Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
4/6/13 12:59 a.m.

I had pretty much resigned my choice to the Dunlop ZII but want to see what some of you think. The main restrictor is 16x 8.5 wheels, which are great but 16s are limited in tire choice. I have an EP3 Civic so need as much tread up front as possible with the McPhersons.

Dunlops; 225/45, 8.5 tread, perfect for the wheel.

RE11s; 245/45, about 9.25-9.5 (shaved). Much needed tread. Would these be slower due to the narrow wheel? I'm sure this is the case but hoping to be convinced otherwise in case I'm missing something.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/6/13 8:41 a.m.

I dunno about the width problem, 9.25 wide tires on an 8.5 wheel are practically squeezed on, but in terms of compound I'd say the Z2 is better for autocross and the RE11 is better for track use. In fact I think the Z2 would be quicker for autocross regardless of the width difference with the RE11.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
4/6/13 9:20 a.m.

Is this a street tire class issue? The toyo r888 is available in the 225/45 16.

edit: totally messed up my original post

I'm anxious to hear about the bfgoodrich Rival, it's $2 cheaper than the dunlop.

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
4/6/13 9:45 a.m.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
4/6/13 9:57 a.m.

In the 200 tread wear battle, competing we have the RE11, Z2, 615K, Rival, and now the RS3.

From the latest issue, it looks like the ZII is a peakier tire, meaning if you're really, really good, it'll be faster. However, the Rival is more gradual, like the RS3. I want to see a heads up comparison between all of the contenders, at the autox and the track. GRM, possible feature article?

Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
4/6/13 2:40 p.m.

Not a street class issue, ruled the R888 out, other tires mentioned aren't available in my specs, don't care about cost, etc, etc. Just a rhetorical tire width vs. wheel width performance question. I was hoping for, " Sure, for some reason, RE11s love a smaller wheel! Do it!". Back to reality.

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
4/6/13 3:51 p.m.

The tire type/brand will make more difference than the wheel width, most likely.

Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
4/6/13 6:30 p.m.
iceracer wrote: The tire type/brand will make more difference than the wheel width, most likely.

Such as an R888 or RA1 being able to handle a smaller width?.... I might be willing to consider them....

Needs more beef (and Keith Tanner wabbit flares);

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TcKpC99ZB5FWQWCSnHeVN8pOt28UT58dVcPLy4qXUORC4P1gKz7bsLYqVrJmDrvn