1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 28
Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/22 7:23 p.m.

I think I've only seen one here in Connecticut, and it's actually been around for quite a while now. But I was surprised to see two parked in deiveways in Maine yesterday. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
8/16/22 8:10 p.m.

The things we do for you people....

If my math is correct, this should be 1500 lbs. of gravel. Plus two people and a few cases of water bottles. 

I could definitely tell the weight was back there, but it still drove fine and got mileage in the high 30s. Totally usable to go buy gravel. 

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/16/22 8:22 p.m.
bmw88rider said:

My only wish would be one at MSRP that wouldn't take forever to get here. I drove a FWD Ecoboost yesterday and really liked it. I don't care about the mileage as much as AWD. 

For those looking at X-plan, I wouldn't worry about it. It's not worth it. I can't share the pricing difference but it's about a single grocery trip for a family of 4. 

Benefit to X-plan as I read it (linky) is the price is fixed (Invoice -0.4% + $275), no "Market Adjustment", fixed doc/admin fee ($100), and any dealer installed options have to be agreed upon along with the price you'll be charged for them at the time of order.  So they can't come back later and try to stick you with paint, fabric, etc. protectant and pinstripes for $5k...

The downside is finding a dealer willing to do X-plan on a popular vehicle because they can't charge you out the wazzzu and it eats up one from their allotment.

Tom Suddard
8/16/22 8:46 p.m.
jgrewe said:

Well, you can tell Ford that your experience with the Maverick and your forum are going to lead to a sale. I just started to look for a truck for my brother who doesn't need a Truck anymore. My first thought was to avoid the CVT because, well, its a CVT... I learned here that I like this CVT. Maybe they need a different name for it.

The main thing we are looking for is the ability to haul a couple sheets of plywood or drywall and tow a small riding mower around town once in a while.

Glad I could help! Well, I'm sad that I'll be competing with you when order banks open, but this type of feedback helps a ton when we ask manufacturers for favors like this loan. Thanks!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/16/22 9:01 p.m.

In reply to secretariata (Forum Supporter) :

A friend of mine got xplan on an ordered Bronco, took him a while, but he found one. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/16/22 9:16 p.m.

I would normally agree on the X-plan but I've seen 2 trends over the last few years. 

1 . The difference is very small and those dealers willing to take it are not the ones that are charging over MSRP anyway. Maybe I'm lucky because played HS football with the owner of my local Ford dealer and the experience is different in different places but I didn't even have to walk in his office to get MSRP. 

2. The X-plan discount has become less and less in recent years. Use to be sizable but recently, it's been pretty small. 

dps214
dps214 Dork
8/16/22 9:23 p.m.
bmw88rider said:

I would normally agree on the X-plan but I've seen 2 trends over the last few years. 

1 . The difference is very small and those dealers willing to take it are not the ones that are charging over MSRP anyway. Maybe I'm lucky because played HS football with the owner of my local Ford dealer and the experience is different in different places but I didn't even have to walk in his office to get MSRP. 

2. The X-plan discount has become less and less in recent years. Use to be sizable but recently, it's been pretty small. 

I'm still not seeing a downside. Small savings is still a savings and it takes almost zero effort.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/17/22 12:30 a.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

I've yet to find a Ford dealer not charging well over msrp on everything they can. I'd fly and drive from anywhere CONUS to get a xlt hybrid for MSRP. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/17/22 7:37 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Tom has definitely sold a bunch of these off his glowing reviews.  
I did not think much of the maverick at first but im a pretty big fan of it now.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
8/17/22 7:57 a.m.

I know GRM is not a traditional car review mag, but I know it tends to be a big deal when a reviewer (who has near constant access to new cars) actually buys something they reviewed.  I don't remember the author anymore, but I do remember back in the 80's a C&D editor liked the Corolla FX16 so much, he bought one.  

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/17/22 9:49 a.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

I'll still do it. Well, not x, but it still saves money especially when dealers have their own mark up. 

Dealers get a bounce back from Ford these sales- less work, easy money. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/17/22 10:32 a.m.

I've thought about buying a base one. They are available locally for around $23K. Of all the things that I'd miss from the more expensive packages, the one that really stands out is full climate control. I hate to constantly fiddle with the temperature. But the wheels, the fancy upholstery, the sound system, meh, not so important.

Tom Suddard
8/17/22 10:40 a.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

Supposedly the base models have single zone automatic climate control. The way Ford's info is worded it's hard to tell but that's what I've read on the forums. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/17/22 10:57 a.m.

Ford's website says: 

• MANUAL A/C, SINGLE ZONE

dps214
dps214 Dork
8/17/22 11:04 a.m.

They all have "full" climate control. XL and XLT are single zone, lariat is dual zone.

Tom Suddard
8/17/22 11:14 a.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

I just texted my uncle's neighbor (who has an XL) and asked. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/22 11:29 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

I know GRM is not a traditional car review mag, but I know it tends to be a big deal when a reviewer (who has near constant access to new cars) actually buys something they reviewed.  I don't remember the author anymore, but I do remember back in the 80's a C&D editor liked the Corolla FX16 so much, he bought one.  

When R&T got a 1990 Miata (number 348) for a 30,000 mile long term test, they decided to keep it for 50,000 miles. Then Dennis Simaintis (spelling) bought it instead of returning it to Mazda. He still has it :)

Keith Tanner
8/17/22 11:31 a.m.
MrJoshua said:

It looks like about 2/3 of each sheet is behind the rear axle. The nose will probably be a bit light with that 1500lb payload. 

It's probably a reasonable statement to say that if you're carrying 1500 lbs of plywood frequently, maybe it's time for a bigger truck than the smallest one Ford sells :) I'd call this proof of capability for occasional use, which is fine for a compact. 

Keith Tanner
8/17/22 11:34 a.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

My dream version would be AWD hybrid with 2 doors and space behind the seats. So the bed ends up being somewhere between 70 and 78 inches for significantly enhanced usability, but I can still recline the seats and have dry storage for some stuff. With my only son about to leave for college, I'd rather have bed space than room for additional adults.

I'd call that a crew cab. Once you have space behind the seats, you might as well have enough room for a pair of jump seats. You basically want my old 1989 Toyota pickup but with crash protection and a modern drivetrain. 

Tom Suddard
8/17/22 6:15 p.m.

I spotted another journalist today that had an XLT (the trim I ordered):

"HEY CAN I SIT IN YOUR TRUCK!?"

The guy was nice and we compared notes for a few minutes. He'd just picked it up, but seemed to be impressed with it. 

After sitting in it, I have no regrets about not speccing a lariat. I think I actually like the cloth interior and smaller wheels better. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/17/22 7:09 p.m.

Any chance we could get a picture of you or another adult in the back seat with the front seat set for you?

Seeing the price point on these just put the XLT AWD on my radar for the wife's next vehicle, but the kids aren't getting any smaller. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/17/22 7:35 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

https://www.grangerford.com/ 

My understanding is these are the guys to call from my local ford guy. They haven't been doing mark-ups on Lightnings and Broncos so I'd be amazed if they did it on the maverick. 

I drove a ecoboost XLT FWD today and liked it.

Too bad it is literally right at the towing limit for what I'd use my truck for with the AWD and towing package. Too close for my comfort on a regular basis. 

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
8/17/22 8:49 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
MrJoshua said:

It looks like about 2/3 of each sheet is behind the rear axle. The nose will probably be a bit light with that 1500lb payload. 

It's probably a reasonable statement to say that if you're carrying 1500 lbs of plywood frequently, maybe it's time for a bigger truck than the smallest one Ford sells :) I'd call this proof of capability for occasional use, which is fine for a compact. 

I agree completely. I just thought it was a silly claim that a truck with a 1500lb payload would be just fine with the weight centered behind the axle.  1500lbs in the bed like Toms gravel pic makes more sense. Would I do it-probably, but an OEM doesn't usually recommend the dumb stuff I do. 

I did the math after starting to reply-it looks like 1080lbs not 15oolbs if you use 18 sheets of 3/4" at 60lbs each. Still a lot, but maybe not as nose up? Still a neat truck. It has been tempting me. Not being readily available, and the cheap/good MPG option not towing much has made it easier to ignore.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
8/17/22 9:27 p.m.

Perhaps it's a little easier to keep the front end down with the FWD and the weight of the hybrid system.

dps214
dps214 Dork
8/17/22 10:48 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Honestly I think the XLT luxury package is the way to go unless you really want leather. Pretty much all of the meaningful stuff from the lariat plus heated everything and a couple of other nice features, for like 2/3 the price of the lariat.

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 28

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bCBFcJyT9jZDvDngR4djEBeyBoY4cOzCh6nQOcQlq3e0FBBuxe0ISIyfJz1o893F