1 2
LopRacer
LopRacer HalfDork
6/6/14 8:59 p.m.

Honda Fit? SWMBO just got one this week and I swear it's bigger on the inside than the outside. I am really surprised how much fun it is to drive.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
6/6/14 9:04 p.m.

TBH the Mazda 3 is one of the best N/A choices here, but if you can deal with a little less cargo room the Focus ST is just unreal in what it can do!

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/6/14 9:27 p.m.

Does this Mustang with a kid car seat in place of the passenger seat have air bags on that side? Sounds like a great idea but possibly real dangerous.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
6/13/14 12:27 p.m.
OHSCrifle wrote: Does this Mustang with a kid car seat in place of the passenger seat have air bags on that side? Sounds like a great idea but possibly real dangerous.

Air bag is disabled.
This is a pic of how he rides.

The setup, the car seat has the through seat clips not sure the proper name which I have installed going rearward onto a pair of harness clips that are held down on the rear seat bolts. This keeps it from going forward. I had originally thought that the structural beam under the seat would be good as a front mount, but it would leave no room for someone to sit in the rear. So, I have some seatbelt material that goes through the same area as the other belt holder and ran it forward to the front seat mount bolts.

The seat moves less where it is now than when we have had it in other cars mounted to the seat.

cwaters
cwaters Reader
6/13/14 12:40 p.m.

Dude... 3 series. OK, maybe they're not gong to hit that MPG all the time but I'll take it over a Leaf or Malibu. Looking at the list, I'm not liking your chances of getting two car seats in the back of many of those. Car seats are bigger than they seem like they ought to be.

Vracer111
Vracer111 New Reader
6/13/14 6:54 p.m.

Um, if not a new FRS/BRZ then how about the new '15 WRX....

Subaru WRX Review: better than the BRZ (FRS, GT86)?

confuZion3
confuZion3 UltraDork
6/13/14 7:32 p.m.

Camaroz, the Volt is at the top of my list too. Don't think of it as an economy car, and just think of it as an electric sedan and it'll make a lot more sense. I understand that they have some impressive performance numbers (like ~.90G skidpad) on their 215mm low rolling resistance tires. That's not econobox: that's sport sedan territory. They're great to drive too.

You might also consider the Mercedes CL600. V-12, most are twin turbo, and the later V12s get better gas mileage than the V8 counterparts. Maybe it's not 30 MPG, but the absurdly-low $10,000 purchase price might make it worth it if you stick to the 2001 to 2005 model. Engaging? Sub-6-second 0-60 sounds pretty engaging to me!

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 Reader
7/23/14 10:17 a.m.

Maybe using it for a weekend away is a bit ambitious with two kids in car seats, but as of now there are no kids and no car seats. I'd expect in a year or so there would be one though.

I also will most likely be stuck with an automatic as the wife is steadfast on being able to drive it without learning stick (Which of course is more important than what I want, even though she will drive it one or two times a year, and I would be driving it 5 days a week. That and automatics are generally more expensive up front and get lower mileage. Ah marriage.) So fun to drive is all relative here I suppose. I'm also not really up on which manufacturers automatics are more or less reliable so I will have to look into that a little more.

The Volt is still at the top of my list. I'm going to drive one this week or next. Still probably about a month from buying anything though. The tax incentives on the volt basically make it like buying a used car though for a brand new one. That and the techy nerd in me keep it at the top of my list, and the low daily operating cost.

My list now (not in order of preference)

Chevy Volt

Ford C-Max

Mazda 3

Mazda 6

Nissan Altima

Nissan Sentra

Subaru Legacy - 2015

Subaru Outback - 2015

VW Jetta Sportwagen (Gas or TDI)

VW Jetta Hybrid

VW Passat (Gas or TDI)

If I considered older less fuel efficient (yet cheaper to purchase) cars I would look exclusively at wagons.

Audi A4 Avant

BMW 3 Touring

BMW 5 Touring

Mercedes C-Class

Mercedes E-Class

Subaru WRX (Sedan or Hatch)

Subaru Legacy GT

Volvo V70

VW Passat

Jarod
Jarod GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/23/14 10:48 a.m.

In reply to camaroz1985:

If you already have two cars capable of doing the weekend away thing, don't worry about the dog and stuff, drop it down to 2 adults two kids, and use the other cars for the vacations. Too many compromises when you start throwing in dogs and luggage.

Scenarios like this is why Honda needs to build an Accord SI.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
7/23/14 11:44 a.m.

A Fit is pretty hard to beat for the combo of utility/good gas mileage/fun to drive.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
7/23/14 12:29 p.m.
92dxman wrote: A Fit is pretty hard to beat for the combo of utility/good gas mileage/fun to drive.

Word. I would imagine you could get a 2013 sport for less than $16k.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/23/14 12:33 p.m.

I'm going out there with this one so bare with me

Nissan Juke RS. turbo 1.6, 6 spd, AWD, space for kids, functional space for light duty hauling with the seats folded flat. Only tick that is it's barely over 30mpg highway

edit: nevermind forgot that the AWD is CVT only

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
7/23/14 1:06 p.m.

No interest in a Regal GS?

2012 Buick Regal GS

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/23/14 2:13 p.m.

BMW 335D. 425 Ft lb of torque and 40 MPG all day. Diesel here is cheaper than premium gas. :)

captdownshift
7/23/14 2:45 p.m.

can you really get a 335D under $30k? I've never even priced one assuming it'd be close to $40k...

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter PowerDork
7/23/14 4:30 p.m.

I have no doubt you could get a 2011 CPO 335D for 30k or less. Probably quite a bit less. Hardest part would be finding them. When I bought my 328 a couple years ago, I think I saw ONE 335d.

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 Reader
8/1/14 2:43 p.m.

Going to go with the Volt. Looking for the right deal now. With incentives should be able to get one for around $20k with tax and tags (yes I know they don't come off immediately, but its all money in the end).

captdownshift
8/1/14 2:47 p.m.

I wasn't aware that they were available at that price point now, that's dangerously tempting

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 Reader
8/4/14 10:43 a.m.

Bought one Saturday. $30k OTD + $9500 in rebates = $20.5k Volt.

Drives great, fun in a different way, and 42 miles on my first charge. Trip home from the dealer was 140 miles, used 2.2 gallons of gas. I know that isn't the way it is most efficient, but still a great in my book.

It's a very comfortable car to drive and I like all the techy gadgets and displays. A lot of weight down low too, it corners very flat. Might make an appearance at an autocross just because haha. Not expecting much out of the low rolling resistance tires, but it should still be good for some kicks.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
8/4/14 11:21 a.m.

Very nice! I just did something similar...moved and got a mega-commute. Mine is 50 miles each way. I nearly bought a Volt after test driving one, but wound up going with a used Prius. I liked the Volt...a lot. The primary down side for me was 4 seater, and I've got a family of 5.

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 Reader
8/5/14 1:08 p.m.

I hear they are going to correct that for the next generation.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6dgsN5oDZwFxzHnWb8yZW58U4x4o44q155iAOOatlJGqNq7Iio4NJwZxIahoV9qy