1 2 3 4 5 6
solfly
solfly Reader
5/13/14 10:18 a.m.

del sol

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
5/13/14 11:15 a.m.
Petrolburner wrote: Don't give us all the bullE36 M3 inbetween. I hate inbetweeners.

I dunno, inbetweeners make stupid, exciting automobiles more affordable in the new market. That's the point of hot hatches I suppose. Too much FWD hate, I'll wave when I pass you in my fwd econo-box on the track; it loves to eat miatas. Nom nom nom.

And don't get me wrong, these would all be cool in that guise (RWD/AWD), but then Honda/etc would be bankrupt by terrible marketing decisions....

thestig99
thestig99 HalfDork
5/13/14 11:24 a.m.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
5/13/14 11:45 a.m.
accordionfolder wrote:
Petrolburner wrote: Don't give us all the bullE36 M3 inbetween. I hate inbetweeners.
I dunno, inbetweeners make stupid, exciting automobiles more affordable in the new market. That's the point of hot hatches I suppose. Too much FWD hate, I'll wave when I pass you in my fwd econo-box on the track; it loves to eat miatas. Nom nom nom. And don't get me wrong, these would all be cool in that guise (RWD/AWD), but then Honda/etc would be bankrupt by terrible marketing decisions....

I should not post after drinking. Choices along the price/excitability scale are good.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
5/13/14 12:02 p.m.
So can someone suggest a FWD car that is better for being a front wheel drive car rather than a rear wheel drive car?

That would be a LOOOONG list. It's not like the world went to fwd for no reason. People forget that RWD is heavier, bulkier, and lossier than FWD and the less space, power, and gas money you have, the more it matters.

I had an avenger at one time, repainted viper red with some nice enkei 18s. That was a fantastic looking car in its day. I've always felt Dodge basically threw away a model that could have been 2nd only to the Viper in brand image-boosting if they had put a decent powertrain it. They had a 200hp 3.0 version of the 2.5 v6, and they could have just as easily made it a 200hp AWD car like the rest of the 2g dsms. Or, if it had been RWD, it would have probably altered the course of recent history. That car had everything going for it but actual performance. Stupid, stupid dodge.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
5/13/14 12:12 p.m.

Kugel components actually made a conversion kit for the Focus that made it V8 power RWD.

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/racing/0506_ford_focus_v8/conclusion.html

Not all roses.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
5/13/14 12:22 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: Kugel components actually made a conversion kit for the Focus that made it V8 power RWD. http://www.automobilemag.com/features/racing/0506_ford_focus_v8/conclusion.html Not all roses.

I think they missed 'our' mark, but probably hit on the drag racing crowd. If I had to direct this product development, it would have been a 4 cylinder Duratec, ranger 5 speed and a 7.5" IRS. Keep the factory computer and everything.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
5/13/14 12:50 p.m.

Altima Coupe:

Decent enough looking car but needs to be RWD to compete.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
5/13/14 3:52 p.m.

I always thought the AE92 sport body "looked" rwd... and would have done it well

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
5/13/14 4:25 p.m.

Diamond star triplets. I loved my 90 laser but wished it was rwd from day one.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
5/13/14 4:26 p.m.

Ford SHO, Suzuki Swift, Nissan SE-R, Cadillac Allante...

AverageH
AverageH Reader
5/13/14 8:31 p.m.

The newer VW Beetle. I understand the packaging, but it would have been cool to get closer to its roots and keep it rear engined and rwd. I've never driven a newer Beetle though, so I can't how well it may drive.

-Hamid

dropstep
dropstep New Reader
5/13/14 10:10 p.m.

The omni, after riding in a turbo swapped front wheel drive one i think it would be a blast in rwd, but i also like chevettes and pintos!

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
5/14/14 12:56 a.m.
AverageH wrote: The newer VW Beetle. I understand the packaging, but it would have been cool to get closer to its roots and keep it rear engined and rwd. I've never driven a newer Beetle though, so I can't how well it may drive. -Hamid

This one is a must for me, I won't consider any of the new beetles (I'm probably not their target audience anywho). What's the point if it's not a quirky RWD car.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
5/14/14 7:26 a.m.
JFX001 wrote: Ford SHO, Suzuki Swift, Nissan SE-R, Cadillac Allante...

I don't get the Swift, it seems the perfect ultra light little hot hatch, why RWD for that, seems perfect for FWD

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
5/14/14 7:31 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
I don't get the Swift, it seems the perfect ultra light little hot hatch, why RWD for that, seems perfect for FWD

Oh.... let me count the ways.... Horrible suspension geometry, terrible weight distribution, terrible gear ratios, a chassis as stiff as a wet noodle. I think those are a pretty good start.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
5/14/14 7:45 a.m.

I fully plan on never owning a FWD car again. IMO there is not enough hate for FWD. I despise them.

fujioko
fujioko Reader
5/14/14 7:54 a.m.

The "new" beetle not only should be RWD, it should have the engine in the back. No excuses.

While we are here, the Fiat 500 also needs to be rear engined just like the original.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
5/14/14 8:14 a.m.
nicksta43 wrote: I fully plan on never owning a FWD car again. IMO there is not enough hate for FWD. I despise them.

Good for you. IMO, life's too short to waste it on hate, so I find decent FWD cars that are fund to drive/reliable and cheap so I can have more fun. But you go on with your hateful self!

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
5/14/14 8:19 a.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

Sometimes hate is the only thing left to cling on to in life

Every single car in this thread would be better in RWD. Because RWD is better

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
5/14/14 8:25 a.m.

There's been turds in RWD too. Chevettes, C3's, MustangII's, Pony's..... I like both. I like driving both, they just present different challenges.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/14/14 8:32 a.m.
dculberson wrote: Altima Coupe: Decent enough looking car but needs to be RWD to compete.

I agree with this one...

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
5/14/14 8:35 a.m.

Oh I know, I'm not good at driving FWD. So I've decided to not waste what little bit of time I have left on this earth driving the horrible wretched things.

Except for small hatchbacks, I do like the idea of small hatchbacks. Yugo, Abarth 500 and a whole bunch of European cars we never got. Guess that's hypocritical...I amend my previous statements...

I hope to never own another FWD car that does not come from Europe!

There, that's better

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
5/14/14 8:44 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Oh.... let me count the ways.... Horrible suspension geometry, terrible weight distribution, terrible gear ratios, a chassis as stiff as a wet noodle. I think those are a pretty good start.

Almost none of which would have been fixed by being RWD! Most of those are due to being an econobox, not being FWD.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
5/14/14 8:46 a.m.
NGTD wrote:
Bobzilla wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Almost none of which would have been fixed by being RWD! Most of those are due to being an econobox, not being FWD.

While I would generally agree..... this seems to say going RWD fixed EVERYTHING. http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=9156

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GDRpPILkJIvPq7YhqSxVmUGPTZlkSK4dQPKCJKSkrai53eMNgwvouX0qoadK5fpY