1 2 3 4
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
4/23/21 10:10 a.m.

A friend just asked to buy my daily driver, and I'm seriously entertaining the idea. Why? Because I'm bored with it and I've always wanted a Honda Fit.

One problem: I know nothing about them. Are there years/options/trims to seek out or avoid? Any common trouble spots? And can I get a decent one with a stick for somewhere around $5000?

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
4/23/21 10:20 a.m.

Hands down 2nd gen. 

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
4/23/21 10:22 a.m.

2nd gen and add rear sway bar. Done.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/23/21 10:41 a.m.

Bought my Daughter one 6 years ago, it's been a tank.  She's killed a few cars but not this one. (hope i'm not jinxing it)  It's an 07 sport with the auto.  Only issue i've noticed is the hatch struts are a bit difficult to R & R, but that's all i got.  Even with the auto it's a pretty peppy car around town, and I think the auto doesn't have the 5th gear buzz on the highway.  

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
4/23/21 10:48 a.m.

2nd gen for sure.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
4/23/21 11:14 a.m.

I can speak from experience for both the 2nd and 3rd gen. I'll rattle off what I know:

The 2nd gen was 2012 model, and the only thing I really had an issue with was the A/C would stop being effective during longer drives. The problem came from the fact that the condenser made a great debris catcher since it was mounted so low. Besides that, you'll likely scrape up the bottom of the bumper if you go for the Sport model thanks to a longer overhang than the "base" model.

The 3rd gen (I have a 2015 model, the first year of the 3rd gen) feels more modern, though the addition of a 6th gear doesn't really help at higher speeds, as you'll still be running nearly 3000 rpm at 70+ mph. 

The rear "magic seats" are pretty useful, especially when you need to fold the seat bottoms up.

Both cars suffer from a very small fuel tank. When I commuted every day to and from the office (about an hour drive one-way), I found myself filling up every few days.

I'll add a caveat that both my Fits were automatic, but I've been told they are a blast with the manual.

Aftermarket isn't the biggest, but there are some go-fast bits from places like Spoon.

Also, I know Tom O'Gorman has some experience with the Fit, and he might be able to point you in the right direction.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/23/21 11:26 a.m.

There are still Fit HPD rally suspension kits floating around, I ask that it becomes a rallycross project car. 

Do it

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/21 11:28 a.m.

My Dad had a 2009 Fit Sport 5 speed, and I absolutely loved that thing. I would have bought it from him in a heartbeat if my sister didn't need a reliable car so badly at the time.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/21 11:33 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Want me to write a buyers-guide? 

Seriously though, as everyone else has recommended get a 2nd gen. As far as what to watch out for:

• If you drive it & hear rattles from the back hatch area, negotiate down the price, then when you get it home, pull up on the rear seat latches & shove them the additional ~1" back to where they're supposed to be.
  • The only manual Fit I've driven had a vague, rubbery shifter(which was also like the only other Honda manual I'd driven). No clue if there are aftermarket fixes for it. 
  • The valves need periodic adjustment(I don't remember the interval offhand).
  • Don't be surprised to find missing plastic trim, especially around the windshield. Last I knew replacement parts were available. 
  • The rear hatch handle pivot pins can wear/break causing the latch to get stuck, which can cause problems if you lock the doors while it's in that position. Replacements were available last I knew. 
  • The factory head unit isn't going to support any modern phones, but I'm sure there are aftermarket ones that will. 
  • The fabric trim at the top of the door panels in our 09 got kinda sticky with age. The ones in the 09 I helped my son-in-law this spring weren't sticky though.
  • Our 09 saw 4-years of midwest winter use & still doesn't have any rust problems. They may be the only Honda you can say that about?
  • Mechanically, other than consumables & maintenance, there isn't really anything to worry about. 
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/23/21 11:47 a.m.

They should buy the Kia badged one ;)

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
4/23/21 12:25 p.m.

Why gen 2 over the Gen 1?  

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
4/23/21 12:34 p.m.

Having owned two, I'll say "watch out" for the short wheelbase throttle lift. Especially if tc/SC is disabled. Think CRX levels of "there it goes and there's no recovery". On a gravel road, at a leisure pace, I could loop it with full throttle lift and sharp turn in, if not expecting it. That feature also made it a hoot on backroads. 

Erich
Erich UberDork
4/23/21 12:41 p.m.

I don't know why gen 2 over gen 1 either. Age? 

We had a 2008 (1st gen) for a decade and it was a total tank. We did have to replace the hatch handle at one point, an O2 sensor, spark plugs, and that's all. It never rusted at all, which is rare in Michigan with a driver who never once washed it. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/21 12:49 p.m.

1st generation had a manufacturing defect in the taillight area of the shell that would let water in.

I would prefer a 1st generation for looks and a 3rd generation for performance.  They're all good cars, though.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/23/21 1:34 p.m.

2nd gen headrests didn't need to be removed to engage magic mode on the rear seat, unlike the 1st gen.

I had a base 09. Still lots of easily scraped front overhang. My only complaint was I went through two locksets in less than 100k miles. Might've been a first year thing. 

Mine was a stick-consistently 10 mpg up on a buddy's 10 Sport auto (non paddle shift dissapointment device).

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
4/23/21 1:54 p.m.
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) said:

2nd gen headrests didn't need to be removed to engage magic mode on the rear seat, unlike the 1st gen.

I still don't understand why more vehicles don't use that (2nd gen) style of headrests that next on the rear seats. In addition to not having to remove them to fold the seats, it also makes the mirror view out the rear soo much better.

Tom Suddard
4/23/21 2:09 p.m.

Darn, I was hoping everybody would tell me "Those are horrible! Don't do it!"

The potential Nissan Leaf buyer just backed out (wife said he couldn't buy an electric car...) so that gives me plenty of time to shop Fits and find a nice one. And if anybody wants to buy a nice Leaf, my email is tom@ this website. wink

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/23/21 2:10 p.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

I like having tall rear headrests to block the landing lights of the truck behind me.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/23/21 2:29 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Darn, I was hoping everybody would tell me "Those are horrible! Don't do it!"

The potential Nissan Leaf buyer just backed out (wife said he couldn't buy an electric car...) so that gives me plenty of time to shop Fits and find a nice one. And if anybody wants to buy a nice Leaf, my email is tom@ this website. wink

That's a weird wife. When I turned my 1st gen Leaf in, my wife said "That won't be the last electric car we have."

When I bought the Bolt, the Fit and the 3 were on the menu. The 3 ended up being more $/mile, and the Fit would be better due to better buy-in, but they don't have long legs and I need that.

So I guess I am saying the best Fit to buy is a Chevy Bolt.

Tom Suddard
4/23/21 2:39 p.m.

Yeah, welcome to Florida I guess. Electric cars are still just an abstract concept to be feared here.

Yeah, I know the Bolt is better and the M3 is cooler, but with how quickly electric cars are improving I've decided now isn't the time to get a car payment on one. I could have fun with the Fit for a few years until I get bored again, then get the Model 3 that actually drives itself or something like that.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/23/21 3:05 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Yeah, welcome to Florida I guess. Electric cars are still just an abstract concept to be feared here.

Yeah, I know the Bolt is better and the M3 is cooler, but with how quickly electric cars are improving I've decided now isn't the time to get a car payment on one. I could have fun with the Fit for a few years until I get bored again, then get the Model 3 that actually drives itself or something like that.

That's likely true. There's been a plateau of sorts in range for a while. The Model 3 was faster when it came out, but the Bolts roughly been the bogie for range on sub $40K cars since 2017. It's probably due for a step change.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/23/21 3:06 p.m.

Do all the Fits have the million cup holders that the 2nd gen does? Because the dash cup holders alone are enough to make me want another one. Probalby the finest road trip car I've ever had. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
4/23/21 3:20 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

The third-gen still has a good amount of cup holders, but they got rid of the two glove compartments from the second-gen.

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/23/21 4:48 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Do all the Fits have the million cup holders that the 2nd gen does? Because the dash cup holders alone are enough to make me want another one. Probalby the finest road trip car I've ever had. 

1st gen do not.  None on the dash, anyway.

The left side dash cupholder in the 2nd gen is brilliant.

(in before someone complains that this is Grassroots Motorsports not Better Homes and Cupholders)

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/23/21 5:04 p.m.

I consider my Mazda5 to be a Fit that grew up, but I do really miss the dashboard cup holders from my second gen Fit, too.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mgkMVuexQKyFYZGWqMMmMi9x7IX313Y797OHx2FnYYgavKdrnmHb8IAcNn6Y8RkQ