1 2 3
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/9/21 8:44 a.m.
feature_image

Most of the cars in our scene have some sort of connection to motorsports–from autocrossing to endurance racing and everything in between.

But what about cars outside of that niche? Are there vehicles that didn’t compete but, given the proper opportunity, maybe should have? 

Read the rest of the story

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/9/21 10:24 a.m.

Hyundais.

All of them.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
9/9/21 10:31 a.m.

Jeep built the Compass as a "Rally car inspired" crossover SUV.

It used the same platform as the Mitsubishi Lancer.

And an engine that shared a block and head with the Caliber SRT4.

I'm sure you see where this is going; why didn't the management at Jeep?

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/9/21 10:46 a.m.

Being currently in the market for a challenged price winter car, I'd love some elaboration on those top two suggestions

Colin Wood
9/9/21 10:47 a.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

Does that mean, at least in theory, that you could you could make a EVO X-powered Jeep Compass, since it's the same platform?

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
9/9/21 11:04 a.m.

I feel like the V6 Accord has at least as much motorsports potential as the Civics that are more commonly used.  I've also seen a guy with a more or less stock Acura RLX at the track and it was damned fast.

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/9/21 11:10 a.m.

Everything with a 300HP V6 in it.

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
9/9/21 11:13 a.m.

V6 Camry..............it's got a great engine but zero suspension parts.

burdickjp
burdickjp GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/9/21 11:21 a.m.

The ZZE123 Corolla XRS is a great stock autocross car. It's geared well, has great turn in, and responds well to left-foot braking.

Colin Wood
9/9/21 11:29 a.m.

In reply to obsolete :

Good point. V6s can be pretty potent, especially in a car with some added weight savings.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/9/21 11:52 a.m.
Tom1200 said:

V6 Camry..............it's got a great engine but zero suspension parts.

You would think so, but Toyota Avalon (long Camry) got 4th in autocross at last year's $2000 Challenge with nothing but a spring chop and lots of tire. And some weight reduction. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/21 11:54 a.m.

When looking at motorsports potential power output is the last of my concerns, as it's the most easily remedied. Suspension geometry, travel, weight and gearing are all more prohibitive to correct. 

B spec racing didn't take off as much as it should have. Mazda 2s and Honda Fits should've been utilized across multiple disciplines. The companies should've co-branded in promoting the competition against one another and embraced it as "the future of/ the new JDM" to keep a vehicle segment that WAS cool alive within the US. Strangely enough, it was "uncool" Toyota who "got it" and developed the ultra spicy Yaris GR, but after the Yaris was planned to be pulled from our shores. Yes the GR is a homologation special, which means they didn't do it to spice up the segment, but they still made a sub $50k halo car. It's what the segment has a whole deserved and would have had young people considering non-GR spec cars within the segment to start doing fun things with. 

2WD standard can short bed pickups with manual transmissions are my other suggestion. They're simply a great learning toy with regards to driving and chassis dynamics. They're generally easy to work on and you can haul your wheels, tools and tires to events with ease. 

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/9/21 1:11 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

Jeep built the Compass as a "Rally car inspired" crossover SUV.

It used the same platform as the Mitsubishi Lancer.

And an engine that shared a block and head with the Caliber SRT4.

I'm sure you see where this is going; why didn't the management at Jeep?

Are you saying that it is able to perform in its current state or that they missed the opportunity to boost it, etc.?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
9/9/21 1:26 p.m.
P3PPY said:

Are you saying that it is able to perform in its current state or that they missed the opportunity to boost it, etc.?

They missed the opportunity to jump past building a rally car inspired Jeep and build an actual rally car Jeep. I'm not aware of anyone who has built an EVO-Compass hybrid, but they supposedly even have the same engine block.

If I had way too much time on my hands, a badly running Compass, and a wrecked Lancer, I'd be tempted to see just what it would take. Uh-oh...

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
9/9/21 1:31 p.m.

As the resident XJ apologist

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
9/9/21 1:39 p.m.

Jaguars according to one insane human being around these parts.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/21 1:41 p.m.

The Mercedes 450 SL, apparently...

Didn't the GRM crew try to prove that a V6 Camry could make a good race car, only to suffer serial engine failures? I can't find the threads with the failures themselves, just a suspicious disappearance of the car...

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1999-toyota-camry/ 

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/grm-project-1999-toyota-camry-proving-that-you-can/54899/page1/ (in which it is referred to as "ill-fated" by Joe)

A lot of what makes the Evo special though isn't just the output from the engine, it's the techno wizardry of the all-wheel drive system that would be lacking in the compass. If you're going to do a weird chaotic Evo hybrid and early Elantra that shares the block with the 4G63 is the way to go. Head, manifolds, fueling and ECU and you're done. 

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Like a lot of modern things, V6 Camrys' are not a fan of sustained lateral load with regards to oil pressure. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/21 1:46 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The Mercedes 450 SL, apparently...

Didn't the GRM crew try to prove that a V6 Camry could make a good race car, only to suffer serial engine failures? I can't find the threads with the failures themselves, just a suspicious disappearance of the car...

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1999-toyota-camry/ 

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/grm-project-1999-toyota-camry-proving-that-you-can/54899/page1/ (in which it is referred to as "ill-fated" by Joe)

I was gonna make the same 450sl joke. 

But my real answer to this question is that I feel most of the small CUVs could actually make great rallyx cars lowered a little. Lowered a lot they might make great autox cars. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/21 2:01 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Like a lot of modern things, V6 Camrys' are not a fan of sustained lateral load with regards to oil pressure. 

This was attempted. IIRC it was not enough.

A lot of small CUVs are just lifted hatchbacks, so un-lifting them will make them back into hatchbacks with a tall body :) But the rallycross idea is good, because what you need there is a lifted hatchback.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/9/21 2:02 p.m.
Colin Wood said:
feature_image

Most of the cars in our scene have some sort of connection to motorsports–from autocrossing to endurance racing and everything in between.

But what about cars outside of that niche? Are there vehicles that didn’t compete but, given the proper opportunity, maybe should have? 

Read the rest of the story

TBH, that Juke NISMO thing is just a Manual AWD transmission away from being a legend.  I almost tried to buy one but the Manual is FWD only (if you could find one), and i'm CVT-averse.  On paper it was a tall WRX, except for the CVT.  Nissan let me down sad

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/9/21 2:08 p.m.

I just checked and that generation compass has a CVT, i think an SRT4 engine transplant would most likely kill it.  I'm just not sold on the durability of JATCO CVT boxes..

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/9/21 2:10 p.m.

Just you wait!

Junghole
Junghole SuperDork
9/9/21 2:13 p.m.

The crosstrek is a strong contender here. Awd, lifted already for rallycross, and a few folks have lowered them, and all parts interchange with the wrx for suspension. Bonus: manual version was a 50:50 viscous coupling. You can get an early 2013 for cheapish dollars. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Xo58ZYxUusxhlGiibPpUyFmJifm4P5CxKSvq3oWYqdGTnknIXWAIFsyjzSsZhVJK