singledownloop
singledownloop Reader
9/8/17 11:25 p.m.

Thinking about scrounging parts to supercharge my volvo 1.8l 4 cylinder.I've read you can't run gas from a carb through the eatons because the teflon on the rotors won't hold up.I recently found this pictured kit from Moss motors using a M-45 eaton with a carb.It's for a mgb 4 cylinder.Moss is a highly regarded parts supplier in the mg world.Looking for opinions,thanks.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/8/17 11:29 p.m.

I've always heard the opposite.

the older blowers needed fuel run through them to keep the seals lubricated and the newer ones don't due to the teflon seals.

If it's a valid concern, you could always run it as a blow through with a sealed carb box or a modified carb.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
9/9/17 12:32 a.m.

That doesn't make much sense, teflon is more or less inert in something as benign as warm gasoline. 

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
9/9/17 9:14 a.m.

Moss has sold that supercharger kit for quite a while, I haven't heard anyone have problems with them related to the teflon.

Edelblock sells superchargers based on the Eaton Gen VI 2300 TVS, which have carburetors above the unit.  Supercharger

So, I wouldn't worry about running gas through them, it would take quite a bit of gasoline going through it to begin to affect the teflon.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
9/10/17 1:05 p.m.

Junk supercharger/turbo builds almost always come to a bad end. Either unsuitable parts, shortfall of follow through, or cars sidelined for years waiting for owner inspiration or due to big time blow up.   Much better to buy a new kit if one exists and if budget allows.

If you do go this way, spend the loot to get the unit serviced - many need seals and or bearings.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1SzKoxbn4Hze0dL4a4pANivQYr3E2vbBtTc4sP5pgbP5r3Q8f1zE0ZnHxvsrM7tu