1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/16/21 7:54 a.m.
feature_image

Few car makers offer a genuine wagon these days, with even fewer offering sporty wagons. Thankfully, Porsche and Audi didn’t seem to get the memo.

Both companies make a fast wagon– Porsche with the Panamera Sport Turismo and Audi with the RS6 Avant–but which one would you rather keep in your driveway?

Here are a few key specs to help you …

Read the rest of the story

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/16/21 8:41 a.m.

RS6

Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter)
Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/16/21 8:44 a.m.

RS6 for the looks, Panamera for the driving experience, Taycan wagon if it was my (dream) money

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/16/21 8:52 a.m.

The Porsche is faster, more powerful, lighter, and doesn't have the engine hanging like an anvil out over the front bumper. Looks-wise, I am not in love with either one. So Porsche for sure. Although I'm guessing the Audi has a lot more cargo room, so that would influence a real world decision. Not that I'm ever going to spend six figures on a car.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
11/16/21 8:54 a.m.

I like the looks of both of them, but the RS6 is a bit cooler, even though the Porsche is a bit better to me. Hard decision, though I care about either about as much as I care about a performance SUV.

But can we talk about them using pictures with them in colors other than Badger arse?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/16/21 9:13 a.m.

Porsche for sure for me.  I want to like Audis but I am left cold by every one I've ever sat in.

Plus the wheels are at least an inch, if not two, too large.

"Badger Arse".  Bwahahahahahah.  FWIW Meteor Silver is an Acura color, and it's actually quite pretty - a pale metallic blue with nice pearly overtones.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/16/21 9:18 a.m.

Audi. No question. I know the 80s are long over but the sharp lines of the RS6 are a closer match, to me, of the boxiness of yesteryear. The Panamenenenanrana is too close to an overinflated balloon. 

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
11/16/21 9:22 a.m.
Duke said:

Plus the wheels are at least an inch, if not two, too large.

But look at the brakes they have to cover. Smaller wheels would mean smaller brakes, and that's no bueno.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/16/21 9:33 a.m.

Single most important question is what are the towing capacity.  Lower than 3,300lb's then it's off my RADAR, over that I'm leaning RS6 but open to both.  The RS6 is something I've been wonder about as a replacement for my Volvo wagon in 3-4 years by which time a)they will have had chance to depreciate and b) hopefully this insane world of high prices on used cars has dissipated post supply chain issues.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/16/21 9:36 a.m.

In reply to Chris_V :

16.5" brakes, 21" wheels... seems like they could put something at least a little smaller on there.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
11/16/21 10:19 a.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to Chris_V :

16.5" brakes, 21" wheels... seems like they could put something at least a little smaller on there.

Brake rotor diameter is not the sum total of brake diameter. You are forgetting caliper clearance. Look at the picture of that front wheel on the one I posted. That caliper is hyuuuge.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/16/21 10:36 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

Funny enough, neither Audi nor Porsche offer any info on the spec sheets about how much either can tow.

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
11/16/21 10:42 a.m.

Are there any fast wagons that don't cost as much as a house? Even the CTS V wagon still goes for ~60k used last time I checked..

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
11/16/21 10:57 a.m.

In reply to dannyp84 :

Older and not CTSV fast, but the Swedes gave us the 9-5 Aero and V70R in wagon form.

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/16/21 2:55 p.m.

RS6 for me.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/16/21 2:57 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

Funny enough, neither Audi nor Porsche offer any info on the spec sheets about how much either can tow.

Everyone on the GRM forum is towing everything all the time :)

11/16/21 2:58 p.m.
dannyp84 said:

Are there any fast wagons that don't cost as much as a house? Even the CTS V wagon still goes for ~60k used last time I checked..

I'd say my current ride meets your requirement.  2015.5 Volvo V60 T6 R-Design with Polestar flash tune.  Not an actual Polestar, specifically the tune that was available from Volvo as new with warranty.  That gives it 325hp/354lb/ft.  Car and Driver recorded 0-60 in 4.9sec and the ¼ at 13.5 @ 105 for this exact spec.  Note the full Polestar edition only improved these numbers to 4.5 to 60 and 13.1@107 in the ¼ in a lighter body with approx an extra 25hp and tq.  I bought mine two years ago with 40 k miles for $20k even.  At that time the only actual Polestar I could find was $30k with over 50k miles.  I think I got a bargain, even though I bought it from a Volvo dealer.   I bet I could get close to, or even more than my purchase price back now with 85k miles on with the stupid used car market we have right now.

I'd say those specs are outstanding for a DD, I've shocked a lot of people being a middle aged guy in a white freaking Volvo wagon on on ramps etc.  It's pretty quick off the line, but it really shines in the 30-60 or 50-70 punch it range. Yes it's an auto, but you can select 'S' mode and it really firms up and quickens up the shifts as well as holding gears as you go through long sweepers.  You also have (nice tactile aluminum castings, not plastic) flappy paddles.  Again, this is a car that I would still have bought auto even if a manual was available.  

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
11/16/21 3:29 p.m.

Neither.  Much rather have a Mercedes E63S AMG wagon.  Both the Porsche and the Audi fail at doing the main thing you want a wagon to do, which is carry stuff.  They barely hold more stuff than a typical sedan, my Golf R holds almost as much as both of them! 

The AMG holds WAY more stuff than either the Audi or the Porsche, looks better than the Porsche and performs better than the Audi.  Winning!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/16/21 3:33 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:
dannyp84 said:

I'd say my current ride meets your requirement.  2015.5 Volvo V60 T6 R-Design with Polestar flash tune.  Not an actual Polestar, specifically the tune that was available from Volvo as new with warranty.  That gives it 325hp/354lb/ft.

I've got the current version of that exact car (mine is a 2019 V60 R-Design).  With the Polestar tune on the 2.0 4 cylinder, the T6 makes 330 hp but gives up some torques to Adrian's 5 cylinder, topping out at 325 lb-ft.  It is not CTS-V quick, but it's plenty quick for most driving.

It's only going to tow 1650 lbs, though.

Shaun
Shaun Dork
11/16/21 3:39 p.m.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

How does it sound? Generally I like 6 cylinder sound the best.. The least favorite thing about our 07 V70R is the sound. Its 855 HPT predecessor sounded absolutely great. Both 5 bangers but a huge difference.

Honsch
Honsch Reader
11/16/21 3:59 p.m.

Neither.

The correct answer is VW Fox.

11/16/21 4:02 p.m.

In reply to Shaun :

IT sounds OK, not great, you lose some of the sixiness with the turbo, but who doesn't love turbos?  No, no woosh-pop noises, but my car is bone bone stock.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/16/21 5:20 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Colin Wood said:

Everyone on the GRM forum is towing everything all the time :)

Weird ain't it? 

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/16/21 5:33 p.m.

Tough choice. I'll go Audi in dark blue. Why? I can shrug and say I drive a "blue station wagon"..... There's something wrong with a 4 door Porsche. I don't care how fast it is.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/16/21 7:13 p.m.

I do love Audi wagons, but having never seen the Panamera wagon....man, that looks amazing. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wox0n6S6JhJT3kvHOLmtZCiss1NqQIBD0MOGDVhkB5ZTV7AJ5PbyPzUH4vWvlft7