LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/1/22 9:14 p.m.

I love Gr.A rally specials and have a weakness for the Lancer Evolution (no points for guessing the origin of my username).

Now that early CE9A Evos are over 25 years old, I've been looking for one. I'd love to grab an Evo II RS (my favorite of the bunch) before prices get totally nuts...which they've already started to.

Problem is, I'm kind of burned out on HPDE after instructing 20+ years. I've been heavily into vintage racing and club racing these last 10 years. Never really got into rally, hillclimb, etc. though I did do some ice racing with my Evo VIII when I lived in Canada in the early-2000s.

Which brings me to my question. Let's say I buy an FIA-caged Evo II from Europe. Is there anywhere I can W2W race it? I know later Evos are included in some SCCA classes, but don't know if anyone actually runs one.

LanEvo
1/1/22 9:20 p.m.

Here my buddy Alex's Evo II hillclimb car for inspiration

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
1/1/22 10:17 p.m.

The vintage group I run with has a club racer classs; as long as it passes tech they'll let it run. Perhaps one of the groups you run with would allow that.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/1/22 10:22 p.m.

Get two so I can buy one for rallycross domination!  I keep eyeing EVOs and JDM WRXs for my new fun project.  It's either that or build my own replica from the chassis I have. 

LanEvo
1/1/22 10:32 p.m.

A couple of vintage racing groups have started to allow '90s cars. But a tuned Lancer Evolution might not be in the spirit of the event!

When I had my Evo VIII back in 2003, I was running circles around 996 GT3 guys at Mosport, Tremblant, and Watkins Glen. The car was tuned a bit, but nothing crazy. It was still my daily driver. The local PCA chapter not-so-politely uninvited me and my buddy in his similarly prepped E46 M3.

I just wonder how the vintage guys would react!

Here's another shot of Alex. It's hard to resist...

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
1/1/22 10:36 p.m.

In reply to LanEvo :

I'd talk to them and tell them what your plans are. If you're not the fastest overall in the run group I don't think anyone would care

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/2/22 3:34 a.m.

Where would you even find one or their parts?

I had been looking for Evo III specific parts a lot a few years ago and always came up blank, aside from Malaysium braces and links.  (Higher grade than Chinesium but doesn't help when looking for OE)  I have also noticed that the importers of cars have an extremely low Evo III content, bordering on zero.

I'd be afraid, IF I was able to find one, that the car would be totaled the first time it needed a rear control arm or something else that doesn't cross over to a US market car.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/2/22 9:41 a.m.

Pete, 

You need to look at the Mirage groups. I know who has a ton of parts here in the US. They have been stashing half-cuts for years. Mechanically they cross over a lot with DSM stuff. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/2/22 10:03 a.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

The rear suspension, specifically, is different from DSMs.

When I had my Volvo S40, I had Visions of doing a complete AWD Mitsubishi drivetrain swap, as the underhood used the same mounting points as the 4G63 and it had the wide AWD trans tunnel complete with the mounting ears for the driveshaft center bearing, even though Volvo only ever made front wheel drive versions.  The front and rear suspension were pure CE9A except for the rear A-frames, which had spindle stubs instead of whatever Evos had for rear wheel bearings.

Of course, I could find the front half of everything, but not the rear half.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/2/22 11:24 a.m.

I know. I converted 2 mirage to Evo III's about a decade ago. There are tons of parts stateside and in Canada. Not really an issue. They are just held in a tighter circle and not sitting on a shelf anywhere. 

Otherwise, there are 2 big breaker yards in Kuala Lumpur that you can get things from in 7-10 days. I would stock up on a spare set if control arms if W2W. You just have to do a little research as with any JDM car. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AgJOC053d6ISFiU0hWLrJNYf8r3cYhm0HiNpNz1BYmw3RH0xbEOzHN0OXtVWxrXl