t25torx
t25torx Dork
8/27/14 8:02 a.m.

Thread from 2014

So I'm getting to be know as the "car guy" here at work and have been approached to work on some co-workers vehicles. I don't mind since I like the extra income, but I'm starting to get to the point where I need a better scan tool solution than the $80 Harbor Freight unit I have. Case in point. Co-workers wife has a 2004 4Runner, the master cylinder is bad. The local stealership wants about $3500 to replace it. The part is about $1700-$1800 at an OEM online retailer. Since this unit is an all in one ABS pump/booster/master cylinder, the book calls for the Toyota scan tool to put the ABS into "Bleed Mode". I'm sure as I work on more cars I'll keep running across stuff like this where my HF scan tool is no use. So what should I get? The Snap-On Solus? Is there a PC/USB solution available? I don't mind spending the money since it'll pay for itself in the work it lets me do, but I don't want to waste money if there's a cheaper solution out there. Thanks Edit: Also, think I should invest in an Alldata account if I'm going to be getting more work in the future?

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
8/27/14 8:17 a.m.

Autel. Make sure it is a US version and not the Chinese one you can't get support for or update. Unlike Snap-On your updates are continuous for a year not one and done. This is important since if there is a glitch or lack of support for a certain model you're stuck for a year. Also updates are only $695 direct and include tech support and warranty continuation for another year.

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/27/14 9:12 a.m.

I'll second Autel. I have the maxidas ds708 and it works ok. The menus are kind of a mess so I have to re-learn where everything is at when I plug it into a new car.

I paid about $1200 and for that price it is a fantastic deal.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/14 10:20 a.m.

Autel makes the new HF "pro-level" scanner, but not with the same software, updates, or support. Also, stay away from the "Launch" brand, they are a very low-end scanner that honestly don't do much more than your typical $250 scanner from a parts store.

I sell all the major non-tool-truck brands, and of all of them I like the OTC Encore the best. It's an Android tablet in a hard case (so no hardware crashes like the Snap-On or Windows 8 touchscreen ones) and the OTC software is awesome with great coverage (they are the OEM suppliers for Subaru, Jaguar, and Land Rover scan tools). It's on sale at the big blue and yellow car parts store for $1879.

All that said, I have the pay version of Torque OBD downloaded on my Galaxy S4 with a bluetooth OBD dongle...

Leafy
Leafy Reader
8/27/14 12:04 p.m.

Normally ABS and airbag access is limited to dealer tools only. So you probably need the specific toyota tool for the job.

Make sure though that there isnt a grounding and pedal sequence to throw the abs into test mode. Might have to look for other models with the same pump to get the real info. Alternatively you could make a mess bleeding at the flare nuts to the abs system and introduce minimal air into the abs pump and just be able to bleed it all out without doing computer bullE36 M3.

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
8/27/14 6:06 p.m.
Leafy wrote: Normally ABS and airbag access is limited to dealer tools only. So you probably need the specific toyota tool for the job.

And that's why I need a top end level scan tool, there's plenty of independent shops and mechanics out there, and I don't think they all have OEM specific scantools.

Leafy
Leafy Reader
8/27/14 6:08 p.m.
t25torx wrote:
Leafy wrote: Normally ABS and airbag access is limited to dealer tools only. So you probably need the specific toyota tool for the job.
And that's why I need a top end level scan tool, there's plenty of independent shops and mechanics out there, and I don't think they all have OEM specific scantools.

They dont, and plenty of them will tell you that sadly they dont have a GM Tech II scanner so they cant tell you what your abs code is much less properly bleed your brakes, or in some cases arent even able to rotate your tires for you because TPMS can only be accessed with the dealer scanner.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
8/27/14 6:28 p.m.

I don't know about GM or Toyota, but a friend who runs a high end German shop does have the computers that can do all of the "dealer stuff" far beyond a typical code scanner. He pays dearly for the yearly subscription. Baum Tools sells one and IIRC, it will do most US & Pacific cars as well as the Euro stuff.

Apparently M-B has required a computer to replace rear pads for years now, so this is not a new thing. If the system isn't set into some sort of service mode, the rear calipers can clamp shut without warning and with enough force to crush fingers.

Personally, I considered doing what you're doing - taking the next step and actually trying to do some work on the side for extra cash. But the simple fact is I decided the liability risk just isn't worth the few extra $ I'd get and it was unlikely I'd do enough business to justify insurance. I did talk to a guy on TDiClub who does this (pretty much only TDi's) and he confirmed he does carry insurance should something go sour.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
8/27/14 6:30 p.m.
Leafy wrote:
t25torx wrote:
They dont, and plenty of them will tell you that sadly they dont have a GM Tech II scanner so they cant tell you what your abs code is much less properly bleed your brakes, or in some cases arent even able to rotate your tires for you because TPMS can only be accessed with the dealer scanner.

Autel MS908 will do all that and more. MS908P reflashes using either the tool* or a laptop depending on vehicle. It is the ONLY one that will flash through the tool right now.

*Reflashing through the tool is free and requires no paid subscription as of today

gearheadmb
gearheadmb New Reader
8/28/14 7:16 a.m.

I have an OTC genesis which I like really well. I bought it used from a shop for $500, which still seems to be about the going rate for them. A good way to find them is let someone who sells new scanners know you are looking, they will tell you if any of their customers want to sell their old one. Thats how I found mine. The otc is pretty user friendly and I liked it better than the snap-on solus we had at the shop I used to work for. I don't know if it will bleed a toyota, but it is great for reading and clearing codes, and monitoring live data. My favorite option on it is that you can select which data you want to see, and selecting only a few things makes it much faster. So if you have abs acting up you can choose to only watch the wheel speed sensors, and put it in graphing mode so you dont have to catch it as it happens. The software updates are expensive, so if you are buying used find out how up to date it is. Mine is only good to 2006, and the software update to make it current is around $800.

solfly
solfly Reader
8/28/14 10:35 a.m.

we have the solus ultra and it seems to do everything we've needed. we also have a launch

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
9/27/18 8:03 a.m.

I got this in an e-mail last week.

Autel on sale at ToolPan

They even warn of the counterfeited non supported units so seems one must be carefull when buying.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
9/27/18 3:34 p.m.

Depending on what your computer knowledge is, the McBudget way is to use cloned factory scan tools.

For my 2006 Toyota its a matter of getting a copy of TIS Techstream and a cable, I bought both for around $17 on Amazon.  

For my Mercedes I was able to get a C3 Multiplexer from Ali Express, configure it to run on an old Toughbook with an image of STAR.  It was current to 2015 which was plenty new for me, and was the older version that did offline coding so you did not have to phone home.  

And then there are the Tech 2 clones, the free scanners like ForScan, etc.  

Could do most everything with a few shopping trips to Ali Express or Ebay.

Please note that all of the clones you are going to need some computer knowledge and forum reading to get up and running.  Very little of it is truly plug and play despite what the ads may lead you to believe.  

rocketrich1
rocketrich1 None
9/29/18 4:59 a.m.

t25torx, I'm interested in what you bought and how satisfied you are with it.  I've got a stable of different cars and as a DIY'er have run into the same issue you've mentioned.  I've heard about the Autel models and that seems to be where I'm heading.  Its not cool when you've replaced the pads, sensors, bled the brakes, and can't get the light to go out on the dash! I've decided I need to up my game with a really capable diagnostic tool as well. So I'd appreciated any further wisdom on the subject! Thanks, Rich

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/29/18 7:04 a.m.

Zombie thread, canoe removed.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 New Reader
9/29/18 7:39 a.m.

You need all of them. Seriously. 

I do more or less everything here as I type this from my office may bays look like this

MY bay SRT4, Insp bay Mazda 3, Junk bay turbo e30, truck bay some sort of Hyundai, on deck for the day is a pair of N54 BMWs. You need many tools to work on a full line of cars effectively. Here's my arsenal:

Verus pro/edge (whatever the last pre-Zeus tool was) my go to does almost everything well enough not ideal for some euro cars.

OTC Encore: maddening even more so if you're used to Snap-on interfaces but picks up the 10% of slack that the Verus leaves

Maxisys: got it for nearly free kind of feel like I overpaid ( lots of people love them I just haven't used it enough to like it) 

CarDaq: Even if you don't plan to flash having 13 truly OE equivalent tools for $1800 isn't going to be beaten.  

Snap-On MT2400: Best meter you'll ever use. I prefer scanner and scope to be two different tools I can often get where I need to be with the MT2400 using my Verus as the scan tool. When I need a real scope I'll use the Verus and one of the other scanners. 

On a budget I'd look for a Snapon dealer who still has a Verus to unload or a recent trade in. I bought mine new for about 40% of its retail price when the Zeus came out. If you don't have a friendly local dealer I guess I'd get the OTC tool just understand Bosch offers virtually no training or support. 

rocketrich1
rocketrich1 New Reader
9/29/18 8:05 a.m.

In reply to Byrneon27 :  Thanks. Some of the you tube videos I saw seemed to imply an Autel tool would service a wide variety of makes. I’m really on the hunt for only one good diagnostic tool for my own DIY purposes. 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 New Reader
9/30/18 9:00 a.m.

It may very well as I said I almost never use mine. One of my guys uses it more frequently than I do I'll talk with him on Monday see if he can give a better recommendation . 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WOmqEg5uC801USCR3U0uFm4uiQgtkKdjOJGuxvJPnr5jSrjSDdVFOmwCkc9qIPF4