.

Now that Sears is all but dead, where can you turn in a busted ratchet? Or did Stanley screw us out of that when they bought the name? I have local access to Menards, Lowe's, Home Depot,  and Ace.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
1/23/21 1:17 p.m.

I've read elsewhere that some places will exchange and some won't. If your broken ratchet was an older US made one you won't get the same in exchange. My local ACE carries Craftsman but I haven't tried an exchange there. I read Lowes MAY be clearance-ing Craftsman already but I don't have one local.

There are repair / rebuild parts available for some CM tools.

Shadeux (Forum Supporter)
Shadeux (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/23/21 1:30 p.m.

My Lowes will exchange but only for the same tool. I fractured the head on a long Craftsman screwdriver (on a 1 3/4" wood screw using one hand) but the new one was not the same thickness or length as the old one. The 40 year old screwdriver was about half as thick as the new one. That was interesting.

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/23/21 1:46 p.m.

I've exchanged a few different Craftsman tools at my local Lowes in the last 2 or 3 years.  As mentioned above, the quality of the replacement might not be at the same level depending on how old your original is.  For now, my tools aren't very old and I'd rather have a new one that still functions for $0 than a broken one that does me no good.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/23/21 1:47 p.m.

Ace will usually do it, or lowes. Both run a same for same policy though. 

drock25too
drock25too Reader
1/23/21 1:48 p.m.

I think Lowes is discontinuing Kobalt in favor of Craftsmen. Lowes and True Value Hardware have Craftsman here.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/23/21 2:07 p.m.

My 36" ratcheting breaker bar broke and I tried Lowes; they didn't know anything about the exchange program and wouldn't deal with me.  I just welded it up when I got home.  Curious to see how this ends.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
1/23/21 2:23 p.m.

Take it into Harbor Freight. 

Then find a similar one and buy it for 4 bucks.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
1/23/21 3:37 p.m.

You can find a retailer close to you from their website, or you can contact them directly for repair or replacement.  https://www.craftsman.com/find-a-retailer

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
1/23/21 3:45 p.m.

I'd think that Ace would probably try to do it.

pirate
pirate HalfDork
1/23/21 3:47 p.m.

I called the number listed below probably 18 months ago and they took information and just sent me new tool. Didn't ask for broken tool to be sent back. It did take several weeks for tool to arrive. Also be prepared to go through a laundry list of options from there phone system. 

Contact Information

You can contact the customer service representative of Craftsman calling Craftsman's helpline phone numbers.

Toll-Free Number:

• (888) 331-4569 

Customer Service:

• (888) 331-4569 
  • (410) 716-3900

Corporate Office Address:

Stanley Black & Decker, Inc.

701 E. Joppa Road, Mail Stop No. TW230

Towson, Maryland 21286

United States

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/23/21 4:04 p.m.
pirate said:

I called the number listed below probably 18 months ago and they took information and just sent me new tool. Didn't ask for broken tool to be sent back. It did take several weeks for tool to arrive. Also be prepared to go through a laundry list of options from there phone system. 

Contact Information

You can contact the customer service representative of Craftsman calling Craftsman's helpline phone numbers.

Toll-Free Number:

Customer Service:

Corporate Office Address:

Stanley Black & Decker, Inc.

701 E. Joppa Road, Mail Stop No. TW230

Towson, Maryland 21286

United States

Oh good lord.  I'm doing the HF option as mentioned above.  Phone menus like that make me ill and feel less as a human.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
1/23/21 4:46 p.m.

Its like 20$ for a rebuild kit for all of the craftsman ratchets. Short of breaking the handle this is the cheap and easy way. 

Craftsman 009-43434 Craftsman Ratchet Repair Kits | Summit Racing

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/23/21 4:48 p.m.

Cheaper than going to a local (less than 7 miles) store and getting a free replacement? Maybe as a last ditch option. 

In reply to wearymicrobe :

Another vote for the rebuild kits. Why send something usable to a landfill and have another one shipped all the way from china? I love my grandfathers craftsman rachets and think of him every time i pick one up.

Don't forget, rachets need to be cleaned and lubricated occasionally or they will begin to "skip," which feels like broken teeth. Lots of threads out there on disassembly and lube type.

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
1/23/21 8:41 p.m.

The problem is not finding a place to warrantee it, will you get back a ratchet that is in any better shape?

I think the last ratchet or two I bought (and am happy with) were fine tooth Ace lifetime guarantee.

Is Fastenal still warrantying Craftsman?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/23/21 11:09 p.m.

This is a more modern Craftsman ratchet, not more than 10-15 years old, not some classi, well made vintage one, so any replacement rachet will probably be of equal quality. 

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/25/21 12:46 a.m.

Throw it in the garbage and buy a Tekton

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/25/21 6:12 a.m.

Fellas, I'm asking where to take this thing to exploit the FREE LIFETIME REPLACEMENT. Unless the alternative is cheaper than free, I'm going to try to get what was vaguely promised to me first.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
1/25/21 7:38 a.m.

I broke a Craftsman ratchet a few years ago and took it to Sears. They replaced it with a used one that already seemed to be missing most of its teeth.

Then Sears closed, so I went to Lowe's for my next broken craftsman tool. They basically said "uhhh grab whatever you want as a replacement" so I grabbed a (completely different, expensive, low-profile) ratchet off the shelf and they processed the exchange. $0. I think I could have grabbed a shovel or a table saw and as long as it was Craftsman they would have given it to me in trade for that broken 1/4" ratchet. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/25/21 7:53 a.m.

both of my 1/4" ratchets suck and seem to be missing teeth

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
1/25/21 10:46 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Fellas, I'm asking where to take this thing to exploit the FREE LIFETIME REPLACEMENT. Unless the alternative is cheaper than free, I'm going to try to get what was vaguely promised to me first.

Have you looked at the Craftsman website or called the 1-800 numbers posted earlier?

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/25/21 10:56 a.m.

Had easy exchange at both Lowe's and Ace.  I don't like the newer Craftsman stuff, just getting replacements broken items. 

I hope they still keep the Kobalt line, it's much nicer.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/25/21 11:28 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Not yet, going to call the local Ace and Lowe's first. But I will use that if necessary.

ColoradoBob
ColoradoBob New Reader
1/26/21 12:16 p.m.

I've exchanged 2 broken sockets at Lowes.  First time was a simple exchange with no paperwork.  Second time required 15 minutes to do all the paperwork.  Same store, so may depend on the clerk or the policy has changed.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CK0ejqL620pcrnWUBOlzH0N4BBweJfdV2CBdFPVc8GJPZnTon9Gyt602EQu7Ueyn