1 2 3
buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
9/9/21 2:31 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

If you're going to do a weird chaotic Evo hybrid and early Elantra that shares the block with the 4G63 is the way to go. Head, manifolds, fueling and ECU and you're done. 

One of my favorite cartubers has a long series documenting just that.

4G63 Nerd Videos here

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/21 2:37 p.m.
Junghole said:

The crosstrek is a strong contender here. Awd, lifted already for rallycross, and a few folks have lowered them, and all parts interchange with the wrx for suspension. Bonus: manual version was a 50:50 viscous coupling. You can get an early 2013 for cheapish dollars. 

Why would you want to LIFT a car for rallycross?  Imprezas don't flip over easily enough?

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
9/9/21 2:39 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
But the rallycross idea is good, because what you need there is a lifted hatchback.

I dont normally argue with you when it comes to motorsports stuff because you know a lot more than I do, but I had to chime in on this. A lift kit will not make you faster at rallycross. The key to being fast at rallyx is the ability to change direction quickly, small and light is the name of the game.

If I were going to do an all out rx build i would take the drivetrain from a CRV with a K24, manual trans, and awd and graft it into something like a del sol, Crx, or civic at stock height.

Edit; I see Pete and I were thinking the same thing at the same time.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
9/9/21 2:43 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:
P3PPY said:

Are you saying that it is able to perform in its current state or that they missed the opportunity to boost it, etc.?

They missed the opportunity to jump past building a rally car inspired Jeep and build an actual rally car Jeep. I'm not aware of anyone who has built an EVO-Compass hybrid, but they supposedly even have the same engine block.

If I had way too much time on my hands, a badly running Compass, and a wrecked Lancer, I'd be tempted to see just what it would take. Uh-oh...

Doesn't the compass share a platform with the caliber?

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/9/21 2:46 p.m.

In reply to minivan_racer :

Caliber, Patriot, Mitsu Lancer and Outlander.  Technically you could place an EVO X drivetrain under one i believe.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
9/9/21 2:46 p.m.

I think our rallycross courses are a little rougher than the ones you guys run, but lifting my Metro/Swift was the single most effective mod I made to that car. It wasn't a big lift, only springs from the next gen, but it was 30-40 mm

Mrs. P's Sonic handles quite well, and is a turbo upgrade away from an easy 300 hp

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/9/21 2:57 p.m.

In reply to 06HHR (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah I really feel like if they paired anything else besides a CVT with the all-wheel-drive it would really have been a contender. It stings, too, knowing that Europe gets a second-gen Juke that's based on the Clio, and can be had with a six-speed manual or a seven-speed DCT.

Of course, it's worth noting that I'm in the minority that's partial to te Juke–I just think it's neat.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/21 2:59 p.m.

My only exposure to rallyx is from one mudpit experience as part of a rally driving school and seeing pictures of what you nutjobs do. It was my understanding that ground clearance was useful, although not necessarily huge amounts of it. It's possible this is very course-dependent. I can tell you the rental Hyundai I was using in the mud was dragging its belly.

So I will happily bow to the expertise of others.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/9/21 3:14 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Hyundais.

All of them.

~250hp, 3500lbs, manu-matic 5spd, double wishbone front and multi-link rear.

unfortunately, the camber-giving SPC balljoints screw up effective length of the upright, putting the upper arm well outside its design range... and that's before you attempt to lower it.  Also, the 2.4 with a 5spd is a semi-open deck version of the 4g-something or other, and shares some dna with the 2.0t in the Veloster N, and....

the next gen Sonata/Optima...

275hp 2.0t, 6spd manu-matic, 3350lbs and McPherson front, with larger brakes...

dunno if it fits here, though, because it did do some motorsporting...

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/9/21 4:00 p.m.

The potential remains unrecognized... 

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
9/9/21 4:34 p.m.

Behold the mighty Rondo

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/21 4:39 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

My only exposure to rallyx is from one mudpit experience as part of a rally driving school and seeing pictures of what you nutjobs do. It was my understanding that ground clearance was useful, although not necessarily huge amounts of it. It's possible this is very course-dependent. I can tell you the rental Hyundai I was using in the mud was dragging its belly.

So I will happily bow to the expertise of others.

At the last rallycross I was at, I was using 3rd gear and there was a lot of tire squeal... More like an autocross with a lot of marbles.  Stupid fun.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/9/21 5:14 p.m.
John Welsh said:

The potential remains unrecognized... 

baffled pan, or accusump?

Rigante
Rigante New Reader
9/10/21 4:07 a.m.

pretty sure a nissan Juke is a Renault Megane platform. The Megane RS has  300bhp stock

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
9/10/21 7:12 a.m.
06HHR (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

I just checked and that generation compass has a CVT, i think an SRT4 engine transplant would most likely kill it.  I'm just not sold on the durability of JATCO CVT boxes..

Naturally, you'd swap the EVO's gearbox and locking or limited slip diffs with the motor (or the Caliber SRT-4's motor) and electronics.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/10/21 7:22 a.m.

5th-gen Nissan Maxima. They had the punchy FWD VQ35, could be had with both a manual transmission and a helical LSD and aren't terribly heavy. My friend had one as an autocross car, nicknamed Mad Maxima, that he ran in Street Touring and it was a pretty capable machine.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/10/21 8:12 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

But my real answer to this question is that I feel most of the small CUVs could actually make great rallyx cars lowered a little. Lowered a lot they might make great autox cars. 

Disagree.  Most are strut cars and would be all over the bumpstops if you lowered them much (and still very high rollover risk).  Subarus are the exception because they actually use longer bodied strut assemblies on the taller stuff, so you can swap to the lower stuff without sacrificing bump travel.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/10/21 8:18 a.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:
Appleseed said:

Hyundais.

All of them.

~250hp, 3500lbs, manu-matic 5spd, double wishbone front and multi-link rear.

unfortunately, the camber-giving SPC balljoints screw up effective length of the upright, putting the upper arm well outside its design range... and that's before you attempt to lower it.  Also, the 2.4 with a 5spd is a semi-open deck version of the 4g-something or other, and shares some dna with the 2.0t in the Veloster N, and....

The other ones pictured are just as 'meh' as a Camry.  

A 2.4L Mitsubishi, 5 spd and double wishbones actually has some potential, although mostly in drag racing.  This one made over 500whp on stock internals, using some off the shelf Evo parts:

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/10/21 8:25 a.m.

Ive never driven one but:

The scion ia has a 6 speed, 15" 4x100 wheels, uses a Mazda 2 chassis, can be had under 2400lbs and meets height vs. track rollover regulations.  I think it would be perfect for a low power spec series.  ~1.5" drop on some stiffer springs, 15x8/205 combo, intake and exhaust ish.

undefined

j_tso
j_tso Reader
9/10/21 8:51 a.m.

I watched it race at COTA around 2014. Qualifying on Saturday was in the dry and the Optima was midpack with a Mustang, Camaro, and Aston Martin in the front row. Then the race on Sunday was wet and the Optima stormed through the field into 2nd. If the race was a lap or two longer it would have won. Kia should've used footage of it overtaking Mustangs for commercials.

sleepyhead the buffalo said:

dunno if it fits here, though, because it did do some motorsporting...

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/10/21 9:59 a.m.

The 2005-2010 Toyota Yaris. Short wheelbase, non-existent front and rear overhangs, 2400lbs at its heaviest and can be had quite a bit cheaper than a Fit of the same year and mileage. The ~110hp 1NZ-FE isn't a powerhouse but its not awful and its tough, the 5-speed shifts pretty good. TRD made rear sway bars, lowering springs, better shocks, exhaust, you can bolt on Corolla front brakes for easy bigger brakes. There are turbo and blower kits and LSDs available. It has 4x100 bolt pattern and runs the same offsets and center bores as Miatas. It can swallow a spare set of wheels and tires inside pretty easy. They're damn reliable. And yet you don't see them autocrossing or out on track all that often (I've only ever seen mine at autocrosses, and I know of one team endurance racing one) . We ran mine at Pineview Run on 140k mile stock suspension and 205/50R15 Continental ECS and it threw down some surprisingly good lap times. I've since added the TRD springs and Tokico HP shocks and I'm on the fence about eventually purchasing an exhaust for it.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/21 10:11 a.m.

I'm going to say "any car that there are a lot of". Because that means spec racing.

Like the Nissan Micra Cup. Cheapest car for sale in Canada. And this sure looks like motorsportin' to me.

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/10/21 10:27 a.m.
Junghole said:

The crosstrek is a strong contender here. Awd, lifted already for rallycross, and a few folks have lowered them, and all parts interchange with the wrx for suspension. Bonus: manual version was a 50:50 viscous coupling. You can get an early 2013 for cheapish dollars. 

And Rocket Rally has a Crosstrek competition package for details you have to contact them.

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/10/21 10:29 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

The Micra has been cancelled, and the the replacement is a Sentra Cup.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/10/21 10:39 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

That's kind of what I was getting at with mine. A Yaris Cup could be really fun.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7VCzEBnePaIlyxcW4ilBudxPXbC516kAwulj7bvIaNThFgWNz6oWni2KhA49awjs