1 2 3 ... 8
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Intern
4/14/13 3:05 p.m.

Long story short, I'm selling the E30 and buying a hot hatch to replace it. Here's the question- which one? I have about $7k to spend, but I would stretch it to $8k for the right car. Here's the list of what I'm currently considering:

Cooper S

See? Not many options on the list, huh? Any other cars I should consider that get 30 mpg highway and go from 0-60 in less than 7 seconds?

Tom Suddard
4/14/13 3:07 p.m.

Oh, and it'll also have to appeal to a broad audience and have excellent aftermarket support. You know, in case a magazine or something ever wants to write about it.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
4/14/13 3:08 p.m.

I had a svt focus for a few years. Great little car. 7k will get you one with a supercharger!

rotard
rotard Dork
4/14/13 3:10 p.m.

Didn't the mag already do a Mini Cooper S? How about a Cobalt SS or Ion Redline? Actually, what about a clean DSM?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/13 3:10 p.m.

+1 for the Focus SVT. Does a Probe GT or a Talon TSi count as a hot hatch?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/14/13 3:11 p.m.

6spd celica gts plzplzplzplzplPlz

Tom Suddard
4/14/13 3:14 p.m.

Oh, and let me throw in some more requirements: lots of options and "premium" feel, if that makes any sense. I'm going to put 15 thousand miles a year on this, and I'd like a good stereo, steering wheel controls, sunroof, electric windows, automatic air, etc.

See why I'm thinking MINI? XD

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
4/14/13 3:20 p.m.

You want the thing to WORK, right? I'd be afraid of any 8k Cooper S.

Tom Suddard
4/14/13 3:22 p.m.

Ehh, that's preferred but not required. $7k buys a decent one around here- heck there's one in my driveway right now that I borrowed for the day!

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
4/14/13 3:23 p.m.

Bug-eye WRX.

I think I heard of this magazine that has one as a project car...

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
4/14/13 3:25 p.m.

Hmm... Focus, 318ti...

Tom Suddard

Yeah, that makes the most sense but I just finished one! And honestly I don't need the AWD or the mpg hit that it requires.

Tom Suddard

318tis are too slow. Focus is a consideration, but I'm not a huge fan of their slowness.

The0retical
The0retical Reader
4/14/13 3:26 p.m.

Unsure of the aftermarket but Protege5? Not exactly a hot hatch but fun to drive like it's successor the 3.

The '02 '03 VW GTI's are in that range too from my quick search on autotrader within 75 miles of 32114.

Edit: actually there's an '05 at a honda dealer for 6.5k with 88k miles on it.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
4/14/13 3:28 p.m.

The Mini I sat in a few years back lacked all sorts of "premium feel" with some horrible plastic... everywhere.

Mazda P5 doesn't meet your exactly specs on speed but seems to hit everything else.

Tom Suddard
4/14/13 3:30 p.m.

Hmm, I'll have to check out a protogé. And sitting isn't driving.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
4/14/13 3:51 p.m.

Unfortunately, in the States there just aren't that many choices, especially at that price point. I think mainly an older WRX, GTi, Cooper, Civic Si (much older), maybe an Acura Integra GSR or RSX (although not really true hatches) and as previously mentioned the Focus SVT. I don't think the Mazda MS3 would be anywhere near 7K yet. I love hot hatches. Too bad Europe and Asia get the good ones.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/14/13 3:58 p.m.

Looks like a hatch to me.

Older Mini's are expensive BMWs underneath the two-tone.

I vote VW. Ignore the "reliability" haters. Besides you could turn it into an ITB car down the road.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/14/13 4:18 p.m.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
4/14/13 4:22 p.m.
vwcorvette wrote: Looks like a hatch to me. Older Mini's are expensive BMWs underneath the two-tone. I vote VW. Ignore the "reliability" haters. Besides you could turn it into an ITB car down the road.

Ya they are hatches. More like a three door. It's all a matter of opinion, like what is a sports car? I have a RX7 with a large glass hatch that flips up but it's not a hatchback. It's all just a fine line and subject to debate. I think the GTI is the definitive hatchback, after all they basically created that category. That's what I think of when I think hatchback. I vote for the VW also.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Reader
4/14/13 4:28 p.m.

GTI, nothing else makes sense (coming from a Protege5 owner).

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
4/14/13 4:29 p.m.
mtn wrote:

I still like how these look. Yummm.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/14/13 4:30 p.m.

I do love hatch backs. I was taking my daughter to 4-5year old soccer the other day and one of the dads had a Mini Cooper with a road bike on top and I was jealous. That's about all I can add to this thread.

Except what about an ep3 si. Totally unloved by everyone but not that bad of a car.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/14/13 4:34 p.m.

Note: I know nothing about Honda engines and the nomenclature that goes with them.

Fueled by Caffeine wrote: Except what about an ep3 si. Totally unloved by everyone but not that bad of a car.

I was talking with a Honda mechanic about these at the last autocross. He was saying that for about $500 you could have a frankenbuilt engine that had around 250hp naturally aspirated. That would be pretty interesting.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/13 4:42 p.m.
Feedyurhed wrote: I think the GTI is the definitive hatchback, after all they basically created that category. That's what I think of when I think hatchback.

Oh, hai.

1 2 3 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RZJcR9JZwVmjYPTLPz7G6nqcc96JzrutdmvEwsnAcCPFAVmzBUQULrPVOexJ8tIi