1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 28
secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/13/22 10:52 p.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

Mustang Club of America. $35 annual online membership gets you access to Ford X-plan. No requirement to be a Crowd Chaser owner to join.

The way I understand it, you have to have a currently active membership & be a member for 90 days minimum before actually paying for/ taking delivery of the vehicle. So if delivery is more than a year away I'll have to renew membership.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
8/14/22 8:07 p.m.

It's hard to tell how small these are until you park them next to something else:

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/14/22 9:46 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

And the funnier part is that the Rivian isn't all that big!

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/14/22 9:49 p.m.
rob_lewis said:
OHSCrifle said:

In reply to rob_lewis :

I would love to get a hybrid Maverick because it's basically a Prius that looks like a truck - but I still chuckle when the home improvement store utility is suggested... Just make sure you get the drywall or plywood cut down to 4x4 sheets.

Actually, a 4x8 sheet will fit in the back with the tailgate down.  Yeah, it hangs over the end, but it is doable.  Granted, you're not taking home 50 of them in the back of a Maverick, but it'd be fine for small loads.  Again, for the average homeowner, it'd haul better than any other hybrid that gets over 30mpg.....

Sorry, not be be overly defensive of them.  Just wanted to point out they're not as useless as people seem to make them out to be.  Full disclosure, I think one would be great for my son, but I'd still need a full size truck for myself to haul projects and stuff home.

-Rob

No need to apologize and you are right that it does have some utility for a few 4x8 sheets. I actually love the Maverick. I think.

In reply to secretariata (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks 

Tom Suddard
8/15/22 9:57 a.m.

Just heard back from Ford... this Maverick is pre-production so I can't buy it.

Sadly, that means this poor little thing is probably going to the crusher before too long. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/15/22 10:31 a.m.

Change the question.  Ask if you can do a long term study?  Like mpgs over 75k miles?  You never own it but it's in your driveway a long time!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/15/22 10:36 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Just heard back from Ford... this Maverick is pre-production so I can't buy it.

Sadly, that means this poor little thing is probably going to the crusher before too long. 

Maybe if someone is lucky, it will go into someones development fleet.  I know 10000% that I would have loved to have such a new vehicle to work with.  The newest vehicle that I got to "keep" was a 2018 when it was 2019.  Which is rather behind for someone that worked in Advanced Powertrain.  

Heck, I asked a few times to get a Ranger that was parked in our structure and not being used to have as a test car.  Nope.  

Crazy.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/15/22 11:22 a.m.

According to google it's within a couple inches, all bigger actually, of my 91 Ranger extra cab. I consider that to be a great size for an every day pickup truck. Most I ever got out of it mileage wise was 23.8 though.

I'm still hoping for an AWD hybrid Maverick though

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/15/22 4:13 p.m.
rob_lewis said:
Granted, you're not taking home 50 of them in the back of a Maverick, but it'd be fine for small loads. 

Here's one with with a bunch in the back, image from the Ford press kit.  Ford says 18 is possible.

If you are carrying more than that (or even remotely close to that I would argue), its probably only a nominal fee to have it delivered.  Its plenty capable for most homeowners.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/15/22 4:17 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
rob_lewis said:
Granted, you're not taking home 50 of them in the back of a Maverick, but it'd be fine for small loads. 

Here's one with with a bunch in the back, image from the Ford press kit.  Ford says 18 is possible.

If you are carrying more than that (or even remotely close to that I would argue), its probably only a nominal fee to have it delivered.  Its plenty capable for most homeowners.

I put 22 4x9 7/16th OSB sheets in the back of my k1500. Lumber yard said it was just under 1100 lbs. Steering was .....light.

If the Maverick can do 18 sheets it's fairly impressive 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/15/22 4:19 p.m.

Its rated for 1500lbs

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
8/15/22 11:18 p.m.

It looks like about 2/3 of each sheet is behind the rear axle. The nose will probably be a bit light with that 1500lb payload. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/15/22 11:47 p.m.

My dream version would be AWD hybrid with 2 doors and space behind the seats. So the bed ends up being somewhere between 70 and 78 inches for significantly enhanced usability, but I can still recline the seats and have dry storage for some stuff. With my only son about to leave for college, I'd rather have bed space than room for additional adults.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
8/16/22 8:54 a.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

Yours and everyone else's.

The common "I wish" configuration is a plug-in hybrid (larger battery) with an electric AWD system (functionally the Mach-e front end motor in the back of the Maverick.)

Tuning aside, mostly parts bin work.  And the Maverick hybrid already has the larger battery space set-up under the rear seats.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/16/22 9:06 a.m.

AWD hybrid, yes.  Everyone seems to want that.

I doubt the 2 door cab is a want for most.  Ford went with a 4 door for a reason.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
8/16/22 9:06 a.m.

If I had to choose, I'd take the long bed with the FWD and the low price over AWD or the plug-in.

My son's shopping for an Apple for school. You can get one with relatively low memory for about $900, and if you want significant memory it doubles in price. That's kinda Ford's strategy, at least where I live. They sell a stripped down model that represents a real value, but as soon as you want some stuff on it, you're paying another $12K, and it's still desireable, but not as good a value.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/16/22 9:25 a.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

If I had to choose, I'd take the long bed with the FWD and the low price over AWD or the plug-in.

My son's shopping for an Apple for school. You can get one with relatively low memory for about $900, and if you want significant memory it doubles in price. That's kinda Ford's strategy, at least where I live. They sell a stripped down model that represents a real value, but as soon as you want some stuff on it, you're paying another $12K, and it's still desireable, but not as good a value.

I totally agree.  

To me, the base model is an incredible value.  I suspect if they add AWD to the hybrid, its going to only be available with <insert expensive packages> and cost 50% more than the base truck.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/16/22 9:30 a.m.

My only wish would be one at MSRP that wouldn't take forever to get here. I drove a FWD Ecoboost yesterday and really liked it. I don't care about the mileage as much as AWD. 

For those looking at X-plan, I wouldn't worry about it. It's not worth it. I can't share the pricing difference but it's about a single grocery trip for a family of 4. 

dps214
dps214 Dork
8/16/22 9:34 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

AWD hybrid, yes.  Everyone seems to want that.

I doubt the 2 door cab is a want for most.  Ford went with a 4 door for a reason.

I think there's a few reasons involved. Crew cab is probably the most popular option yes. But unlike traditional trucks where changing configurations just means bolting different parts onto the frame and maybe adding or subtracting a few inches from a relatively simple frame, doing it here would require engineering a completely new unibody. I also wouldn't be surprised if the short cab/long bed version just isn't physically possible, at least at a reasonable price point without using super exotic materials. Short cab/short bed and shorter overall length is probably much more possible and I'd still take that because it would fit in my garage easier at least, but I'm probably about the only one interested in that layout.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
8/16/22 9:50 a.m.
bmw88rider said:

For those looking at X-plan, I wouldn't worry about it. It's not worth it. I can't share the pricing difference but it's about a single grocery trip for a family of 4. 

In normal times I'd agree.  I would assume the main benefit right now would be bypassing dealer pricing shenanigans.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/16/22 9:57 a.m.
bmw88rider said:

It's still saving money, and it takes hardly any effort if you have access to it.  Let alone that all of the discounts that dealers used to give you a better deal (when negotiating) all apply right off the bat.  There's no negotiation.  

When you do it, you should get an invoice with the MSRP, A-plan, and X-plan all listed on it.  Having done it many times, I'm not sure I would consider the discount a trip to the grocery store.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
8/16/22 10:03 a.m.

In reply to dps214 :

You are probably right about the unibody. There's a bunch of benefits to that configuration, but flexibility ain't one of them. 

As for the short cab/short bed, It's probably be too much of an oddball to make production, but I'll never forget that one of my favorite vehicles ever was a short bed, single cab Toyota SR5 with the V6.  

dps214
dps214 Dork
8/16/22 10:05 a.m.

The actual MSRP discount is like $150 iirc. But as mentioned a while ago it also limits dealer fees, which could easily be an extra few hundred or more in savings. Neither of those are going to be deal makers or breakers, but if you have access to it for free or nearly free, there's no reason not to use it.

Tom Suddard
8/16/22 10:12 a.m.

I've used the pickup bed! It's small but plenty useful. Lots of tie/down points, too. I put the tailgate in the halfway position because I was out of ratchet straps and wanted some extra insurance the tent frame would stay.

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
8/16/22 6:07 p.m.

Well, you can tell Ford that your experience with the Maverick and your forum are going to lead to a sale. I just started to look for a truck for my brother who doesn't need a Truck anymore. My first thought was to avoid the CVT because, well, its a CVT... I learned here that I like this CVT. Maybe they need a different name for it.

The main thing we are looking for is the ability to haul a couple sheets of plywood or drywall and tow a small riding mower around town once in a while.

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 28

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3GQ5LVGa4z8BMARi0ad4nuq9ImEWJycqGdVXQDmnkpW3hVaUrgxpkGN3LtTHl5Zy